Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is the best kind of apple?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 19, 2007 04:07PM

Best for juicing?
And Best for Blending?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the best kind of apple?
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 19, 2007 07:24PM

fuji is crips juicy firm and nicely sweet....i prefer it for my juicing.

for blending most any kind should be ok...depending on your flavor prefereances.

for juicing firm juicy ones are my criteria for selection.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2007 08:58PM

I like Fuji and Gala. I've tried juicing apples but the pulp is very wet coming out so I just eat them. I always peel them, even though they're Organic. It just 'feels' right this way for me.....WY
P.S. A small Bird's Beak paring knife works best.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 19, 2007 11:39PM

Yeah when I juice them the pulp is too wet and when I blend them the skin seems too thick. I figured I'm using the wrong kinds of apples. If I blend or juice I don't care which I use..just want to get the most out of it.

I save my favorite kinds for eating. lol

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 23, 2007 01:35PM

yeah most juicers are not too keen on fruits
but the trick is

" a little dab 'll do ya"

just a few slices
that's all most of them can handle

a little sweetness
is more than most of us can handle anyhow smiling smiley
happy juicin
juicin john!

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 28, 2007 01:48PM

I find granny smiths to be the best for juicing (I use a Kempo). And I love their tart flavor. I use them in my green lemonade and have found that if I go back and forth, juice some greens, then a couple slices of apple, then more greens, etc., then I get great results and the vegetable screen doesn't clog up. Also, the Kempo comes with interchangeable attachments to use when juicing mixed greens & juices and using the red attachment makes a great difference. As for the fruit screen, I don't use it because it makes the juice too pulpy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2007 06:04PM

Pink Lady are my faves.

Tart and sweet. winking smiley

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: March 29, 2007 11:58PM

I grow most of my own apples. There are over three thousand varieties but most you will never see for sale in a store or supermarket.

I have several different varieties some of which date back several hundred years.

These apples varieties were around before pesticides and chemical sprays so grow particularly well in an organic enviroment. Fruit is really very easy to grow and needs very little care so if you have room think about growing fruit!!

Apples need a pollinating partener so you need more than one tree so choose varieties with a little care.

Unfortunately most tree fruits do not come true from seed (i.e if you plant an apple pip you won't know what you will get until it fruits) you could be lucky and get a complete gem or most likely 99% you will get a bummer bad cropper and or poor disease resistance etc......so buy a named variety.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 30, 2007 01:12AM

mmmm *slurp* the best kinda apple *slurp* is the one im munchin on right now *slurp chomp chomp* lol .. no really i swear !!!

Date: March 30, 2007 01:36AM

Galileo....Very interesting!!! I live in Florida and can't grow Apples. I have several Citrus trees and a Fig tree. I guess Apples have to have a 'root stock' of another variety all together. Can you get 'own root' Apple trees? You must live in a cool climate, even though Apple trees will grow in North Georgia.
There's something about an Apple. Arnold Ehret felt that Raisins and Apples made a perfect combination (able to sustain life).......WY

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: March 30, 2007 09:52PM

Hi WY

Apples are generaly sold on dwarfing rootstocks so people with small gardens can grow them.

The rootstocks go from very dwarfing for pots to half standards and standards for almost full size trees. Most people go for a few varieties on semi- dwarfing rootstocks rather than one large standard tree as apples need a pollinating partner.

Apple trees can come on their own roots but these take ten or more years to fruit and of course you get a full size tree. The more dwarfing the root stock the sooner you get fruit. My trees on semi dwarfing rootstocks gave fruit in their second year and reached full production in about year five.

Apple trees need cold in the winter so they can sleep although there have been success stories in places like Italy. The tree may or may not die without a cold spell but probably won't thrive very well or give much fruit.

Its probably a good idea to stick with what grows well in your area unless you have space and want to try apples as a bit of a novelty.

I can't grow citrus outdoors as the winters here (UK) are too cold although I have a Lemon tree on a south facing window in a pot and I get about ten lemons a year!!! Luckily Lemons don't need a pollinating partner!!

Date: March 30, 2007 10:44PM

Thanks Galileo for such a detailed reply. We know more about Apple trees now. I once heard a gardener, years ago, say "Push Limits, Break Rules". However, I'm not going to try to grow Apples here in Central Florida.....will stick mainly to Citrus.....WY

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 06, 2007 06:34PM

i'll have whatever jgunn is having
sounds slurpy good!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: April 07, 2007 04:05PM

the best apple i have ever found is called...honey crisp.
it is juicy and crunchy and has a perfect balance between tart and sweentness.
it is relatively obscure...i saw it for the first time at a local apple orchard this past fall...bought a small basket and trekked back to pick up a bushel before they were all gone. definitely the best i ever tried.

interestingly..i was looking at some of the seed catalogues which get mailed out early in the year and honey crisp trees were available.

so if you want honey crisp apples you might have to grow your own..i imagine it will take a couple of years before your trees will bear fruit ...so it would be best to get started now.

juicin' john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables