Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Jucing meeting calorie requirements?
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 28, 2007 09:40PM

Right after doing a fair bit of reading I am embarking on a juice feast.

I have read a lot about different peoples views on calories etc. This isnt a huge concearn to me but I am trying to stick to 80 10 10 amounts. Loosly.

I have been crunching my juice intake for the past few days just to get an idea

It seems to be coming in at between 400-600 cal tops

Meeting Vitamin A, C but nowhere near on Iron and Calcium, any advice for changing this?- just adding more greens?

Is it okay to be consuming this amount calorifically speaking for the next 92 days?

As hard as I am trying 600 is the top end and I feel uncomfortable on that. Too full to sleep. I cant force more down just for the sake of it.

I know most people just say focus on intuition which is what I have been doing; but clearly falling short on calcium and iron in the long run isnt good..

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Raw_dancer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jucing meeting calorie requirements?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 28, 2007 10:15PM

Enough calories from Just Juice has always been a problem of mine. I say drink a lot of Green Juice and enough Carrot Juice to keep yourself 'Full' and just let your weight fall where it may. My Back Pain always improves when I do this......WY
P.S. When people start commenting about how thin you're getting, you know you're on the right Track.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 29, 2007 12:18AM

>Is it okay to be consuming this amount calorifically speaking for the next 92 days?

No. I've seen your pic, you are thin to begin with and if you do a 1000 kcal deficit daily for 92 days you will end up weighing about 80 lbs.

You need more kcals than that. Angela Stokes added some EFAs to her green juices. I am not suggesting that you do that, but you do need to double or triple your kcals to be able to keep it up for 92 days without coming out of it looking like a skeleton.

You could add another 3-4 of glasses of juice: OJ, apple, carrot to keep from losing so much weight.

But if you want to meet iron, calcium, zinc, etc. you will need to also add a lot more greens. 400 g each of romaine, spinach, kale, celery, and cucumber will work, or you can sub with similar things if you like other greens more. Most juicers produce roughly 50% of the starting material in weight in juice weight.

It will be expensive. But an interesting experiment.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:01AM

I wouldn't worry about ANY minerals..this is the last thing you need to worry about on a juice feast.

the very idea of a feast is abundance...so I would just look at what other people are doing in terms of getting adequate calories. I assume they are clocking way more then 600. certainly before there was the juice 'feast' there was the juice 'fast' so I wouldn't stress too much..but you want to do what is comfortable. I assume you will lose weight (waste) either way.

as for sticking to 8 10 10 ammounts... if you are doing mucho greens (which I think would be best) you will probably be going over 10 for protein (not an issue) , don't see how you could go over 10 in fat from fruit and vege juice. as for the general 811 rules I wouldn't worry about getting 'enough' EFA's

Date: May 30, 2007 06:54PM

Thanks for the help

basically stick to instinct and see how I go.

I just cant get over that threshold without making myself sick, so I will stick to whats comfortable for me for now and keep an eye on the weight.

Thanks again

Raw-Dancer

Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 07, 2007 07:37PM

I was told that calories were less important than nutrients. Like your body really wants vitamins and minerals and food is a form- a shape- that carries those things to you. I would bet that you can do fine If you get your nutrients...maybe make nut-milk or I don't know, just think about it.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 07, 2007 08:59PM

I agree with rainbowgrl about calories and nutrients. I feel fine, with plenty of energy, on Liquids, as long as I drink Wheatgrass Juice once or twice a day. You'll lose weight on Liquids, but the Goal is to give the Body a chance to Rest and Heal.....WY

Date: June 09, 2007 12:57PM

Thank you I will not worry about the calories then.

I have lost around 12lb the past two weeks, have been including some juicy fruits to slow things down a bit.

I know it will stabalise at the right place.

TY for the advice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables