Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do I need the dry blade for the Vitamix?
Posted by: Crisyn ()
Date: January 07, 2007 05:55PM

Hi all! This is my first post - I am so glad to have found this community.
I have pretty much decided to purchase the Vitamix (although I do have brief moments when I fluctuate between it and the Blendtex), but I am wondering if someone can tell me if the dry blade addition is worthwhile?
I plan to use the blender for nut butters, grinding nuts and seeds (flax, almond, etc.), smoothies and sauces.
I read a review that said the dry blade is useless for raw foodies, but then in one of my raw cookbooks it says to use the dry blade for grinding the nuts and seeds, so I wanted to get some feedback from people who have used one. Is it really necessary, or can I do everything with the wet blade?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I need the dry blade for the Vitamix?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 08, 2007 02:00AM

Crisyn......I never bought the dry blade for my Vita-Mix. The Vita-Mix 5000 comes without the dry blade and extra container for about $100 less. I purchased a small coffee mill for making nut butters but rarely use it.
[www.lnt.com]
It does a good job if you only eat small amounts at a time. It also comes in white, which is the one I own.......WY
P.S. Making nut butters in a blender, or juicer, only makes a big mess. Best to grind it dry in a little coffee mill and add a little lemon juice to make it the proper consistency.

Posted by: Crisyn ()
Date: January 11, 2007 07:49PM

Thanks for the advice!
I ended up ordering the Vitamix with just the regular wet blade. I will try your way of making nut butter - it sounds easy!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 12, 2007 04:13PM

Crisyn......Another thing you might decide to do is order a smaller container in addition to the 64 oz. container that comes with the machine. I use the 64 oz. container for composting fruit and vegetable scraps and use a 48 oz. container for individual sized Smoothies and Blended Salads. Vita-Mix no longer makes the 48 oz. container, however they do sell a 32 oz. container.
[www.goodmans.net]
It's a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Goodman's sells it for $106, whereas Vita-Mix.com has it for $134.
Good Luck with your Vita-Mix.......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables