Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone use a champion?
Posted by: Lauralai ()
Date: June 23, 2007 01:08PM

Hi all, I am totally new to this board and haven't even gone raw yet. I'm pregnant and am experiencing such health problems that I've turned here. I have an old champion from my younger and healthier days but I need to get a few parts for it. Just wondering if I should invest in the parts or a new juicer? I don't have much $$ and the parts would set me back about 100 bucks. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lauralai

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone use a champion?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 23, 2007 03:46PM

This is a 'tough' call. Since you already have a Champion Juicer, it might be best to go ahead and repair it, even though there are many juicers that are more efficient. My second choice would be to 'scrap' the Champion and buy an 'all-purpose' single-gear. The Omega 8003 is a nice one. Good Luck in whatever decision you make.....WY

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 24, 2007 11:29PM

i just got rid of my extra champion... i couldn't let it go until a month ago. i have had an omega for two years, but still felt a very strong bond to my champion. since you're pregnant, i would probably just get an omega (rather than do 100 dollars of repairs) since the omegas do greens so much better than champions.

really, a lot better. and they're quite affordable.

peace-

Date: June 25, 2007 04:58PM

Thanks Guys!!

Lauralai

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 25, 2007 10:21PM

if you go the $250 for an omega ....you may as well holf out a little while longer and get the best which is greenstar.

omega struggles with carrots and hard root veggies while doing ok with greens.

greenstar does greens and root vegetable both very well...much better on both than an omega. i know people who have been using their greenstar for 15 years and it is still going strong. get something realy cheap...like at a thrift store ..... to get by with and save your investment for a greenstar and you have no regrets.

good health to you and your baby!

juicin' john

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 06, 2007 03:48AM

2 Life Health Products (online) is a good source for comparing juicers. I think they have the best prices and you can call for even better specials that are not advertised online.

Date: July 08, 2007 05:43PM

I say go with a juicer from a progressive company that is constantly upgrading their models. The Champion Juicer is virtually unchanged since it came out (40 or 50?) years ago. Whereas the Tribest (GreenStar) and Omega Companies are constantly improving their juicers.....WY

Date: July 08, 2007 09:12PM

Thanks everyone so much for the input!! I ended up going with the Omega 8003. It arrived a few days ago and I LOVE IT! It's definately an upgrade from the champion. It's much quieter and easier to assemble. And easier to clean. I made banana ice cream with it last night and it worked much better than it used to with my champion. I'm very pleased. Let the healing begin.....

Lauralai

Date: July 09, 2007 04:28PM

lauralai will not be able to juice carrots beets and other hard types of vegetables since the omega has a plastic single gear. had been more astute in her acesswment of value towards her purchase of a juicer ...she would have notice that for another $100 daollars she could have gotten a machine which has 2 stainless steel steel grinding gears capable of juicing the hard roots like carrots and also making the frozen bananna ice cream.

yes her machine juices the carrots but it does a poor job and struggles to do evan that. now she needs a separate machine for carrots and other hard types of veggies....and high sppeed centrifugals notably produce an inferior qulaity carrot juice.

my point here is not to riducule laura lai.... but to elucidate the actuality of the decision she has made to go with an inferior product in hopes of saving a little money or perhaps some other reason.

i hope my post here will help another person in her situation to obtain a better value for their money and for their juicing possibilities.

enjoy your machine laura it is much better than no machine at all.

juicin'john

Date: July 09, 2007 08:57PM

Oh JJ....Back off a little bit. We all know where you stand. Quit 'whipping' us with it over and over again. Daddy!! Don't hit me again.....WY

Date: July 10, 2007 03:26PM

i am not here to promote incontinance, foolishness, nor ignorance. i will always side with the truth.

anyway....i find your "humor" and "worn out cliches" to be a bit trite and queer...mr. wheatgrass yogi.

nothing worse than a "pseudo-educated" foolish person who has not the ability to see and understand his own pitiful plight.

its a good thing for you... that you juice. where there is juice... there is hope.

sorry i had to so blunt about it but you asked for it ...dood.

juicin' john

Date: July 10, 2007 04:30PM

JJ....That's okay if you see me that way. Believe me, I'm doing the best I can, but as you pointed out, so clearly, I am far from perfect.
The point I was trying to make is your constant promotion of the GreenStar twin-gear Juicer. There are others here, like yourself, who use, and love, the GreenStar. But I think the Main thing is the fact that we believe in Juicing. The juicer, or juicers, we use should be an individual preference......WY

Date: July 10, 2007 05:07PM

juicing people deserve to know what the best juicer is...if someone "new" happens to read this board, ....they will not be misled if i can help it. i realize that not everyone makes the same choices.i am ok with that and i agree wholeheartedly that some kind of a juicer is better than no juicer at all.

new people ...most of the time need help from those who know more about different machines and i have chose to help them along their way in that process.

i simply stated that lauralai did not get the most value per dollar for her investment. hopefully that illustration of value and chice of machine could help another person confronted with the same decision to make.

greenstar presents more "value and quality" per dollar spent than any machine on the market. why not help people get that.

juicing is the most highly leveraged tool for building health on the planet.
the real expense is not the machine it is the cost of the produce you juice and the time you spend with preparation and cleanup.

buy the best machine and in the long term you save time and money and.....you get to enjoy the maximum health benefits which can be gained through juicing.

i think it is very important for a person to get the highest value in a juicer the first time around. no regrets ...no needing to spend more money on a better machine..and maximum value for the time and money they spend on their juicing.

i do not mean to criticize you as a person ..i do not know what your personal challenges are...we all have our own to deal with...but...when you say or post something for which i need to express a differnce of opinion.... belive me ,i will express it.

please allow me to end on an "in-commonly" positive note in agreement with your basic sentiment..

and that is "keep on juicin' mama...juicin' your blues away"

juicin' john

Date: July 10, 2007 05:46PM

JJ....Well said. I can't argue with you. The personal challenge I have is Chronic Back Pain. Exercise and Diet are slowly helping me to heal. I feel better when I'm living on a Liquid Diet. For some reason there's less pressure in my colon, and that helps relieve the back pain. I believe Juicing is the way to go for everyone, not just for us with Physical Problems.
Happy Juicing (and healing) to All.......WY

Date: July 10, 2007 09:10PM

it has been stated by some of the veritable experts that back pain especially lower back pain isrelated to tocic colon and bowel problems...which through direct association in the "linkage schematic" of the human body...a very close relationship to the liver a gall bladder.

gall bladder, kidney and liver cleansing protocols are to be very seriously considerd and applied for a wholistic approach to such a condition.

certain herbal juices in small dasages might be something to consider. also dr. schulz has sever products in tincture form and packaged with other products for these type of cleanses.

rolfing and deep tissue massage may be appropriate (especially with fasting) to dislodge deep seated toxins within the muscles. lactic and uric acid(meat caused) will often times be a factor in muscle soreness.

far infra-red sauna(for 1 person) would be an excellent investment for your healing program.
the type that sits on the floor and you lay down inside of it. very good for sweating out toxins during a fast. ther are several models available..sporty is the the one i know.

chiropractic adjustment ,especially of the atlas are anoth consideration here.

exercise of those muscles is required to get them back into shape and strong again as you get to feeling better. not too much over load here but take it slow but steady. i like hanging from a chinning bar for a minute or so.

roll up a 2 towel with an 7 inch wooden dowel or broom stick.... nice and tight and secure it with rubber bands...so that you have a tightly wound towel about 7 inches long and 5 to 6inches in diameter. put one under your neck and one under the curve of the lower back and lay flat on the floor for 10 or 15 minutes. home made traction device is what it is called.

and juice ...it will get better if you stick to it.

juicin' john

p.s. rolfing is an excellent treatment.

Date: July 11, 2007 07:18PM

What about the Jack LaLane juicer? Is this a good juicer, I heard that the hole on top is much bigger for less slicing than other juicers.

How about Vitamix? I heard this is by far the best, but the most expensive!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2007 08:51AM

Hi, All Fellow Juicers
New to the community. I was surfing around and found Your great site. Enjoy this forum and all the knowledge in this group. As for me I have a Vita-Mix and love it. Yes they are expensive, but
you could buy recondition one from vita-mix. I use
mine daily with no problems. This blender is whole food juicer.
Good Day Juicers
Steve

Date: July 12, 2007 02:16PM

Hi, juicin john, actually the greenstar was 150 dollars more plus shipping. It may not sound like a lot to you but for my family right now it is a fortune and the whole thing was to get juicing while I was still pregnant. We are living on my husbands student loan and food stamps because I am at home with our young son and am having a complicated pregnancy that prevents me from working. We get exactly 284 dollars a month for food for all of us. We put the juicer on our emergency credit card and there is a big difference between 200$ shipping included and 350$ shipping not included, ya know? There wasn't any room on the card for 350$+ I understand that the greenstar is the best. I believe you. However, I am still very pleased with what I got and am juicing everyday. That is the main thing. I don't juice many carrots anyway. and it only takes like half a beet to mix in a drink. What I had was a messed up Champion and this one is a huge step up. Please don't lecture me about how much I would save in the long run on produce because the almighty greenstar is more efficient. I get that, but it was either I get something for 200 or less or nothing. Not everyone has expendable income.

Lauralai

Date: July 12, 2007 03:25PM

lauralai

if things wenen't so private in the world we live...and you could have told me that ahead of time ...i would have wanted to you with the extra money needed. dont get me wrong..i am not a millionaire or something like that ..but i do enjoy helping other whenever a legitimate opportunity to do so is presented.

good luck with your machine and all other aspects of your life.

it is ok to email me if i can help.

juicin' john

Date: July 12, 2007 03:37PM

stef

the people here on this board actually know what a vita mix is and what it is capable of doing.

obviously you do not realize that their is no such thing as a whole food juicer.

vita mix makes "vegetable smoothies" and hot soup out of veggies.

the vita mix company has been heartlessly telling those who are unknowledgeable about juice that the vita mix is a juicer...by definition alone that is untrue.

juice as defined by those who juice....is the separation of pulp from juice.

and please dont write back that we need fiber in our juice because it is good for us...i promise you i will not respond.

get a book on juicing if you would like to be more knowledgeable about what juicing is all about.

as for jack la lanne juicer in the other post....

yea it has a big feeding chute to take in a whole apple etc....but it is still a centrifugal....the juice is compromized by the oxygen factor... and it wastes a lot of juice not to mention its inability to juice greens etc. in my opinion ..a pooor investment for a serious juicing person.

juicin' john

Date: July 13, 2007 12:33AM

I first owned a champion then moved on to the Green Star after I got tired of the champion always plugging up on me when I juiced kale and other tough greens.
Lauralai you don't juice carrots!! Carrot juice is one of the most healing juices out there. One of our old Islanders (now passed on from old age) healed himself from cancer drinking carrot juice. Juice your carrots and feed the juices to your kids too they will love it.

Date: July 22, 2007 12:11AM

My sister in NM has a Champion and loves it, I have a Omega 8003 and love it. I must admit though it was expensive enough for me. I wasn't sitting on the money, my daughter paid for it and I reimburshed her. I feel whatever we can only afford, as long as we try to put live food in our bodies it will respond to it, just like it responds to the garbage we put in it.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 08, 2007 02:30AM

i just got a champion for $4 at a thrift store.. good deal, eh?

can anyone help me with the following...

will it actually make nut butters?

if so, any tips?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 08, 2007 02:40AM

wow fresh good deal !! grinning smiley what model is it?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 02:41AM by Jgunn.

Date: August 08, 2007 03:41AM

just the standard champion juicer i guess...

really easy to clean. maybe not the best juicer, but seems to work fine so far

Date: August 08, 2007 03:57AM

hmm ok well this is what is on champion site

[www.championjuicer.com]

im gonna try and make some walnut oil this winter .. i have a huge supply of walnuts so im curious about coldpressing some oil out of them .. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 08, 2007 04:13AM

thanks jodi

Date: August 08, 2007 04:23AM

hmm and if you cant find say ... a almond oil for almonds or a cashew oil for cashews (thast is if you find you need added oil)

hemp oil is very neutral tasting so i think if it were me id try that .. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 08, 2007 03:43PM

Fresh-
i found my champion made the best nut butters,
the omega only makes nut flours
so that was actually what my champion was used for in the years when i never juiced in it.....

almond butters are great
though i must confess
to being a ridiculous fan
of macadamias

walnuts naturally seem to separate into oil and thick paste

pecans make flour

never tried cashews....

have fun!

peace-

Date: August 08, 2007 05:10PM

thanks mama cass...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables