Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: K-Tec Champ HP3 vs. Vitamix
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 30, 2007 06:53AM

Does the horsepower of the Jack LaLanne blender compare well to the other two? You do want it to be powerful. I know what you mean about the price. The Blendtec was quite an investment for me too and it took me a while to afford, but well worth it. I hope you enjoy whichever you buy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kalechick ()
Date: September 30, 2007 09:35PM

karennd,

The Jack Lalanne according to the site it's on said the horsepower is 2 which is the same as the Vitamix. No one has mentioned whether it's good or not though so I'm up in the air about that one. Do you find your Blendtec loud. Two different sources I've found says you have to wear ear protection because it's so loud so that's a minor concern. When I compare the Vitamix 5000 to the Blendtec HP3A I can't afford the Vitamix at this point but could get the Blendtec.

Date: September 30, 2007 11:31PM

karennd,

Just found this link on this site about the Jack LaLanne and it got good and bad reviews: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Thinking this is not the way to go.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: October 01, 2007 12:53AM

Aarrgghhhh... I am so confused! I have read through most of this post. Can someone help me summarize this correctly?

There are two main manufacturers of "good" blenders: Vitamix and Blendtec.

Vitamix makes the 5000 and VitaPrep. According to an engineer with Vitamix (post by mary) both of these products perform the same with respect to extraction of nutrients. The 5000 is marketed for home use. The Vitaprep is marketed for businesses.

Blendtec Makes K-Tec and "The Total Blender." I am going to assume that Blendtec does something similar to Vitamix with its marketing of these two models (1 is for home and 1 is for business) but I have not read enough.

Someone please correct me on my next statements if I am wrong...all of these models produce pretty much similar results. The differences are more about individual features.

The 2 versus 3 rating of HP is the rating of the motor itself and is not necessarily the blender's output given all the other variables placed on the motor - case, container, blades, ingredients, electrical input, etc.

For the most part, they are priced in a similar range ($350-500) and it is a matter of watching for sales to get the best deal.

So in the end if one is to purchase, look at the features, decide what you want, then wait for the right sale.

Any other thoughts, input, opinions, recommendations out there?? I would like to evaluate the features and such, decide on a model, and then wait for the "attack" (aka sale).

Thanks ya'll for your work on this.

Patty

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 01, 2007 02:38AM

sewraw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aarrgghhhh... I am so confused! I have read through most of this post. Can someone help me summarize this correctly? There are two main manufacturers of "good" blenders: Vitamix and Blendtec. Vitamix makes the 5000 and VitaPrep. According to an engineer with Vitamix (post by mary) both of these products perform the same with respect to extraction of nutrients. That's not true. That engineer has not used both machines. I own both, and the Vita-Prep 3 is much more powerful than the Vita-Mix 5000. The 5000 is marketed for home use. The Vitaprep is marketed for businesses. Now that is true. I had one Heck of a time buying the VP-3. Vita-Mix doesn't sell it directly to the public. I got mine on eBay. I would recommend the VP-3 to everyone.
> someone please correct me on my next statements if I am wrong...all of these models produce pretty much similar results. The differences are more about individual features. I know for sure that I don't like the Programmed Cycles of the Blendtec "Total Blender". I like to manually control the blending myself. The Blentec may be designed for people who can't stay with their blending, like Chefs, where every second in Food Preparation is important .....WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2007 02:46AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 01, 2007 04:46AM

kalechick, yeah that link would scare me away from the Jack LaLanne blender too. My Blendtec is a 3 horsepower and (I'm no expert) but I think some of the Vitamix blenders are 3 hp also. No, I do not find my Blendtec that loud. I do warn the kids in the neighboring family room that I am going to blend and they pause their TV watching until I am done. But it definitely doesn't hurt my ears. I have heard the Vitamix is loud also.

I found this comparison of Vitamix and Blendtec [www.rawguru.com] that I thought might be helpful.

Date: October 01, 2007 05:21AM

karennd Wrote:
> I have heard the Vitamix is loud also. Yes, it's true. My Vita-Prep 3 is quite loud at the highest speed, but it only has to be on Ultra High-Speed for a few seconds. I blend my Green Smoothies for 15 seconds at the highest speed, and I'm considering going to 10 seconds.
>
> I found this comparison of Vitamix and Blendtec [www.rawguru.com]- tec-comparison-chart.html that I thought might be helpful. Your chart is unfair because the 3HP Vita-Prep 3 by Vita-Mix isn't included. It's probably an old chart, before the VP-3 came out.....WY

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: October 02, 2007 05:04AM

I saw a "noise reducing pad" for the Vitamix for sale. It looked like a cushion that fits between the motor and container. Is there any value to that?

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Date: October 02, 2007 05:09AM

sewraw,

Tell me about it. I'm still trying to decide what to get since I haven't tried either or seen them in person blend fruit etc. Yeah I've watched the videos but I have no idea if I'll like a tamper or if I won't until I can try it myself. That is the tough part you just have to do your research, listen to everyone and then make a choice.

I too am hearing a lot about the Vita Mix Prep 3 and it sounds great but it is more than the Blendtec.

Posted by: roostermillard ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:48AM

I am still trying to decide . Blentec 15amps, 18amps, 20amps or Vitamix. I have a 26 year old vita-mix 3600plus. It has broken twice and sent in for repairs. Put it away for 7 years dug it out again and have been using it since October 2008. Does blend veggies into total juice but does a pretty good job.
I want a blender that will turn all the veggies into juice and make great smoothies as well. Need help deciding. Thank you.
I want to eat liquid meals everyday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 06:49AM by roostermillard.

Date: January 23, 2009 02:38PM

roostermillard Wrote:
> I am still trying to decide . Blentec 15amps,
> 18amps, 20amps or Vitamix.
It was fun reading these old posts from over 2 years
ago.
I'd say to forget the 18A and 20A models. That
much power is not needed, plus they're very loud.
I'm still 'pushing' the Vita-Mix, and continue to be happy
with my Vita-Prep 3, but the Vita-Mix 5200 would be a good
choice. Still, many people like their Blendtecs.
P.S. The Tamper for the Vita-Mix is never needed if the mixture
is 'liquid' enough.......WY

[www.perfectsmoothie.com]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables