Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Trying to cure my illness with juicing
Posted by: Sage10 ()
Date: January 25, 2007 11:17PM

I m new to juicing but I have been diong some reading on the subject and I have finally decided that I am going to beginn juicing and do a juice fast to help my supposedly 'incurable' illness. but I am very new to this and, needless to say, I do not know alot about juicing but I am going to try it anyway.

There is a definite link between my condition and toxicity. and hopefully, juicing will aid me in this regard.
But there ARE a few problems. One is that I do not have anyone to supervise me while I am on a juice fast so i would not know what to do in crisis situations although right now, I am really desperate and would like to do something to better my health.
Another problem is that I am severely underweight and I have been diagnosed with cachexia(wasting) and I do not know if a juice fast will be suitable for me. I am also not assimilating the foods I eat properly according to some doctors.
And I also want to do everything I can to make this as quick and efficient as possible.

I have a few questions:

1) would juice fasting be indicated for someone like me who is severely underweight (no matter how much they seem to eat)?

2) would I have to stop my supplements while juice fasting?

3) Do I have to add an additional source of fibre?

4) are green drinks and superfoods allowed on the juice fast?

5) most importantly, does anyone have any SUCCESS STORIES with regards to juicing?? because I am in quite a state right now and I need to do the very best thing possible for my body right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying to cure my illness with juicing
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 25, 2007 11:44PM

sage

in order to fast...you need to have some reserves in place. what i mean by thaqt is that before you begin ...get yourself well "nutriated"...(i hope that is a real word). eat conscientously and juice and take the supplements and build up some reserves.

do not overdo it in the beginning. dip your toes in the water and see how you do with a 36 hour juice fast. enemas would be something to consider as well to clean out the junk in you colon. colonic irrigation works good too.

go on a parasite cleanse and do a google search on liver and kidney flush as well. you may actually have parasites which you are not aware of. if so get rid of them. agaqin a google search will help.

supplements should be fine if you dont over do them. there are a number of fiber drink mixtures but it may be best to use them after you break your fast.

green drinks are ok....the idea is to only take in liquids. supplements would be the only solid you would be taking.

you may want to consider a mono diet fast where you eat only one type of food for a few days.. this is a more gent form of fasting which would be suitable to a beginner.

go onto a mostly raw food or totrally raw food diet for your prparatory period and especially after breaking the fast.

i am not an expert so please due your own dilagence as well.

good health

jj

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: January 25, 2007 11:46PM

Hi Sage10

Your situation is a complex one as it involves a medical condition very few people on this forum will know anything about. My advice is to discuss the implications of juicing with your current medical practioner as they will have a knowledge of your medical history and current condition.

Advice from people who do not have all the facts could be counter productive and even dangerous. If your medical practioner says juicing is ok as part of an overall dietary plan I am sure many people would be only too happy to help with recipes and any other questions or information you might need.

I wish you all the best.

Galileo

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: January 25, 2007 11:56PM

if you are thinking about jumping into something radically different then what you have been doing, and conscious enough to realize that doing such without supervision might not be best, then no wonder you are 'in quite a state'. juicing is just a single element involved in healing your body. Although its probably one of the most important elements, a single juice fast will not rid your body of a lifetime worth of toxins. healing of disease in most cases won't be a quick fix, if you want to do something efficient, start incorporating green vegetable juice into your diet, cut out foods that you know are toxic, incorporate more and more raw food in proper combinations and do more then 'some reading on the subject'.

Date: January 26, 2007 01:10AM

JJ,

I understand your logic about building reserve nutrients in the meantime and that is the way I feel about the subject too but I have to add that no matter how much I seem to eat, I am continually losing weight. So waiting to build reserves in my case, could deplete me even more. That is my main concern right now.

And with regards to Parasite Cleanses. would it be best to do one before or after a juice fast? As I was also told by my practitioner that I very well may be suffering from parasite infestation but that I first have to improve the functioning of my liver before I do one.So he put me on herbs and supplements in the meantime.

Galileo,

You are right in that my condition is a complex one and I have spoken to my Practitioner about it. Although, I will first speak to him about whether or not it would be advisable to do a juice fast ( I am hoping that he will ok it). But although with regards to my rapid weight loss, the doctors can find nothing 'wrong' with me that would cause this. But I also suffer from an autoimmune condition and we all know that some form of toxicity is the very root of all autoimmune responses. I also see my symptoms as completely related to one another. And my doctor agrees with this. As one of my symptoms heals, then the others usually follow.
Another thing that I am concerned about is that my Haemoglobin count is very low.

So, to me, fasting seems like a three fold bonus in that it would:

help me counter the toxicity which I am suffering from.

It will finally help me absorb some form of nutrients in spite of my impaired digestion. ( by providing easily assimilated nutrients along with enzymes)

I have heard that juice fasting is like doing an IV blood transfusion in that it will build your levels back up to normal so it will help me in this regard as well

This is why i am so keen to do a juice fast.

Anaken,

I understand where you are coming from but right now my concentrtion is really impaired and I am having some trouble doing extended research to find certain answers. I understand that it will not heal a lifetime of toxins but I have made significant dietary changes over a year ago and I have noticed the benefits. But I need to something very quickly to at least reduce some of my symptoms. I will not rush into this without considering it first but many people swear by the fact that juicing can help heal 'incurable' illnesses.

Date: January 26, 2007 01:15AM

Also, when my blood was drawn. it looked like gunk coming out and it didn't even want to flow properly.
Does juice fasting really increase haemoglobin count?
What other benefits does juice fasting have?
Do I get the enzymes needed for digestion?
How does it aid detox and how long does this process take?

At the very least, I want to get to a state where my blood count is significantly higher.

And would it still benefit me if I juiced and consumed solids at the same time (even if the solids were not raw. meat etc.)?

Date: January 26, 2007 05:11AM

yeah, I wasn't saying you won't experience positive effects with the juicing, I was simply saying you can experience those effects gradually through incorporating jucing, and fasting (going for a period of time on juice and water alone) since it will not likely prevent symptoms (most likely it will make them more intense, hence detoxing) might not be whats right.

but mostly I agree with Galileo. not many here will be able to comment on your specific condition or how fasting would effect haemoglobin etc...

however

NEVER have juice with food, do vegetable juice on an empty stomach (in the morning after hydrating yourself, or 3-4 hours after eating non dense food, and idealy no solid food or water 45min-1 hr afterwards.

the whole point of jucing is its getting what you need without eating and therefore allowing your body to heal (fasting) while still taking in required nutrients

consuming meat period, will not do anything but harm you on your quest for healing yourself

Date: January 26, 2007 10:16PM

OK, I think I get it now.

In the meantime, I am slowly reducing all the other things that I eat ( meat etc.). But in preparation for a juice fast that my practitioner will oversee, could i juice for most of the day and only eat one solid meal? would that be of benefit?

Also, if I do happen to consume juices with or after meals am I still getting the necesary nutrients in usable form? My digestion itself is really sluggish and I want to at least ingest something thta I can get usable nutrition from while I make my transition to raw.

Date: January 26, 2007 11:25PM

slowing reducing is whats best, notice how I phrased what I said about meat, stick to chicken after large salads if you are transitioning. you could eat two solid meals and still benefit, just stick to proper wait times to avoid toxifying your body. do some research on 'food combining'

but still you arn't getting it with the juicing. you don't want to have the juice entering your system with food, after food: might even be detrimental.

Date: January 27, 2007 02:38AM

I get the idea of freeing up your digestive system so that the body has more energy to deal with other issues ike toxicity etc. And that is what I am aiming to do eventually.

I got my centrifugal juicer recently and started juicing. I didn't get much juice per fruit/veg though. And I made a big mistake...

I juiced both apples and carrots in one but I know now that I must have some reaction to carrots because my old symptoms were stirred up by them. I later tried apples alone and that was fine.
The one that they gave me at the store had some minor problems with it though so I will be returning it and maybe try a masticating juicer out instead.

I am looking for good ideas of things to juice in the meantime. I am very food sensitive and this could scrap alot of the foods that could be potential juices for me.

strawberries and bananas are good for me though. are they okay?

Date: January 27, 2007 02:59AM

yeah, unfortunately most things especially green leafy vegetables arn't all that juicy and I guess will yield suprizingly little if you were new to this kind of thing. people might have differeing opinions based on your condition but most likely you want to be doing green juices (celery being the juiciest and therefore a staple) carrots are cheap and have cleansing properties, cucumber is good, and you want to add as much dark leafy greens as you can (spinach, kale, collards, chard) probably in that order, and maybe with some green apple. if you are just juicing apples you are still missing the mark with the concept here. I doubt anyone juices banannas and if they do strawberries its probably just for added taste when juicing other fruits.

Date: January 28, 2007 01:27AM

I am going to start juicing apples so long to prepare myself for an eventual jucie fast. i have also heard that it is critical to maintain levels of sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium while dong a juice fast and it could be potentially hazardous to your health if you do not.

I am going to try and juice beetroot, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and some celery as well in the meantime.

So, do I use the whole thing or just select parts with these particular juicables?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables