Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

saurerkraut makers
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2007 10:58PM

I want to make raw sauerkraut for health and am on a tight budget. I have wanted for years to buy the harsch sauerkraut crock after tried to make sauerkraut on my own and had to through the batch out as it molded..apparently this crock prevents that problem. I was looking for the cheapest price when I ran into this much cheaper one (but nt sure it is prevents mold I think it might).

Does anyone have any experience with this and could advise me if the small one would be OK or would I be best to go with harsch.

Here are the to links to the products..

[store.therawdiet.com]

[store.therawdiet.com]

saw the harsch for 99.95 and free shipping somewhere.

Thank you..I am new here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saurerkraut makers
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 18, 2007 04:22AM

Hmmm, you could probably make your own version of the first one, it appears to be just a jar and an air lock.

For my sauerkraut crocks, I got one at second hand store. Pick a nice large crock about the size you want, then wonder around until you find a smaller crock the fits inside of it fairly tightly. On mine there is only 1mm of play around the edge when the little crock in the big crock.

My other sauerkraut maker consists of two large heavy/thick glass containers that fit snuggly inside each other. I the glass ones because I can see how much fluid is being drawn out, that the level is, how much color charge is happening and watch the bubbles form. I got the glass jars from Cost Plus World Market or something like that.

Good luck,
Ian.

Date: March 13, 2007 01:15PM

thanks, Ian,

I decided to go with the 2nd and boy it is heavy even though it is the smallest harsch crock.

The directions are all in metric and since the salt needs to include density ZI am not sure how to concert grams to teaspoons and even temp are in Celsius. The importer were no help at all and all recipes are so hard to convert.

I was thinking of making it tomorrow but even if you answer after that date, any recipes would be appreciated.

What will happen if it is not cool enough..my apt is hot and so I will put it in my mom's basement but ZI am not sure it that is cool enough..any advice appreciated and recipes too.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 14, 2007 01:54AM

Hi Janie,

That looks like an awesome crock! I'm jealous! Hmmmmm, crock envy!

Anyway, I never bother about measuring things. winking smiley

My fav. recipe goes something like this:
1 small green cabbage
1 large red cabbage
a few carrots
1 medium onion
a few cloves of garlic
salt

Pretty much everything other than the cabbage is optional.

Chop up the veggies. The cabbage can be toughly chopped. The carrots I slice some very thin, the rest I just grate. The onion, I half a slice fairly thinly. The garlic I like to leave in chunks, so I only cut up the large cloves.

Then I put a half layer of veggies in the crock, sprinkle a little salt on it. Put down another layer of veggies, press the veggies down really hard, sprinkle a little salt on it. Put down another layer of veggies, press down really hard, sprinkle a little salt on it. And Repeat until there is no veggies left.

I set aside some large cabbage leaves to cover the top of the veggies with. This stops any little bits, like shredded carrot, floating to the top and getting mold on it.

I'm not sure about the temps. How hot is your appartment? So far I'm not worried about the temp (I live in California). As far as I know, the hotter it is, the quicker it will ferment, the colder it is, the longer it will take. I'm sure there are some cut off temps, too hot and it dies, too cold and it can't grow, but I don't know the ranges.

I think: 1 tablespoon = 0.5 Oz = 14.3 grams.

Hope this helps,
Ian.

Date: April 15, 2007 02:21PM

I am the one who made the first ones that Mike sellls on his site. I sell them too but am currently out of stock.

we have many rave reviews about the results

elnatural_1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables