Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Particle size distribution of blenders
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 05, 2021 11:35PM

The best secret in raw food is probably the green smoothie. In 2009, the book titled "Green smoothie revolution" was published. Since then, green smoothies became more popular.

I got my first blender not knowing much. Out of impulse, I bought an expensive one ($400). But being stupid sometimes can help if you are lucky. I got a commercial Hamilton Beach. Everybody else was buying the Vitamix or the Blentec. At that time, there were commercial wars around brands.

I'll tell you now that a great part of my health is the green smoothie. In particular the kale smoothie.

THE MOST IMPORTANT GOAL OF THE BLENDER

The "goal" of the blender is to provide the smallest food particle possible while maintaining an equal distribution of particle sizes. That is, the particles are all the same size and they are all very small.

THE BLENDING PROCESS

When the blade strikes the food, it divides it into pieces. One large particle will divide into two medium. Then one medium will divide into two small.

RATIO OF WATER TO FOOD

You need the best ratio of amount of water to amount food. When the particles are very small, they all end up suspended in water. They almost become fluid. If too much food is present, then the smoothie becomes too thick and this would interfere with the best result. A way to tell if you are successful is to drink the smoothie in a white cup and then look at the particle size of the sediment that sticks to the wall.

USE TIME TO CONTROL PARTICLE SIZE

If you pack too much food, you would need more time in order to achieve the best optimal particle size. Use a little of antioxidants in fruit to protect against oxidation.

When I bought my blender, I broke away from the two choices given. I switched to an stainless container moving away from the original polycarbonate one. After many years of use, I did have to replace the blade assembly once. But the blender is still doing strong. The stainless steel container was taller and smaller in diameter which I think it improved the blending process. Every second or so, I can hear the motor (3 HP) becoming loaded (biting on food). This happens when the food comes down after it goes up. In my case, the sound of this cycle helps me understand that the blender is breaking the particles. I believe you can also get great smoothies with your blender. They'll give you great energy if you do it right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Particle size distribution of blenders
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: December 07, 2021 02:03PM

Panchito

THE MOST IMPORTANT GOAL OF THE BLENDER

The "goal" of the blender is to provide the smallest food particle possible while maintaining an equal distribution of particle sizes. That is, the particles are all the same size and they are all very small.

THE BLENDING PROCESS

When the blade strikes the food, it divides it into pieces. One large particle will divide into two medium. Then one medium will divide into two small.

RATIO OF WATER TO FOOD

You need the best ratio of amount of water to amount food. When the particles are very small, they all end up suspended in water. They almost become fluid. If too much food is present, then the smoothie becomes too thick and this would interfere with the best result. A way to tell if you are successful is to drink the smoothie in a white cup and then look at the particle size of the sediment that sticks to the wall.

Wow, thanks, Panchito, for this information.

About the 'best ratio of amount of water to amount of food.' This makes me think I've been making my green smoothies wrong all these years! Because I don't use Water for the liquid. I use a fruit liquid like watermelon (even though I know you're supposed to eat mellons alone ... ) or some coconut water and other juicy fruit like grapes, whatever. I don't use any water at all.

Do you think that means I'm not getting all the benefit of the green smoothie as far as the particle sizes suspended in water, etc.?

Re: Particle size distribution of blenders
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 07, 2021 10:10PM

It can be counter intuitive to think that adding more food in the bowl becomes problematic.

The watermelon has a very thin cell wall. And if you use it in a smoothie, it will spike your blood sugar and then make you hypoglycemic, which in turn raises triglycerides.

The simple smoothie is the best. Use more water than usual to get a liquid consistency. The water helps in blending. Also, don’t use too much kale/collard greens. Then add some berries. Berries are the only fruits that won’t create a sugar spike when blended (with broken cell walls). You can also add omega3s (flax, etc) in the smoothie.

GOOD SMOOTHIE = DARK GREENS + WATER + BERRIES

(+ optional omega3s)

Drink it slowly and holding it a little in the mouth. By breaking more cell walls and having enough water to facilitate the blending, you’ll probably get more energy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2021 10:13PM by Panchito.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables