Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

need a juicer. any advice?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:36AM

hi, my name is jonathan and i'm new here at lf.
i am also new to the living foods diet itself.

i'm trying to start by finding a quality juicer.
the two i have my eyes on are the gs3000 and the
green power kempo.

the main factors i'm weighing is quality
(nutrient & enzyme content) vs. easy of use
(preperation and cleanup.

i'm open to others too, these are just the
ones that appeal to me.

i have a few other questions.
would it be better to invest in a nice juicer
or start with something less?

any other essentials? several recipes
i've noticed call for a food processor.
i dont want so many appliances.

thanks. =3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need a juicer. any advice?
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 24, 2007 07:43PM

jonathan

get yourself a greenstar 1000 and then upgrade to the 3000 with an upgrade kit, when you feel you would like to use the machine for more advanced usuage.. for example preparing raw food recipes. there is a nice book which is written to help people maximize their ability to use the greenstar for raw food prep....it is called " living with green star" by elysa markowitz(i think).

the kempo machine "pales" in comparison to the full size greenstar machine. if you need parts or service ...you can be sure that the tribest company will be there to help you. thes other companies like kempo often go out of business and then the customers are stuck without any where to go. so buy from a company that you can trust to be there when you need help. tribest has shown good performance over the years and appears to be growing at a steady and healthy pace.

greenstar will be the jewel of your raw food collection of tools.

go for it.

juicin' john

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: May 24, 2007 11:36PM

HI JK

I love my Kempo juicer.
I am aware that juicing john is not a fan of the kempo.(He and i have discussed this on previous threads)
I have used both the green star and the kempo. I bought the kempo.

I didnt bother buying the wheatgrass gears as the standard ones work fine and produce very little foam.

Its a lightweight easy to clean machine that takes up very little counter space.
You have obviously done some research, so i can understand why the Kempo has caught your attention!
I bought my Kempo a year ago. I'm very happy with it. I use it every day. I clean it immediately after use and I'm very happy with it.

I started with several centrifugal juicers, then upgraded to a twin gear once i decided that juicing worked for me. Some people prefer to blend, so may choose to invest in high power blenders.
happy juicing
Lorretta

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 25, 2007 03:38AM

Welcome Jonathan,

My first purchase was a juicer. Looking back, I think I would've preferred to buy the blender first. (I researched the juicers before I plunked down over $200 for one. The best ones I found were the GreenStar and the Solo Star II. I went for the cheaper one, the Solo Star II. If ever I want to buy another juicer, I will likely buy the GreenStar.) I still like my juicer but I can do more with my blender than with the juicer.

It really depends on what you plan to eat/drink the most first. When I first got my juicer, I was juicing alot but then found the cleaning to be a bother and I went through so much fruit. It was way expensive.

With the blender, I can make smoothies to drink in addition to raw soups and salsas. I bought a BlendTec Champ HP3. (The other one that people like is the VitaMix.)

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2007 01:22PM

hmm... these are all very good advice..

i want a juicer for the nutrition i've been hearing
of about freshly made juice and its live enzymes.
(esp. carrot juice)

but i've notice some delicious looking recipes
on this site that call for other gadgetry.
such as this recipe for almond milk... mmmm..
but for nuts i'll need a blender, right?

would it hurt to start with a cheaper
blender? i'm mainly making an investment
for a juicer for quality juice's
nutrient value.

and then theres a food processor.. so much stuff!
i'd like to make a variety of stuff, but i want
to keep things simple.
i'd rather have less utilities..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables