Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm taking a Poll.
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 05, 2007 12:17AM

I'm about 50% Organic at the moment. It varies all the way up to 100%. I've found some good non-Organic Celery and Watermelon here lately. My Carrots and Wheatgrass are always Organic.
On the average, what percent Organic are you?.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm taking a Poll.
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 05, 2007 12:56AM

Probably about 80%.

Carrots, Banannas, beets and leafy greens are always organic. Organic apples mostly in season.. This time of year the organics suck.. Especially since I love the green ones. I juice them when they're non organic. According to Norman Walker, the pesticides are glued to the fiber anyway which makes sense to me since you can't wash the wax look off and chewing doesn't activate pesticides like it does enzymes.

Lemons, Oranges, Melons are the type of things I don't always get organic. Sometimes I buy the prepared "fruit" mixtures in wholefoods and those aren't organic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2007 12:57AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 05, 2007 06:13AM

I just went to the local farmers market and the majority on the produce was organic. I get my carrots at the grocery store and they are organic
I get mellons non organic. Unless I am lucky and rich I will get an organic watermellon and juice the rind. I don't trust the rind of non organic watermellon. But the organic ones cost so much about a doller a pound.
I got nonorganic avacados and kiwi's But because of the farmers market there is an abundance of organic produce available.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 05, 2007 03:57PM

If you mean what percentage of juicing produce is organic, then less than 25%.

I haven't been juicing much lately and the rest of my food is 95% + organic. As LikeitorNot mentioned, I believe that the toxins stick to the fibre, hence I buy conventional vegies and fruit for juicing.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 05, 2007 04:03PM

right now im probably 75% Org versus 25% not being as there is more cheaper organic produce available up here in canuckle-land .. during the winter id say im more 50/50 smiling smiley

this was a cool list i found some time ago i posted it on the main forum but its buried deep now lol its found at [www.foodnews.org] i found it helpful becaue i used to spend the extra $$$ buying organic avo's ...well their low on the list now i spend my organic bucks on the higher scored stuff and choose the non from the lower end of the list when possible smiling smiley

RANK
FRUIT OR VEGGIE
SCORE

1 (worst)
Peaches
100 (highest pesticide load)

Apples

Sweet Bell Peppers

Celery

Nectarines

Strawberries

Cherries

Lettuce

Grapes - Imported

Pears

Spinach

Potatoes

Carrots

Green Beans

Hot Peppers

Cucumbers

Raspberries

Plums

Oranges

Grapes-Domestic

Cauliflower

Tangerine

Mushrooms

Cantaloupe

Lemon

Honeydew Melon

Grapefruit

Winter Squash

Tomatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Watermelon

Blueberries

Papaya

Eggplant

Broccoli

Cabbage

Bananas

Kiwi

Asparagus

Sweet Peas-Frozen

Mango

Pineapples

Sweet Corn-Frozen

Avocado

45 (best)
Onions
1 (lowest pesticide load)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 05, 2007 06:19PM

J....Thanks for your list. I'm going back to Organic Celery, even though it doesn't look as good as the non-organic. I always peel my Apples, organic or not. It just 'feels' right.....WY
P.S. Lots of good food on your list. Makes me want to eat. I'm on the 5th day of a Juice Feast.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 05, 2007 11:21PM

Besides the concern over pesticides.. I think it's a waste buying a bunch of non-organic stuff if the quality sucks. I rather have 2lbs of high quality, organic for $5 than 5lbs of low quality.

Date: August 06, 2007 12:18AM

Trouble is, you can't get good produce whether it's Organic or non-Organic. Best to grow your own. I think elnatural does the best at this. JJ may grow some of his own food. I grow Wheatgrass, but that's about it......WY

Date: August 06, 2007 06:34AM

Growing my own is a goal ...

I remember when we used to see vegetable gardens filling whole front yards all around Vancouver residential areas: mostly Italian families growing their own. Now I appreciate how closely they monitored their food, but it wasn't till I had an Italian boyfriend whose grandmother loved having us for authentic Italian meals that I absolutely fell in love with the freshness and integrity of every single ingredient she used. I was still a teenager and from the two years of those meals and finding a wonderful cafe owned by a Nicois chef cooking similarly fresh meals around the same period in my life, I imitated the freshness and simplicity of those cuisines for most of my life, never really eating SAD. That was my segue to raw.

But I don't see many front yard veg gardens anymore and I bet my former bf is eating SAD now.

I shouldn't post late at night....I always wander wayyyy off topic.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 06, 2007 01:23PM

grow your own.

lay a plastic tarp over a large area of the yard and the grass will die in a month or so...dig it up and put in some veggies.

look to farmers market for nice looking produce and some farms sell roadside stands. in the eastern united states the amish sell good stuff.

some grocery store chains like aldi have great produce and great prices.

paying regular prices for regular produce at a regular supermarket seems like a rip off to me. i would rather go the extra 30% in cost and get organic. some items are ok like jodi says.

jj

Date: August 06, 2007 02:46PM

*veering off topic with aqua lol* I remember those vancouver front yard gardens too !!! my nana had one and you just never see them anymore .. so many around the commercial drive/little italy area and up on the east side .. its so funny you mentioned that too cuz ive been eyeing our vvast front grass space and thinking hmmm lol

sorry Yogi lol

ok back on topic tongue sticking out smiley

i generally dont peel anything as im too lazy/busy lol to bother ... i have these two Loofah bath mitts that are very coarse and i usally just give everything a quick rinse and scrub

so far i havent yhad any pesticide incidents in a long time (burning tingly lips tongue etc ) hehe smiling smiley

Date: August 06, 2007 04:02PM

i read somewhere that many ag chemicals are used on apples and that approx 75% are retained in the skins.

based on this info i think that organic apples must be used.

if regular apples are used ...peeling is something to be considered.

jj

Date: August 06, 2007 05:17PM

yep .. lived in the apple okanagon for a few years and there is a TON of pesticide/herbicide/fertilizer use ... the quest for the perfect apple i guess

i found this little grove of apple trees here behind a subdivision that dips down into a gulley... so they were spared for now the wrecking ball ...

the tastiest apples i ever did have ...and im not a huge apple fan ! theyre so full of flavor when you bite you just cant help but want another one ! lol smiling smiley

Date: August 06, 2007 05:52PM

Hey Jodi that's great! You found fruit that actually has flavour. It's an elusive search in the supermarket, even organic stuff is quite bland.

I'm vicariously enjoying those apples, so glad you posted.

Date: August 06, 2007 09:00PM

home grown peaches are the most incredible fruit i ever ate.

some day i would like to plant a grove of peach trees and go inoto the peach business growing the finest organic peaches on the planet.

its not too hard to get a small grove started if you have the land with sunshine available.

jj

Date: August 06, 2007 09:08PM

omg jj yesssssss those big juicy peaches when i was kid the kind that dripped all over

mmm smiling smileyconvential fruit just doesnt compare to some of the old school stuff !

Date: August 06, 2007 10:00PM

Peaches are my Favorite Fruit, coming from the Peach State. I used to buy from Road-Side stands, and also Pick-Your-Own, often having a bushel of them in my house. Can't grow them in FL....you need a certain number of 'chill days'.
I didn't know what Organic was, back then.....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2007 07:58PM

I try and stay at 100%. On occasion, I will buy non-organic onions and banana's but that is rare. I have a local green market nearby and use urban organic food delivery so it helps. The more you can add organic to your diet, the better, for you and planet : -)

Date: August 11, 2007 08:20PM

It's hard to stay 100% Organic unless you live near a Natural Food Store. I'm about 75% now. I've been buying a few non-organic Watermelons. My girlfriend stays close to 100%. Today she bought some Romaine Lettuce from a grower at The Farmer's Market (in Brooklyn). It wasn't 'certified organic', but he said it wasn't sprayed. The real way to live is to grow all your own food. Even the Organic food we buy now is Nutrient Poor......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables