Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do I start diet if I don't have a juicer yet???Help!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:11PM

I am ready to start the raw food "lifestyle" but I can't afford a juicer yet not even the cheapest one. Can I still start eating raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I start diet if I don't have a juicer yet???Help!!
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:24PM

yes,
you never 'need' a juicer.
buy greens
eat them
if you want fruit
buy some
eat it

sprouts?

grow em
then eat them

you don't need a juicer, a dehydrator, or even a blender.
though the latter is pretty popular.

just start eating all your foods raw
and you've done it.

peace-

Posted by: Livin2 ()
Date: May 17, 2007 08:49PM

You said it Mama Cass! If there is a will, there is a way! You can do it yhill! Just make sure you have everything handy! Toss your salad, so when you get hungry, all you have to do is reach and eat! Plan ahead your meals, that way you know what your going to eat for that meal! Have fresh fruit ready for pick up. I buy so much fruit that I had my husband build me a fruit rack. Otherwise, I had baskets of fruit everywhere!

We are here for each other, thats why I love this community!

Good Health to you!

Re: no juicer - Help!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2007 05:37PM

Good day to all! smiling smiley

I'm new to this "juce" and have been reading many posts within this site (great reading in addition to seeing that the people within this community are very supportative and knowledgable). Anyways ... I was really excieted in getting started but ... I'm frugal and my funds are limited so ... I went off to one of my favorite thrift stores and happend to pick up a NEW - Never used Oster - super duper processor, blender, gizmo for less than 30 dollars. It's a thought (heck ... living in south florida helps ... if ya know what I mean winking smiley

I do have a question (since I'm here) which is: when juicing can I incorporate protien drinks too?

thanks for your assistance and have a great day!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 16, 2007 05:17PM

fo to a thrift store ...like salvation army and see if they have a used juicer for sale...oft times they do. also a blender is helpful for getting started.the real cost of jiceing is not the machine ........

it is the cost of the stuff you put into it and your tiem an energy preparing and cleaning up. that is the real cost... no the price you pay for the machine.

for example it is very easy to use 3.00 worth of carrots and whatever else each day. that by the way is a very conservative estimate dollarwise.

do that every day for a month and you will easily spend $100.

it is a commonly known fact that the twin gear juicer like greenstar (which i use) gets more juice per pound and because of the lower rpm and extraction principle of squeezing the pulp as opposed to whirling it around in a filtering basket at high speeds(increased oxidation) as centrifugual machines do, you recieve a high quality juice as well as more of it per pound from that expensive produce you are buying.

not only that there are alot of edible pants which you can pick for free which are of the leafy geen variety for the most part and these are nicely juiced by the twin gear design. the centrifugals cannot juice leafy veggies or grasses...twin gear excells!! at both. so if you have a garden you can juice carrot tops, beet tops, parsely and other wonderfully nutritious stuff in your twin gear machine.

the twin gear will maximize your true investment in juicing...

1. price of produce
2. your time and energy

nothing works as well as a greestar juice....save up you money and look for a used one...they seem to last forever. the other types burn up the motor after awile.

i know several people who have used their machine for 10 or 12 years...everday!! and it shows no sign of slowing down.

greenstar is the one!

juicin' john

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:27PM

jay jay is right

green star IS a STAR!!

and they call it GREEN star cuz it is a STAR at juicing GREENS

i kid you not

but they are expensive ( but cheaper than an emergency hospital visit so hey...!)

they do greens fantastically which is what i mostly juice

its a riot

i had an omega

but it couldn't do greens unless u put something else with it
cuz it would end up in the top container and not in the juice

so it was not cool

but greenstar takes its time and does each leafy green
its cool

hey jay jay

we should like get a commission from the greenstar company for all our raving and ranting

i think 15% per new purchaser is just about right

whatddya think?

by now, i shoulda made about $379.97

in commission money

cuz i DO get all chatty when it comes to the greenstar

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2007 03:41AM

i remember once when i was a kid rolling and pounding an orange to death in its skin then stuffing a straw in it to see if it was juiced inside smiling smiley

it didnt work smiling smiley

lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:41AM

yeah, I don't think its a pre-requisite to the diet, lifestyle etc..

although it can be a usefull tool for those transitioning their diet or trying to adjunct their existing diet.

I think the suggestions to get a thrift store model, borrowing a friend or something would be a good tactic
..or buying a decent centrifugal (which You can get for $120) on sale.

basically you don't want to buy a bunch of fancy equipment if worst case scenario it just sits as a reminder to something you are NOT doing.

my bias is a juicer is really the only piece of equipment you would NEED..if need enters into the equation at all. IMO a blender is on par with a dehydrator..its simply a culinary tool (and i've gotten flak for saying this before but...) for folks who are too lazy to chew or for some bizare reason want to consume more of X then they could get down eating...whether its more khale or bananas...its just a BAD idea IMO

I disagree that all one needs to do to create health is eat raw plant foods. but certainly there is no pre-requisite to adding more fresh fruits and plants to your diet.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:05AM

jgunn says:

<<i remember once when i was a kid rolling and pounding an orange to death in its skin then stuffing a straw in it to see if it was juiced inside smiling smiley

it didnt work smiling smiley >>

i tried that too
but as an adult
and it still didn't work

darn too much pulp in those oranges (sheeeshtongue sticking out smiley!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:08PM

lol yayyyy LaV !!! hehe i wonder how many others have tried that LOL !!!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 24, 2007 11:31PM

those old tropicana commercials didn't help, huh?
oranges with straws-- looking so yummy

i've heard it works with watermelons...

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables