Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicing vrs Blending I'm confused HELP
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2006 03:12AM

Hi I'm new here and have just started to eat Raw. I am trying to decide whether to buy a juicer or blender (high powered one). But because of the conflicting information I am receiving I don't know which one to buy.

One article says there is not one shred of nutrition in the pulp and that it is actually toxic so I should get a juicer.

Another articles says most of the nutrition is IN the pulp and I should buy a blender (high powered one).

I need to buy either a juicer or blender but don't know which one to get. I'd appreciate some input on this so I can make an informed decision. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing vrs Blending I'm confused HELP
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 16, 2006 03:31AM

I'd recommend that you start with a blender for Blended Salads and Fruit Smoothies. You may decide later that you'd like to do some juicing. Our bodies don't run as efficiently on food as they do on juices, nor do we have as much energy. The hardest work our body does is digesting food and expelling the pulp.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2006 06:10PM

Yogi, If the body has a hard time expelling pulp would it be better to go with a juicer instead of a blender since the blender has the pulp in it?

I have an oster blender now but it doesn't blend it up all the way - I still have chunks of stuff in it. I only use it until I get a high speed blender or juicer.

Thank you so much for responding. Edi

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 16, 2006 08:12PM

Edi, rather than buying a high end/powerful blender, why not get a cheaper blender and a juicer, use both for a while and then decide what is best for you based on what you are liking and enjoying. When starting out I think it's important to try as much as possible without subscribing to some of the wacky ideas out there (like juicing is posion, pulp is toxic, etc.). Don't worry about having the fancy blenders and stuff.

Also, buying a used juicer can save you money, people buy them on a health kick, hardly use 'em, then a year or two later sell it cheap because it's taking up so much room.

Good luck,
Ian.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 18, 2006 02:19AM

Blending and juicing are both good. Try them both then decide what's best for you. Juicing is much more difficult than Blending. That's why I said start with Blending. I prefer Juicing. The main thing is to do something.......WY

Posted by: GoneGreen ()
Date: December 18, 2006 07:39PM

Edi
this is what i did. i started with a juicer, a small one a allready had.
i wanted too try blending but my blender allso was a low h.p. one.
so i juiced then dumped the juice and some of the pulp into the blender.
that way i could try bouth ways out before spending money and burning the blender up.

It makes some kind of sence too me that nature puts them together in a package so i eat them that way.

i like the pulp as i am not as hungry so soon. There is for me anyway a interesting side effect. I sleep more hrs with the pulp. My dreams are not as real as with just juice. Was sleeping 4 to 5 with the juice, 7 with the pulp.
For me the question was is there more phytochemicals in juicing or blending?

a pro juice page
[www.discountjuicers.com]

a pro blend page
[www.rawfoodadvantage.com]

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: December 20, 2006 11:41PM

Edi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi I'm new here and have just started to eat Raw.
> I am trying to decide whether to buy a juicer or
> blender (high powered one). But because of the
> conflicting information I am receiving I don't
> know which one to buy.
>
> One article says there is not one shred of
> nutrition in the pulp and that it is actually
> toxic so I should get a juicer.
>
> Another articles says most of the nutrition is IN
> the pulp and I should buy a blender (high powered
> one).
>
> I need to buy either a juicer or blender but don't
> know which one to get. I'd appreciate some input
> on this so I can make an informed decision.
> Thanks

All the nutrients are in the juice, when you juice all you're doing is getting rid of the fiber of the fruit/vegetable. this way your body doesn't have to go through the digestion process. While when blending it does, but it's still much easier/quicker for your body to process than actually eating. Also always make sure to chew your smoothies and juices since it activates the salivary amylase enzymes!

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: December 21, 2006 05:51PM

Check out Ebay -- I got my vitamix used on Ebay for VERY cheap -- it is one of those old stainless steel ones with the spigot -- often the machines have been rarely used and are like new. I've had mine for about 3 years, use it multiple times a day and have never had any problems! Ebay probably has used juicers as well. Then you get both a juicer and a high-speed blender for what you would pay for just one machine.
Good luck.

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: December 21, 2006 06:20PM

Also, if you do decide to check out ebay, look up Vitamix all three ways -- vitamix, vita mix and vita-mix -- to see everything that's listed there.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 25, 2006 03:50AM

Blender: you need the fiber. With juicing, you are throwing away the best part. You might also get that uncomfortable sugar spike, it makes me spacey and I don't like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables