Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juiced greens too spicy?
Posted by: AnnieFannie ()
Date: February 01, 2007 07:16PM

Hi all!
I have been jucing turnip/mustard greens and when I swallow the juice, there is a slight burn...Is this normal? The greens arent organic and I hate to think I am injesting pesticides...(ie: burning sensation)...
Also, can one over juice veggies or greens, example too many carrots, beets, etc...Does anyone rotate the veggie juices?

Thanks, I have been a lurker since 2002 and finally after several attempts, decided to go for the raw way smiling smiley

Much peace,
Annie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juiced greens too spicy?
Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: February 01, 2007 10:15PM

Ouch, bad memory. I did the same thing with mustard greens. The first time I juiced them it really burned going down. I couldnt finish the glass, and had to throw it away. Made me sad to toss green juice but it was far to strong for me. And just a few sips made my stomach ache and I felt nauseous. My mustard greens were organic so I dont think the burn was from the pesticides, just the spicy nature of the mustard greens. Collards are not spicy, kale, celery, endive, spinach and lettuces are yummy to drink, and taste even better mixed with some carrot juice or apple juice. I read in a Norman Walker juice book that you can drink as much juice as you can handle, if you feel sick then youll know you overjuiced. But I dont think one can overdose on veggie/fruit juice. I also read in the same book that when juicing non-organic vegetables and fruits, the pesticides stay in the fibrous pulp and dont get into the juice. I dont know if its true or not but its what I read.

Congrats on going raw! and happy juicing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2007 01:48AM

I have been drinking green juices for years. It is very healthy. I do rotate them, collards, turnip, dandelion, beet greens. You can reduce the burning sensation by juicing the geens with celery and cucumber

Posted by: AnnieFannie ()
Date: February 02, 2007 03:39PM

Thank you so much for your replies!
Whew, glad its just the spiciness of the greens!

Much peace,
Annie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 03:40PM by AnnieFannie.

Date: February 09, 2007 09:42PM

But why juice greens when you can blend them? That way you get all the fiber too.

I have to agree about the mustard greens. That's pretty strong stuff. I don't care for it much for drinking.

Date: March 02, 2007 02:59PM

If the mustard greens dont taste good... then why in the world are you drinking it. It is not good for you if it tastes bad. Doesn't it make sense your ecology is not in the state that it wants it. If your ecology improves then you just might like the taste or it will become neutral. A body rejecting a bad tasting green is a sign that you need to listen to your body. Most people eat healthy food just because they know its good for them even though they really don't like it. Just look at people who drink wheatgrass at the juice bars.. That's the worst thing they can do to their bodies is drink that stuff if they don't like it. Fix their ecology and within a few months they will love the taste of it... It just happens.. It's not something you have to learn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 03:07PM by Rawgetarian.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:31PM

If our bodies are so screwed up from eating crap maybe things that are actually good for us won't always taste good to us. I mean big, fat hamburgers and hot dogs taste great to some people. I had mustard greens that I was going to marinate. I decided I was going to avoid the oil so I would juice them. I choked down about half of it and even felt a little nausea. I realized about 30 minutes later that I was crazily cleaning my laundry room like I was on some sort of super charge. I can't stand the thought of drinking that again but I do think it was healthy. I think the more I get accustomed to healthier foods the more I will think they taste good.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 14, 2007 08:59PM

there are a wide variety of choices for greens.. no need to toture yourself with the ones that do not go well with your own taste requirements.

dandelions are coming up soon and are terrific for the amount of nutritional content. use the root and all...but keep in mind that they are bitter...which is good for the liver and bile..but i take only a few ounces at a time so as not to get "turned off" to a great sources of nutrition. a couple of shots will do...also the flowers are a plant source of vitamin d.

juicin' john

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 15, 2007 12:56PM

mustard greens

they sure knew how to name it

it was like drinking down mustard

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 27, 2007 10:45PM

I got the throat burn, too, from too much collards.

I fixed the problem by mixing w/ one or more of cuke, carrot, celery, and oj.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables