Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Challenge for Juicin' John
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 17, 2007 08:26PM

JJ.....I offer you a Challenge. I'll bet you my Omega 4000 will produce more Carrot Juice, with drier pulp, than your GreenStar, from the same amount of carrots. As you may know, I've owned three twin-gear juicers over the years....GreenLife, Samson Ultra, and just recently, the Marathon Twin Health Juicer. None did the job I wanted.
Now, how do we go about doing this? We could both juice, say 20 medium size Carrots, and report back as to how much juice we got......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Challenge for Juicin' John
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 17, 2007 09:24PM

weigh the carrots ...use a glass measuring cup to measure ..

post the pics =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 17, 2007 09:45PM

Jodi....Happy Thought!! Now I have to buy a Scale. I guess I should be juicing Carrots, anyway, by weight rather than 'Guesstimation'. Good Idea.......WY

Date: May 17, 2007 10:45PM

haha sorry didnt mean to spend yer money =p

i got lucky and got a free kitchen scale , its a little digital one that goes as low as 1 gram increments up to a couple pounds , 5 i think

i got it off either freecycle or craigslist i cant remember smiling smiley

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 18, 2007 03:39AM

perhaps you are correct... but i have got better things to do in my life than waste my time with such a request sorry. you can't juice anything but hard stuff like carrots,beets etc. my greenstar does everythingincludoing carrots.

perhaps your omega can do agood job on carrots but that's all it can do.

sounds like i may have ruffled your feathers.

another thing you may want to consider is that the twingeat will not aerate the juice like your centrifugal does therefore less oxidation and better tasting and longer lasting storage capabilities. not to mentention emf pollution.

sorry yogi ....i mean no offense to your offer but i wont waste my time with such. if yours is as good as you are saying and i have no reason to doubt you, we would end up with results so close in volume that it would not be worth talking about.

but mind you that is all yours can do. mine stoill does everything else and yours is quite limited. and who wants to stock up with 2 or 3 machines when you can do it all in one. nice try.

juicin john

Date: May 18, 2007 04:03AM

JJ.....Well okay, if that's the way you want to be. I respect your position. I must say I do like my Omega 4000 centrifugal for Carrots, and yes, that's all I use it for...really mows them down. I have 2 other juicers and a blender for everything else.
Keep juicing Juicin' John and keep us posted with any new ideas that you have. I'm going to buy a Kitchen Scale and start weighing my carrots before juicing them.
BTW, how do you prepare your carrots for juicing? I scrub mine with a stiff nylon brush under water, then cut the tops and bottoms, trying to minimize the waste. I've read that some people peel them......WY

Date: May 18, 2007 04:07AM

ygi
i dont have the money to be buying all these machines like you seem to do so i am not able to speak about the omega 4000 since i have noit tried it out. but i have a pretty good idea form using both the non-pulp ejecting and the newer pulp ejecting types. both have proven themselves as sufficiently wasteful in my experiences. as i incidiacted to you in my above post, i am not about to waste either time or money to engage in a contest with you regarding this and i will give you the benefit of the doubt that your "centrifugal" is better than what i have tried thus far. i still find it hard to believe nevertheless. volume on carrots and similar types of veggies is your only claim to fame here. so what are you trying to prove with this callenge anyways?

here is an interesting link i just found.

[www.ethicaljuicers.co.uk]

p.s could someone please make this link turn blue for me, i'm somwhat of a computer nerd...been drinkin' too much of that wild grass and dandelion juice lately.

thank you for your help.

juicin' john

Date: May 18, 2007 04:10AM

oops ...it did turn blue but it left off the comparison chart. add the following
............./juicers_comparison.php

jj

Date: May 18, 2007 05:04AM

thanks for the link JJ

sorry ya guys wont do a comparison i thought it was for fun not to prove anything lol

juice on ! smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2007 06:04AM

sorry jgunn....did not mean to disappoint you. yogi seems to be pretty knowledgeable about his omega 4000 comparison. i'm not the typw for weighing and measuring. i eyeball just about everything i do. yogi seems like a pretty decent sort of person and i will give him the benefit of both juicers making close to the same volume of juice. if one surpasses the other it likely will not be by a significant amount.

besides that the weather is just getting warm here and i would much rather be doing stuff outside.

thanks for the challenge yogi,

juicin' john

Date: May 18, 2007 06:46PM

hehe its ok JJ i dont dissapoint easily its all good i hear ya .. its beautiful may long weekend lets all get out there an enjoy the weather and the air an the ground

i think yer both decent persons smiling smiley certainly both the more knowlegeable on this forum about juicin ! smiling smiley

i guess .. i tend to analayze things to death =p as i get older im getting over my overanalysis paralysis =p

Date: May 18, 2007 07:58PM

and thanks for the link !

Date: May 18, 2007 09:25PM

jodi

i hear you about the analysis paralyis thing.

it totally inhibits the free flow of mind body integration.

i go with the flow of my gut feelings.

alot of really amazing and beautiful things have a chance to take form and flow when we dont get in our our own way.

its just like the centipede when he was asked what foot he pusts forward first.

just do it!!!

jj

Date: May 18, 2007 11:58PM

haha thanks JJ grinning smiley

when i was in kathmandu nepal for a year i remember sitting on these temple steps just BAWLING my eyes out and this monk sits there listening to me go on an on an on an ON about all my troubles and woes

im thinking he is gonna offer me some profound deep advice

he looks at me an says ..

so? whattaya gonna do about it ?

haha !

the rest of our conversation after i stared stupidly for a few minutes was keep it simple stupid , anything difficult can and will be overcome .. there are no problems only solutions .. nothing worth having comes easy and my personal favorite (and he really did say this)

when life hands you lemons make lemonaide =p

(i think this monk had some western influence somewhere winking smiley ...)

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 21, 2007 03:27AM

this thread is INSANE. LOL

my juice come in a little glass bottle. I bring it back and get another couple smiling smiley If I had 3 juicers and a scale, my roomies would be pissed..already have a bunch of fruit stinking up the place.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 27, 2007 11:11AM

where do you buy fresh juiced juices in a glass bottle?? that is cool i can't find anything like that around here haha
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 27, 2007 02:39PM

EA.....I don't think you'll find Fresh Juices in glass bottles or in anything else. All the juice I've seen in glass has been Pasteurized, and pricey too. Best to do your own.....WY

Date: May 27, 2007 10:09PM

i have heard of such a thing. it usually associated with those who are well off financially and who prefer the convenience of having their juices made for them.
a press type juicer such as the norwalk.... and now the greenstar, gives the ability to store juices under refridgeration for short periods of time. although i agree that there is nothing like making it and drinking it fresh out of the juicer.

i once know a person who made juices with a greenstar and had a business delivering them to attorneys and other sorts who could afford 10 dollars for a 12 oz. bottle of fresh juice.

he actually had regular customers for who he juiced on a regular basis...not a bad way to earn alittle extra cash.

juicin' john

Date: May 28, 2007 01:29AM

yeah, its made with a norwalk.

better quality then anything I've ever made fresh IMO (even 1,2 days fridgerated), all organic, and considering time and inconvience of having a juicer in my current setting (although I do own one - packed away right now) beats my meager income/budget EVERY time. of course if I was doing MUCHO juicing this wouldn't be feasable, however 16 oz of 'pressed' is quite a bit compared to the time/energy/quality/money gone into making say 32 oz of vege juice on my own.

for what JJ is speakin of

In case anyone is curious about a startup business. this would hands down be the way to go over a 'juice bar'. Juicing SHOULD be centralized IMO...less power/energy/ transit of goods etc..would be great.

sorry about my curt and priveledged sounding response smiling smiley I just thought this whos juicer is better was kind of silly smiling smiley + I am always a big supporter of 'lazy' when appropriate. haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2007 01:31AM by anaken.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 29, 2007 12:43PM

i LOVE this thread

i mean, it reminds me of two guys who try to see whose car can outcompete the other car

but i have no interest in talking about jaguars and chevrolet and lamberginis( or whatever those contraptions are called) and hondas

but i do think its a riot when people will do that with their juicers

i think these two men are more enlightened than their non juicing counterparts by far..

if u think about it though

juicers are a lot like cars, in a way

both

1) take in fuel : cars take in gasoline and juicers take in greenz and carrots etc.

okay, i admit, the similarities stop there

but u get what i mean

this thread is cool

zoooom zooooooom!!

oh yeah, i do think that omegas do carrots a lot "better"

but it can't do greenz too well

and i likes my greenz

Date: May 29, 2007 01:22PM

la_v.....As you mentioned about cars, comparing Juicers is very much the same thing. It's all in the 'driving'. I'm getting very attached to my Juicers, and Blender...sob, sob. I also Love my '03 Acura RSX. Do you think I need a 'Shrink'?......WY

Date: May 29, 2007 06:55PM

..........no but a toyota prius and green star juicer might be worth your consideration for both categories. some people are saisfied with mediocrity...others strive for excellence. take your pick.

jj

Date: May 29, 2007 07:51PM

JJ.....I looked at the Toyota Prius. Wouldn't you know it, I like my Acura better. Do you think the back of my car is too much of an advertisement?
[img.photobucket.com]

Date: May 30, 2007 12:55AM

again my vote is bikes and apportioning the jucing responsibility. heh smiling smiley

Its a good way to fill up the juicy bank. works for fruits too smiling smiley

i'm attached to...myself smiling smiley

Date: June 02, 2007 12:32PM

I bought 5 1-lb. bags of Bunny-Luv Organic Carrots, washed them, cut the tops and bottoms, and then juiced them with my Omega 4000 (centrifugal), and then strained it. I got 49 ounces of juice. Not very scientific because the weight could be way off. Would have to do it several times and take an 'average'. Still haven't bought a scale.......WY
P.S. It works best when juicing a large amount not to juice it all at once but rather 1/4 at a time. Drink that, then juice 1/4 more, and so on. The whole process can take an hour or more.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 03, 2007 03:28AM

wheatgrass yogi

the back of your car with the license plate thing just made me want to drink some oranges fresh off of the tree

ha ha.. you guys are funny!! talkinn about prius and acura

WY

i think yer advertisement is cool!

Date: June 03, 2007 04:05PM

Thanks la_v, I spent a lot of time putting it all together. My little Orange Tree should be producing fruit soon. Didn't get any last season.
Do it with Love.....WY

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 03, 2007 04:29PM

New cars suck. Even if they are Priuses. (Priui?)

New cars have a fixed production cost typically of over 2000 gallons of gas.

I use about 50 gallons of gas per year (which is way more than what I ought to be using, which is zero, hopefully this will be fixed within six months or so).

It would take me 40 years of driving to equal the gas cost of making one new Prius.

Date: June 03, 2007 08:48PM

eat it Prius!

I was reading in the Times Magazine about Ed Bagelys solar charging car. he also has a stationary bike that powers his computer. Now we need a computer where the typing on the keys produces power for the juicer. juicer produces man power for the biker and we have something perpetual happening.

Date: June 04, 2007 12:01AM

It must be 'Hell' riding a stationary bike and using a computer at the same time.....WY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables