Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
K-Tec Champ HP3 vs. Vitamix
Posted by: ColoradoGal ()
Date: December 29, 2006 03:11AM

I am in the process of upgrading to a real blender. I am doing the research but would like some feedback on your experiences with both units.
Thanks for your help,
Gina

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Tec Champ HP3 vs. Vitamix
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 29, 2006 08:10PM

I would like to recommend the Vita-Mix 5000. The only 'flaw' is the polycarbonate container, where glass would be better.
I think I read somewhere that the K-Tec has programmed cycles and doesn't always blend efficiently. I like the manual controls of the Vita-Mix. Plus, I like the Tamper for pushing the mixture with the Vita-Mix. The K-Tec doesn't have a Tamper. The claim is that it's not needed. The K-Tec does have more power....3 hp vs. 2 hp.
I'm not attacking the K-Tec, just opening this topic for discussion.
It's like driving an automobile. You get used to one and don't want to change......WY

Date: December 30, 2006 12:36AM

I decided to go with the blendtec. I like the features, design, and hp. I'll let you know when I get it if it meets up to expectations.
Thanks,
Gina

Date: January 06, 2007 02:37PM

I got a Blendtec and I am very pleased with it. The electronic controls are excellent. There are settings for soup, smoothies, fruit, etc. I am ready to start uncooking with my new blender.
Gina

Date: January 07, 2007 03:48AM

Gina.....Good Luck with your Blendtec. No one ever listens to me anyway.
Always go with your own feelings, and I'll do the same.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2007 11:50PM

My wife and I have had our blend-tec for about a year now and just love it. I
certainly would find a good use for a tamper, but it has not proven to be
essential. We bought ours on ebay for about 150 less than the store.
I really think that this thing can liquify ballbearings.
Controls? on the right side there is the pulse, and the airraid siren that is
presure controlled. So you can purr...or bring in the troops.
We love it.

Peace
Frettsl

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 21, 2007 02:15AM

Although skeptical at first, I'm really happy with my blendtec. It does a great job and has proven to be a great time saver. A lot easier to keep clean than my previous ($20 Target) blender. I don't think I've heard of many people being disappointed with either the Vitamix or blendtec. The blendtec is supposed to be short than the vitamix, while this didn't effect my choice at the time, I'm glad the blendtec isn't taller, since it fits nicely on my counter top without bumping the over head cabinates.

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:25AM

ooohh I really want one of these too. Decisions decisions. I will probably get the vitamix because it has the compact container (32 oz) as an option, but I prefer the look of the Blendtec. Whatever, it's so exciting when you get to buy something new that you really want!

Next up an awesome Global knife set to better filet mangos and segment grapefruit.

Date: February 16, 2007 07:15AM

It's good to be different, isn't it? I remember one reviewer somewhere, saying about the Blendtec....."It's expensive, but doesn't look it". I don't think it looks that bad......WY

Date: February 18, 2007 04:15AM

Yeah, I was a little concerned the blendtec wasn't that sturdy since it was much liter than the vitamix, but I think it's really pretty well built, the base is heavy enough to keep it from moving around when it's on full blast and the such.

Ian.

Date: February 18, 2007 06:50PM

One of the Blendtec's selling features is that it's 'short' enough to fit under kitchen wall cabinets. But that would mean having to pull it out and push it back everytime it's used. No big deal really, but I like my 'tall' Vita-Mix in its permanent location.......WY

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: February 18, 2007 09:27PM

you know, when I saw apple computers' new cell phone I wished they would make a juicer and a blender and revolutionize those markets also. They just make everything so sleek and beautiful.

But since the odds of that are somewhere between slim and none, does anyone know of the best place online to buy a vitamix? I've done a little looking and $399 is the best so far. I've heard the white ones quickly fade to a yellowish hue, so black is preferred.

Date: February 18, 2007 10:19PM

Forrest.....My white Vita-Mix 5000 has faded a little, but it's not too bad. You can buy a reconditioned model for $329, if I remember correctly. Also, you might find one on eBay for a lot less, but then again, you can't be sure of what you're getting. I'd recommend buying a new one from Vita-Mix and just paying the $399. That's what I did many years ago. The price has stayed the same for as long as I can remember......Wheatgrass Yogi

Date: February 19, 2007 01:13AM

My Blendtec is also in a perminent location, but under a cabinate. There isn't any need "to pull it out and push it back everytime it's used", the whole thing can be operated under a kitchen cabinate, the jug can be removed from and place on the base without any problem. So it isn't just for storage. This wasn't a big selling point for me, but I was happy this worked out when I shuffled my kitchen around a bit.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: March 02, 2007 02:53PM

Both are great blenders...
It just depends on what you want out of a blender. If you buy a blender and you are expecting something else then you won't like it. Some people love using the tamper.. some people just want to throw it all in and push a button.
The more you can control a blender the better. I personally think the ones with the tamper are the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 03:07PM by Rawgetarian.

Date: March 04, 2007 09:07PM

I have used both blenders. (I actually have the K-tec for sale if anyone is interested--practically new). They are both extremely powerful. I make smoothies every morning with it.

The K-tec has an electronic programmable key-pad that is convenient. It will cylce slow-medium-fast or medium-fast-slow or whatever you want. I think that these are used in a lot of coffee/smoothie shops because the workers can push 1 button and then go do something else during the blending time. The ktec seems more powerful than the vitamix. With this power comes and increase in decibals--not too bad, but noticable louder than the vitamix.

The vitamix (5000) has a knob where you can manually adjust the speed from 1 to 10 and then--Pow!!!--hit it with the high speed and let the pulvarizing begin! As mentioned in an earlier post, it also comes with a plunger, which I will occasionally use. It especially comes in handy when you put little to no liquid in the blender. I use it to make the basis for fruit roll-ups (with the Excalibur dehydrator) and other concoctions.

In the end, though, I prefer the manual controls of the vitamix. So I went with it and have boxed up the K-tec. I have some pics on the web on a blog that I rarely post to. If anyone is interested in buying it, it's for sale.

Here is the site:

[smcdanie.blogspot.com]
[smcdanie.blogspot.com]

It is hard to go wrong with either of these two heavy-duty blenders.

Scott

Date: March 06, 2007 02:37PM

Everyone... compare the k tec to the vitamix 3+hp blender.. not the 3hp to the 2hp blender.. the 3hp is in a different category of blenders.. compare apples to apples.. look up 3HP blender or look up on google vita prep 3 and you will see the differences.

Date: March 06, 2007 07:57PM

Smcdanie how much are you looking to get for the Ktec?

Date: March 07, 2007 04:05AM

I know someone who is tryin to get rid of their k tec stock.. 310 free shipping.

Date: March 17, 2007 12:14PM

$200 for the K-tec.

Date: March 18, 2007 04:04AM

I just ordered Vita-Mix's new 3 HP blender, the Vita-Prep 3, from an eBay vendor. It was $465 plus $25 shipping. Gotta break down those Cell Walls. If you're going to get serious about juicing and blending....Get Serious!!!......WY

Date: March 20, 2007 06:03AM

I talked with someone in the commercial division of Vita Mix today. She told me that the warranty on the Vita Prep 3 is one year and a limited warranty on years 2 and 3. If anything goes wrong after one year there is a flat $150 charge for repairing it. Add shipping costs around $22 to $25 and that really starts to add up.

I don't know the specifics about the Blendtec 3HP warranty.

I'm getting real close to buying a 3HP.

Date: March 20, 2007 05:24PM

Commercial Restaurants are the 'target' market for the Vita Prep 3. They 'punish' their equipment. The Vita Prep 3 has a 1-year warranty because of this. Every other Vita-Mix blender has a 7 year warranty for home use. For home use the Vita Prep 3 should probably get at least a 10 year warranty, but Vita-Mix Corporation can't make the distinction......WY

Date: March 20, 2007 09:13PM

Becareful when believing the companies marketing "HP" rating. I think they just put "HP" in the name of the blend to make it seem cool. I'm have a hard time finding out the correct Motor rating for the Vita-Prep 3.

According to this site:
[www.oequip.com]

The Vita-Prep 3 has any where from a 900Watt motor to 1200Watt motor (a little over 1 horsepower to a bit under 2 horsepower). I notice that Vita mix seem to have avoided giving the motor rating for their new blender marketing material, instead they give the Ampage, making it a little tricky to compare blenders.
They claim these are 3 horsepower blenders, but they must have been using some sick horses to measure with this those blender's watt ratings are much weaker than the horsepower listed.

The Home blendtec blender has a 1500Watt motor, around 2 horse power.

If anybody has a top of line vita mix, could you take a look on the back or bottom and let me know the motor wattage rating.

Of course, I'm sure these guys are trying to refer to peak horsepower (which is a useless, almost dirty/low-life, marketing stat), which could well be the most power your jammed blender can generate just before it explodes! Who knows, I feel they are intentionally being quite about the real power rating of there equipment.

Thanks,
Ian.

Date: March 20, 2007 09:53PM

I should be getting my Vita Prep 3 Model 1005 soon. I'll look at the back and get the wattage rating to post at this thread. My Vita-Mix 5000 Model 103 reads 11.5 Amps on the back and doesn't give a wattage......WY

Date: March 21, 2007 12:35AM

[cgi.ebay.com]

The information I just found says the Vita-Mix Vita-Prep 3 (Model 1005) has a 3 year warranty and is rated at 12.5 Amps. No wattage figures are listed. It does seem a little strange that the Vita-Mix Corporation doesn't sell this blender, even though their name is on it........WY

Date: March 21, 2007 04:11AM

Vita Mix makes and sells the Vita Prep 2 but I think it's only through dealers, not sure on that one.

Regarding whether there is really such an animal as a 3 horse power blender, here's what I've learned:

To find the watts, multiply the amps x volts. I found a site that explains how to find out the watts on an electric motor when I googled "watts, horsepower, amps equivalent".

The Vita Mix 5000 has 11.5 amps and 120 VAC (Volts). When you multiply 11.5 times 120 you get 1380 watts.

The Vita Prep 3 has 12.5 amps and 120 VAC which means it has 1500 watts of power.
Theoretically, 1000 watts equals 1 horse power. Realistically 746 watts equals 1 horse power.

I don't see how they can say the Vita Prep 3 or the Blendtec (3 HP) is a 3 horse power.

I talked with Vita Prep today and discussed my uncertainty and confusion about the Vita Mix 5000 and the Vita Prep 3 namely, which would be the best to buy for my goals of building health and longevity.

She mentioned there is a website that is promoting the 3HP and that this site is giving out lots of misinformation and causing confusion. (I knew immediately which site she was referring to.) I was told that the Vita Prep 3 was designed for businesses that run blenders 24/7 and that health departments require restaurants to have NSF certification on their blenders. The Vita Prep 3 has this certification. I was also told that Vita Mix is not happy with the owner of this site saying "they're not even a dealer". She said the Vita Prep 3 and the Vita Mix 5000 have the same number of revolutions.

Date: March 22, 2007 12:29AM

I called Vita Mix today and asked to speak to someone in technical support. Someone called me back about an hour later and basically said the 2 blenders do the same thing. There were lots of food service companies using the 5000 model when it as designed for home use. That's why they came out with the Vita Prep 3.

About 5 minutes later, an engineer from Vita Mix called. He told me they do not rate the blenders on electrical values but on mechanical performance. Here's the bottom line, right from the horse's mouth: There is no difference between the Vita Mix 5000 and the Vita Prep 3 in terms of their ability to extract nutrients from seeds.

i finally have my question answered! What a pain. I have wasted a lot of time trying to find out if the "3 HP is better and don't waste your money on a 2 HP" was true or false. It goes to show you, you cannot believe everything you read.

Date: March 22, 2007 02:00AM

I used the Vita Prep 3 for the first time today. I had a Smoothie and also blended some veggie scraps for my wheatgrass fertilizer mix. The power is unbelievable compared to my old (10 years) Vita-Mix 5000. I thought it was going to explode on the High Speed override switch. It may be a bit of an overkill, but I'm happy......WY
P.S. Using Ohm's Law, the wattage is 1500, compared to 1380 for the Vita-Mix 5000.

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 28, 2007 02:39PM

I have the vitaprep 3 and it is wonderful. But, I also loved my old stainless steel vitamix that I used for years and picked up for very little $ on ebay. The SS one still works -- we needed a second blender for my DH to use at work -- of course he took the old one, but of course I share the vitaprep with him when he's home!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables