Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Non-organic juicing vegies
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 03, 2007 04:15PM

I usually buy non-organic carrots, beets and celery to juice because I read years ago that the pesticides stay mostly in the fiber,which I strain out.

Does anyone have info on that, cuz sometimes I wonder if I should splurge more often on organic!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non-organic juicing vegies
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 03, 2007 04:25PM

No, in fact the fibers help you get rid of the toxins.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Juicing I think is find as long as you are getting plenty of dietary fiber before you juice. This means more than current recs (30 g/day). I think doubling that is a good measure.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 03, 2007 08:57PM

I don't know what you mean by above. but juice should always be going through on an EMPTY stomach.

I generally prefer to buy organic greens and not sweat as much about commercial fruits.

When I had my juicer going and was juicing lots of Dandelion, I could never find it organic, but almost always mixed it with organic cellery and spinach.

I don't think pesticides are a huge issue, just rinse throughly. that said, the juicy goes right into your stream, so I agree any 'toxins' present would probably go right in, the fiber I don't think would 'get rid of toxins', but there might be some kind of elinative process in digestion where any chemicals are filtered out easier, just a hypothesis.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 05, 2007 03:02PM

i think there is alot good stuff out there which is not labeled organic. use your own gut feeling about it. i have found lotsa good fruits and veggies that way.

jj

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 14, 2007 03:47AM

The pesticides would be extracted and mixed with the juice just the same.. It's all mixed in together once it goes through the juicer.

Why use non-organic carrots? Carrots are one of the easiest and cheapst things to find organic. Costs me about .89lb for organic carrots.
Even though Beet Tops/Greens have a lot of good stuff in them, I usually take the cheap way out and by the organic "loose beets" that WholeFoods throws in a bin because it's cheaper than the whole beets.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 14, 2007 07:13PM

What I meant was that, when I make juice, I carefully strain it before drinking it, so I don't consume any of the vegie fiber.(Most juicers do an imperfect job of straining out the pulp, so I always re-strain it.)

I was told, or read, many years ago, that the pesticides were bound to the plant fibers and stayed there and would not be released into the juice. So if that's true, it wouldn't be bad to use non-organic vegies for juice - not the best for the planet, but not so bad for the juice-drinker.

Anyway that's why I've been buying non-organic for juicing.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 15, 2007 05:27PM

certainly organic is preferable to non-organic.

and....non-orgaic is certainly preferrable to not juicing at all.

to not juice simply because of not being able to juice organic is really dumb!

this is a good opertunity to look at other areas of choices people are confronted with. for example if you cannot afford the best juicer ...not to juice. i used a centifugal until i was able to get a greenstar. i definitely sould say juice with whatever kind of juicer you can afford to purchase. juicing with something is better than not juicing at all...and non organic produce is much better than no produce.

personally it my opinion that too much emphasis is put on the pesiticide issue concerning non organically grown sources of of food.

give thanks and use what is availble...in closing i must say tha i admire the work of those who are growing organically and for the contribution they have made towards effcting the needed changes for growing better food.

dont worry...be happy!

juicin' john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables