Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cleaning Vita-Mix Blender
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:29PM

I love my Vita-Mix blender and have been really enjoying using it since I got it last December.

Usually I just give it a quick rinse out with water after using it and turn in upside down to drain. It is so quick and easy. I love it.

However, it has started getting quite yucky inside now and needs a better clean. I have tried putting a little washing up liquid in and filling the blender jar with water, then blitzing it on full power. But it did not clean the built up grime off at all.

I don't really wish to dismantle it and take out the blades etc (as per the manual).

Any suggestions on how to easily get off the build up of fat etc residue off the plastic jar? (My raw buddy has the exact same problem too ... so I'm guessing that it is something some of you will have experienced too).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Vita-Mix Blender
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:25PM

The 'Secret' is to wipe the canister with a dry kitchen towel after you rinse it out...every time!! And put it back on the housing for a better 'look'......WY

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:50PM

Hi Wheatgrass Yogi,
Thanks for your reply.

Both my friend and myself have a build up of 'fat' etc residue on the inside of our Vita-Mix blender jars ... most likely from the nuts, seeds, oils and perhaps from the white juicy stuff that comes out of e.g. onions. We can scrape some of it off with e.g. thumbnail. (It has most probably built up, because we have not been blitzing it with a couple of drops of washing up liquid after using - as per the manual. Instead we have both just been giving our jars a quick swill round with water). We both have the same problem. It is just a build up, but it is not the common limescale whitish smearing from the water (lime deposit) which looks different and of course is probably also present, but that doesn't bother either of us.

So yes, drying it with kitchen paper after each use might probably avoid the limescale deposit, but that is not the issue here.

Any other ideas? Especially on how to get rid of the existing layer of deposit on both of our jars, so that there is not too much of a build up of bacteria?

I'm wondering whether Ecover Environmentally Friendly bleach would work, but do not want to destroy the plastic jar in case it is not safe to use. (It brings off stains on the insides of cups and mugs easily).

Otherwise I am wondering about using a few raw lemons or the juice of them with some water and blitzing it for a few mins. The lemon juice might cut the grime / grease / build up. But again not sure how safe a lot of lemon juice is ... given how expensive the jars are to replace. But I would have thought that it should be safe. Any ideas?

Appreciate any help that any of you can give us.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 04, 2007 04:08PM

I'd personally would buy a new canister, if I were you, and start from 'scratch'. And I think wiping it on the inside, after each use, would help reduce any build-up, not just water stains. I use my Vita-Mix to liquify carrot scraps for wheatgrass fertilizer, and wiping it down after each use keeps my canister clean and clear.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2007 07:12PM

I know vitamix makes a soft bristle brush to clean out the canisters. I'm not sure how much it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find something similar in the stores. Look for something that's gentle though so you don't scratch the canister.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables