Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sign that I'm done fasting or is it detox?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 22, 2007 06:14PM

I'm on day 42 of a fast. I didn't plan on going this long but on the day I was about to break I got my period. I never have an appetite with my period and I wanted to take advantage of the extra cleansing from that so I continued fasting. I was actually doing the master cleanse and then switched to juice fasting.

I've been using Oxypowder and Salt Water Flushes to keep things moving. I was actually pretty "clear" for a while. Then tHe past couple of days I've had black sludge coming out.. I don't know if it's from the bit of foam in the juice or stuff is coming out/detoxing again. It's not mucoid plaque, it's more liquid.

Then today I'm having major calcium deficiency symptoms.The numbness and tingling started last night and I woke up with charlie horses/bad cramps in both legs. I haven't had that in years and I know it's from low calcium. It's also normal for me during my periods and I usually supplment with blackstrap mollasses.(not raw, I know)

I'm also really weak today and lightheaded. I didn't even have the strength to open a bottle of water. I feel like I'm going to pass out if I exert myself. And to make it worse I need to go to the store for fruit/veggies.

So am I going through another detox thing and should continue? (Just got to up my calcium..)
Or is this weakness a sign that I'm done?

This fast kind of sucked. I didn't even really get any major energy rushes. :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sign that I'm done fasting or is it detox?
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:38PM

Wow that is a long fast! I feel that you were done a while ago. Why not start making small green smoothies to build up your health right now?

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: January 30, 2007 06:32AM

I think that that is potassium, not calcium deficiency symptoms, no?

If I were you I would switch to juice fasting... get some more electrolytes in you.

try watermelons ummmmm

Then green smoothies/soups when you feel ready

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: January 30, 2007 06:34AM

Ohh and to be specific, try
celery juice
spinach blended with banana or avocado
celery/carrot/lemon/ginger/apple juice
parsley/carrot/celery juice w/ seaweed flakes
orange juice
durian- lots of easy to digest calories

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 06, 2007 08:06PM

I agree with mallow it is a lack of potassium...not calcium......make some banana milk it is easier to digest when blended..mix banana with water in the blender...good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!!
lovve sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 10, 2007 09:57AM

Are you meant to be getting your period whilst you are fasting? I mean I did but I was only a few days into my fast. Did you get your period quite long into a fast?

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 11, 2007 09:50AM

I'd delete this thread if I could. I ended that fast already. The charlie horses in my legs could be potassium, but I know from past experience and lots of blood tests numbness and tingling in my fingers/feet and my hands getting clamped and tight are calcium. And yeah, I was doing veggie juices.

And yeah, I'm fine now. Had no problems whatsoever breaking which was odd. I didn't even follow the usual rules. I guess maybe because I waited for "true hunger" to return.

Sienna-
Yeah, it's common for fasts to bring on periods early. Can be heavier than usual or more (sorry guys lol)..clots..than usual. Since fasting is cleansing, and periods are a natural cleanse anyway..Somehow they kind of go together in the beginning.

This particular fast I actually started a few days after my period ended, so 40 days or so later when I finally got it I was more on the late side.

Re: " fasting" or is it detox?
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: February 28, 2007 12:56AM

glad you ended it...
Day after day of salt water flushes sounds like a very poor (even though well intentioned) idea.

The reason salt "flushes" is because it draws liquid out of the body with osmotic pressure, and most likely minerals needed by the body, are lost in the process, as well as, obviously being highly dehydrating. No wonder you got worn out and had scary symptoms.

Forcing the gut to continually spasmoticaly empty is also enervating.

And lastly salt is toxic, and kills many organisims, including the probiotic bacteria that belong in the gut.

There are many other safer and gentler ways to cleanse the body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables