Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Please Help Me Decide on a New Juicer.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2007 07:15AM

Hello all,

I've been 100% vegan (ethical) for 15 years, and after a few aborted attempts over that time, I have recently committed myself to a 100% raw vegan diet. It's been about a month now, and I feel great! I do have a fairly nice array of kitchen appliances (Vitaprep, Champion juicer, Cuisinart food processor), but have come to the conclusion that I need a better juicer.

Yes, the Champion is a great tool, and it's been with me for at least a decade, but it's a BEAST of a machine, and I find it a bit awkward how the juice drips out of the large rectangle, while the pulp falls off the end. I am looking for something a bit more convenient. It should be easy to use and easy to clean. I've seen the twin gear juicers, but the couple that I've seen look like a nightmare to set up and clean (Is this always the case with these juicers?) I will be mainly juicing greens with a bit of apple thrown in from time to time, and I know that if I'm going to stay on track, I'm going to need something that I won't dread cleaning each time I use it. This juicer should be enough to service two full time raw foodists.

Another reason I purchased the Champion was the supposed benefit of the 'mastication' process of juicing in contrast to the process used by the centrifugal juicers which would lead to a greater degree of oxidation. If this not an issue, please feel free to school me on this subject.

Another issue is quality. I'm certainly not afraid to pay a bit more for a machine that will last. I love the quality of the Champion. It's solid and feels like it will last forever. I think I am looking for something of the same quality, but perhaps does not take up the same amount of horizontal counter space.

So to summarize, I am looking for:

Easy
Convenient
Quality

Any tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please Help Me Decide on a New Juicer.
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 24, 2007 03:37PM

The Champion Juicer has been virtually 'unchanged' for the last 40 or 50 years. I've owned several over the years and have been witness to two others that a friend owns. However, it's not the best juicer.
If you're juicing Greens and Apples, I'd recommend a low RPM, single-auger juicer like the Omega 8003, or 8005, or the Samson 6 in 1. However, they are rather Loud. If you're juicing a large amount of Carrots, like I do, I'd recommend a centrifugal. The claim of 'lost nutrients' is unfounded as far as I'm concerned. I like my Omega 4000 (it purrs like a kitten), but Breville makes a nice one, as well. Many people here like the twin-gear juicers, but I don't care for them........WY

Date: February 24, 2007 04:26PM

I have an Omega 5000 for about a year now, (I liked the chrome look). I am very pleased with it. I mainly use it for vegatable juice as I find that when I try to juice fruit such as apples it comes out a little too thick and tends to clog up the screen that it comes through a little.You can quickly take out the screen and rinse it quickly if this happens though.
It is great for wheatgrass and other leafy vedge. I don't use the container that it came with to catch the pulp as I stick a larger bowl under the spout so I don't have to empty it part way through juicing. Cleaning is so simple, it takes seconds to take apart and just seconds to clean, although the augur has since been stained from carrots.(Not a big deal as this is inside). I am going to buy a vitamix soon to make fruit smoothies and use the juicer for vedge Juice.
Because it has a chute that the food goes down you will be required to cut up some of the food that you wish to juice, even some larger carrots need to be sliced but it comes with a nice tamper stick to push the food down the shoot with.
I don't think that the unit is noisy at all compared to the centrifugal juicers.
The only maintenance that I have had to perform is to take a couple of screws out to clean the ring that holds the body together as juice got in behind and needed to be cleaned. Once again no big deal.
I would buy another one.
Hope this helps.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 25, 2007 07:57AM

When I was first researching juicers I knew that the Champion was the one I definitley didn't want. I kept reading how much of a pain it is and how it's not even that good at juicing leafy greens. I went with the GreenStar which you don't want..it's the same pulp out the end and awkward juicing with the rectangle shape and isn't fun to clean.

I agree with the others that one of the Omegas is probably what you want.. Or maybe the Solo Star.. it's similar to th GreenStar..But supposedly it's easier to clean.

Have you seen this website? It has everything you'd want to know about the different kinds of juicers.
[www.discountjuicers.com]

Comparison Chart (also make sure to click on where it says "page 2)
[www.discountjuicers.com]

Date: March 02, 2007 06:47PM

Thank you all for your feedback!

Date: March 04, 2007 03:47PM

Unless you are 21 and trying to look older or more wrinkly... I don't know of any other reason why you would want a juicer.. Most people want to look younger.. which still.. is anti-intuitive... but juicing takes out the anti aging properties and if you want to look older or age prematurelly... then drink all the juice you want but just as long as you know the side effects..

Also... I don't advise anyone to start juicing a a way to avoid getting a fake ID to look older to get in nightclubs before they are 21.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2007 03:49PM by Rawgetarian.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 05, 2007 11:19AM

Rawgetarian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you are 21 and trying to look older or more
> wrinkly... I don't know of any other reason why
> you would want a juicer.. Most people want to look
> younger.. which still.. is anti-intuitive... but
> juicing takes out the anti aging properties and if
> you want to look older or age prematurelly... then
> drink all the juice you want but just as long as
> you know the side effects..
>
> Also... I don't advise anyone to start juicing a a
> way to avoid getting a fake ID to look older to
> get in nightclubs before they are 21.

Just because someone drinks juices doesn't mean they don't eat whole fruits or vegetables too.

There are tons of people who look older already just from eating a SAD diet so long. In their cases, juices would help them more than cause nasty "side effects".

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 14, 2007 09:21PM

there is no stronger or more powerful means of getting huge quantities of life giving and health promoting nutition into the body. we all need as much of thes as we can possibly get due to the many disadvantages which moderern day so called civilized life inflicts upon us.

determine how much juice your body needs and make an effort to provide to yourself and your family each day.

juicing is the most highly leveraged means we have for health... only foolish and narrow monded people deprive themselves of such a wonderful blessing.

thank
God for fresh juices.

amen.

jj

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 15, 2007 04:41PM

green star is the best juicer money can buy,

juicin' john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables