Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fresh green grass,,,,free.
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 30, 2007 04:59PM

for those of us who live in the parts of the country where spring makes it magnificent appearance, a most wonderful sources of the freshest and best nutrition is available in the way of the grasses which are newly emerging in our nearby locales.

"NON-FARMED" and non-depleted soil produces the nmost nutrient rich source of juicing material we could ever ask for. it is just beatiful to see the newly emerging pristine grasses emerging from the winter's hibernation. i have got my pair of scissors ready to start clipping just as soon as it gets tall enough to harvest, for the fresest ,nutrient rich green drink on the planet!

thanks to the greenstar juicer i can take advantage of the finest source of chlorophyll, minerals, and primary souce protein ( cows and horses really get huge eating the stuff) i could ever want....and all free of charge. whatta bargain! my green star should last for years since i am hearing from fellow juicers about their green star juicers running strong as ever after daily usage for 15 years! i am really thankful for such a wonderful machine. it is truly a blessing..

if you have a twin gear machine i suggest you take advantage of the wonderful opportuity which i have attempted to describe in my post here.

wishing you all the best of health,

juicin john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fresh green grass,,,,free.
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 30, 2007 09:33PM

JJ.....There's no grass better than what you grow yourself. Besides, someone owns the land you're taking from. Do you have their permission, even though they may never know? Are you sure that it's Organic?......WY

Date: March 30, 2007 11:29PM

wheatgrass yogi

you could be a little more pensive in not to mention intelligent with you responses. some peoiple rent or own land?> duh..... come on, be for real.

juicin' john

Date: March 31, 2007 02:22AM

JJ....I've tried juicing wild grass before. I almost poisoned myself once. Be careful.....WY

Date: April 02, 2007 01:44PM

wheatgrass yogi

sometimes a wonder about you good guy. i do not know any poisonous grasses. some of them may be a bit strong if that is what you mean...but as far as poisonous goes...please elucidate the meaning of your statement.

juicin' john

Date: April 02, 2007 08:00PM

I had some wild 'Torpedo Grass growing in my yard (still do), taking over my plant beds. It is very invasive and 'Strong' as the runners dive deep (like a submarine). I figured that since it was so strong that it would be good to juice. It was too strong for me and might even be harmful......WY
[plants.ifas.ufl.edu]

Date: April 02, 2007 11:35PM

i am familiar with torpedo "grass". it doesn't evan look like grass! most grass that i talking about here, actually has a remarkable sililarity to wheat grass. in fact i learned about juicing these wild grasses from a guy out in california who is a wheatgrass expert. he is evan listed in one of the books as the wheatgrass messiah.

i went out in the yard today and cut a bunch and brought it in and juiced it with my greenstar right away and drank it promptly. i cut it half with water and 1 apple to about 4 ounces of pure grass juice. it was fantastic! i evan got a nice tingly sensation on the top of my head shortly after which lasted for a minute or so, very different. i also cut some dandelions with the grass.

thats whats nice about the greenstar ....it just devours grass and leafies.

good juicin' that wild grass,

juicin' john

Date: April 03, 2007 02:20AM

JJ.....It sounds like you're getting a Spiritual High over there. I'll have to try mixing Apple with my Green Juice sometime. I've heard of the Wheatgrass Massiah, but don't know anything about him.
Happy Juicing......WY

Date: April 03, 2007 09:41PM

update on green grass:

i went out again and harvested some more of the free sprintime fresh grass growing in the country side area where i live. i juiced it easily in the greenstar within minutes of harvesting. it actuall has a miloder taste than wheatgrass......very easy to drink. i added a little apple again but actually it doesn't need apple to make it taste good.

jj

Date: April 04, 2007 08:26PM

Yesterday, I tried juicing an Apple with Wheatgrass and got a lot of foam, but it was pretty good. This morning I juiced a Carrot with my Wheatgrass and there was very little foam. The Carrot wasn't as sweet as the Apple but I liked it better.....WY

Posted by: hereami ()
Date: April 16, 2007 03:10AM

I mix spinach,kale,cabbage,cucumber,parsly,and celery with wheat grass. I love the extra boost. I take it before my morning workout and I feel the energy.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 16, 2007 07:42AM

hey wheatgrass yogi

i thought juicin john was the WHEATGRASS MESSIAH

did i miss somethin? smiling smiley
hee heee

i believes what i wants to believe

ya know?

Date: April 16, 2007 08:08AM

La_v......You can look at Juicin John as the Wheatgrass Messiah if you want to. That would make two. The more, the merrier, Hardy Har Har.....WY

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 17, 2007 03:50AM

The kids and I were out walking in the woods and we took a break and sat in a meadow for awhile. My daughter was hungry and I thought of this thread when I suggested we eat some grass. We all chewed on the soft pale roots. My oldest one remembered us doing it a long time ago. I used to eat a lot of grass when I was a kid. I guess it is natural to eat grass, especially when you're sittin' on it.

Date: April 17, 2007 06:13PM

i think chewing on some the grass you are thinking of juicing would be an excellent way to test.

nature has a way of warning us with the way things taste and smell.

another good way i think would be to try feeding it to a horse or a cow ....and if they like its likely to be juicable.

there are many many grasses in nature and no doubt each is slightly different.

i just look through the yard and cut what looks good. my lawn is a motley combination of all sorts of grass and weeds. i dont like mowing it...i'd rather juice it!

my neibors must wonder why my lawn always looks like its about to get out of control. i mow as few times as i must.

its just perfect for juicing right now.

juicin' john

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 20, 2007 10:35AM

i'm jeealous
of people with unruly grasss
so beautiful

gimme some!

in a glass please

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 27, 2007 11:12PM

i found this link that makes me thing of JJ and WGY hehe

[www.youtube.com]

i like the longer version of the same above but its the making of ..the shorter version lol

[www.youtube.com]
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 11:13PM by Jgunn.

Date: April 30, 2007 01:00AM

i mowed my lawn today. i need to use a lawn tractor because it is too big for push mower. i really hated to do it since it looked so beautiful...but it was about to get to a point of being hard to manage, so i mowed it.

i saved a nice juicy section for last and directed the chute of the lawn mower so that it would collect in the center of a small area.

next i went in the house and got a nice big bag and i started putting the clippings in the bag until i thought i had enough to make alot of juice. it was a nice mixture of beautiful fresh green grass, dandelions and clover mostly.

i took it into the kitchen and set up my greenstar for juicing. i started feeding the clippings in and tapping with the wooden plunger...not too fast so as not to cause the machine to bog down. after juicing one quart, i stopped and poured it through a strainer into a 1 quart jar. beatiful dark geen juice. i filled the jar all the way to the top so a little would flow over when i put the lid on...and i stuck it in the freezer to chill for 15 min.

this juice was not at all watery like wheatgrass juice it was thick like green blood...which incidentally chlorphyll andd hemglobin (human blood) have almost identical molecular structures. chlorphyll has magnesium at its center and hemoglobin has iron.

i cleaned up a little using a dish coth and vaccum clearer with the small attachment to pick up the grass which had manged to get on the counter ,juicer, etc. now it was ready to juice the remainder. i got almost another quart of this beautiful thick dark green juice,

i put it in a jar just like the other and cleaned up the machine and counter space. next i found a noice glass to hold about 16 oz. and i filled it half full of distilled water from the refridgerator. i slice a lemon wedge from a nice organic lemon i had on hand and squeezed it into the water...and then i filled the rest of the glass with green juice. got out my recycled reusable plastic straw and sampled my creation. a delicioso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one thing i can say is that greenstar is the best. those mini sized twin gear machine could never get through what took me about 12 minutes to juice in the greenstar.

sippin' my lawn as i sign off,

juicin' john

Date: April 30, 2007 11:30PM

JJ.....Almost a quart of Green Juice? Your experience makes me want to start growing outside. I only get 7 or 8 ounces a day growing wheatgrass the way I am now......WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 01, 2007 12:50AM

*sigh* i wish i could do this too .. but my backyards been soiled by my own dog .. and my front lawns been soiled by the rest of the blocks dogs lol

maybe this year we'll get a small fence up enough to keep off the front lawn winking smiley

Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 04, 2007 06:10PM

Most American Grass is called Johnson Grass. It was brought here after the takeover of America becuase the farmers kept cows in one area so long the native grass died. Johnson grass is from Africa. It is poisin for animals WHEN THERE IS A DROUGHT. Probably humans too. I read this on Native American Seeds website.

Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 04, 2007 06:16PM

John,

How do you know its good for you? I know dandilions, clover, and violets are good for you...although grass is new...to me for that. Do you know its ok? I read about Johnson grass on Native American Seeds website (i shared this with the group) and saw that it was poisin during a drought (to help it servive no doubt).

So how long have you done this? I am curious now. I want to ask an herbalist...

Date: June 05, 2007 02:54PM

johnson's grass has the same molecule common to apricot pits and the prunis family of trees (nitriloside). it is often given as one of many sources in nature for nitiloside, a molecule which seems to have the ability to control the malignant component in a cancer cells according to author glenn kittler. i am talking about grasses that grow common to our yards, in the mountains, etc. and the kind that cows and horses feed on.

i guess that grasses might be in a similar category as mushrooms but think you would find the ratio of poisonous musrooms to non poisonous mushrooms to be alot different from poisonous grasses to non poisonous grasses.

by the way ..humans have bee dealing with nitrilosides long enouhg in their evolution to have developed an enzyme called rhodenase( may have spelled that incorrectly) which neutalizes the enzyme in healthy cells ...only the cancer cells are deficient in rhodanase. quite interesting i think.

always be cautious when testing the effects of meicinal plants and grasses..some people are better off staying with what they know ..i am an experimenter...not everyone is the same.

jjuicin' john

Date: June 10, 2007 12:05PM

That's good JJ, about staying with what you know. I'd say devote a lot of time to finding what 'works' for you, then stick with it. I'm not able to search out the 'wild grasses', so I'm going to continue growing my own. I've almost perfected my technique. I bought some 'inferior' seed a while back, and rather than giving it to the birds, I'm using it as fertilizer for the grass I grow. It packs a 'punch'.....WY

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 16, 2007 02:41PM

I have all sorts of goofy grasses popping up in my folks lawn (they're getting as bit old and lazy to cut it)

maybe i'll post some pics so I can get an opinion on their tastiness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables