Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

basics of juicing
Posted by: Sage10 ()
Date: January 10, 2007 04:09PM

Hey there,

I am new to the idea of juicing foods, fruits etc. and I was wondering how I get started with this...

I am unsure of things like

1) Can I use a normal blender or do I need a 'juicer' specifically?

2) What sort of fruits/vegetables are good for juicing? Or more importantly, which things should I look out for(are not suitable for juicing)?

3) Do I add water? or is purified water required?

4) If I juice veggies then do I need to cook them first or what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: basics of juicing
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 10, 2007 05:52PM

a juicer is required for juicing. anyone who tell you that a blender is a juicer is not being truthful. a heavy duty twin gear is what you need for universal juicing capabilities.

Date: January 10, 2007 06:21PM

start out with a half and half carrot apple juice.

water and purified water are only necessary for blending which as i stated earlier is not juicing.

do not cook. juicing is a raw food concept. that is why bottled juices are not eavan a fraction as healthy as raw juice is.

what is your reason for wanting to juice?

jj

Date: January 11, 2007 12:31PM

Hey,

I want to juice mainly as a means of detoxification. I have heard that "solid" foods(so to speak) require many more digestive enzymes to change the nutrients into usable form. Enzymes that could otherwise be used for detoxification.

Also, To get my energy levels up and to stop feeling so lethargic alot of the time.

Date: January 11, 2007 02:09PM

ok... you are on the right track if you can see the importrance of detox.

in my opinion detox is the most important facet of health and longevity.

raw foods are complete with enzymes too....if you wish to supplement additional enzymes to your diet with enzyme supplements ...do it ...its ok.

juice fasting by: paavo airola is a good book to start you out with.

i wish you sucess in your in your new endeavor.

jj

Date: January 15, 2007 09:39PM

Thanks for your help.
I am going to try and get my hands on a juicer some time soon.
There is on ething that I don' treally get about juice fasts. And that is that you get miniscule amounts of proteins and fats. Do I need to supplement these when juice fasting or should I leave them for that period?

Also, with regards to enzymes. Raw foods contain them. But as far as supplementation goes, would it be wise to get an enzyme blend that uses only a few sources to get adequate amounts of proteases, lipases, amylases etc. or should I go for one which uses a variety of sources to get the same amount of enzymes?

Date: January 16, 2007 02:50PM

the idea behind fasting is that we are getting rid of stuff...hence the need for proteins and other nutrients is not needed here. our sole purpose is to "empty" or take out the garbage. our bodies are capable of going for periods of time without out food and nutrients. when food is cut off, the body turns its efforts on clean up and getting rid of stuff. enzyme supplements are of a different class of nutients...they act as catalysts and they help split apart more complex molecules such as proteins so that they can either be recycled if the body has need for or empty out if they body des not have a need for them. mucous from they metabolism of primarily animal based and refined foods is one of the major components that are eliminated during the fast.

hope that clarifies,

jj

Date: January 17, 2007 05:02PM

Hey,

I think i get it now. To be very honest about this whole thing, that sort of deprivation doesn't seem to be quite healthy. But I suppose one thing I cannot dispute is first-hand experience from a number of people. Have you juice fasted for extended periods of time? If so, what was your experience like?( sounds like an idea for a new thread)

Another thing, how would I disadvantage myself if I use a normal blender instead of a juicer?

Date: January 17, 2007 05:37PM

deprivation is not the point...cleansing is the trade off. if you see it as a negative you may as well stay toxic. blender is the same as eating food...no fast is possible with pulp. (blender)

go at your own pace and enjoy knowing your reward is a cleaner body inside. it is really quite simple.

good luck

jj

Date: January 17, 2007 07:21PM

what about green drinks purchased from health food stores? are those allowed?

(They are supposed to be rich in enzymes)

and do I have to stop all other supplements when juice fasting?

Date: January 17, 2007 08:34PM

liquids which are plant based would be ok..no milk etc. herbal teas, water and evan a little black coffee would be ok. i say this from a personal opinion and i know that many would disagree with me...but the main idea is to refrain from solid foods so that the digestive system can turn off and the automatic cleansing mode kicks in when solid foods are not eaten. certain supplements may be a bit too sytrong ... you can experiment and if you get a bad reaction you will know it.

what it comes down to in the final analysis is that each person must tailor their own program based on the fundamentals ..most of which have been discussed n our thread here.

get a book on fasting and do some research of you own. i sense that you might not be really serious but only curious at this time

good luck
jj

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:30AM

If you're just interested in detoxing and being this new you might want to look into "The Master Cleanse" aka "The Lemonade Diet". It's how I started. It's easy you just have to squeeze lemmons or spend $5-$20 for a cheap citrus juicer that way you won't waste money on a juicer that you might not use again. If you're going to be serious about juicing the good ones cost at least $250. Those cheap juicers like Jack LaLanne or whatever it's called is crap. I'm guessing you're not even raw since you asked if you have to cook them first.. But if you're interested in raw it's easy to do after doing the master cleanse. Here's the website.. They also have a real helpful and busy forum on it.. [therawfoodsite.com]

More info on Juicing -
[www.juicefasting.org]
[www.freedomyou.com]

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:33AM

Oh and if you just want to get healthier in general, there's nothing wrong with blending raw fruits and vegetables and drinking "smoothies". A lot of us do that. You just can't do it during a fast.

Try one of the recipies on the main page or just make your own fruit smoothie for breakfast one day and see if you have anymore energy than usual. smiling smiley

Date: January 20, 2007 09:46PM

hey thanks for that.

Yeah, I see your point. I definitely want to do something to imporve my health as my system has been up and down lately and I haven't slept in a while. And I REALLY mean a while.
I guess I'll try that out first but I'm a bit impatient with regards to improving my state of health that's why I came here to enquire about fasting first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables