Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Just wheatgrass
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:25PM

When I first went raw, I never dreamed I'd like wheatgrass. I bought a juicer that doesn't do wheatgrass...and now I'm hooked on wheatgrass. Is there a good, inexpensive wheatgrass juicer that would work for one person not juicing large amounts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just wheatgrass
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:34PM

buy a z-star ...hand crank is what i call it. manually operated. there are a number of differnt brands. i know tha the z-star is easy to operate.. the stainless stteel and cast iron ones are slow and hard to operate as far as i know.

however the green star 1000 is the way to get yourself into the gourmet juice and wheatgrass idea.

good juicing!

jj

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:56PM

Islandgirl, wheat grass is the best isnt it? I love it to. I have a very old wheatenna brand wheat grass juicer. I got my dad and brother hooked of it and he just bought a juicer but it has not arrived yet. I will tell you about it when he gets it. My juicer is a cast iron one and it is a workout to use it. I have a book I would suggest though Its called wheat grass, nature's finest medicine by steve meyerowitz. I thought the book was very informative and helpful it even tells hints on growing.
I want the world to get hooked on wheat grass.................

Date: August 16, 2007 01:20AM

Pampam...I just had a one ounce shot. It was my first time. How much do you usually consume per day?

Posted by: imfree ()
Date: August 16, 2007 03:23AM

I'm hooked on wheatgrass too Exotic islandgirl.

I can buy the wheatgrass from one store and use my GS juicer to extract it, but I've seen the manual ones around and they are much more inexpensive.

I'm now growing my own in two different ways. I'm using a sprouter, with 1/2 soil, and since I had these containers from the store, I thought, what the heck, and filled them with soil, threw some seeds in, a little soil on top of them, and they are starting to grow also.

I'm taking two shots a day now, one before my hour walk in the early am and then one when I get home from work. I plan to up this a little, I love the taste of it!

Date: August 16, 2007 03:10PM

I just read on this forus that you can buy wheatgrass shots in bottles. How does this compare to fresh and where can you purchase them? I'm thinking for travel, it would be great.

The one shot I had yesterday really cleaned me out! WHEW! I would have to be very careful about increasing it to more!

A friend of mine buys the trays of wheatgrass, just cuts it and chews it because she doesn't have a juicer. Does anybody do that? I don't know if I could handle the consistency.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 16, 2007 03:46PM

I always read that the wheat grass ozydates very quickly. It is one of those items that must be used quickly. When it is dried it will lose some of its potency but it still has nutrients. I like it fresh. I have taken a bath in it and it really softens the skin (I did'nt use soap). As for the amount I take it depends on the availability. I have been trying to grow it yet have had some problems. I am still learning to grow it. It is fairly easy yet I am not the best green thumb in growing things. I have had tooth problems and take the pulp and soak it in the huice and set it on the tooth for about 20 min it seems to bring some relief. I have taken up to 6 oz at a time yet I would not recomend that in the begining. I have had headachs and severe cramps due to taking to much at a time so you must build it up. I think it helped me quit smoking because it draws nicoteen from your system. When I take it I make sure I have a empty stomach. I have taken it with food in my stomach and I will end up burping grass all day long, not to fun. When you take it swoosh it in your mouth for as long as you can mixing your saliva with the juice than you swallow. For me usually I feel a wave of what I call happy sunshine in about 20 min. I have not used it as a enema but that is good also it is an aid for detoxing. I have used it for a eye wash though. I felt it was beneficial for the eyes. I just read to use it as ear drops and nose drops. I gave some to my anamals and they enjoyed it greatly.
I suggest getting the book it is very informative.

Date: August 16, 2007 04:32PM

thanks for the info...I'm looking into getting it in powder form since right now I don't have a juicer and I can't be running to Jamba Juice every day!

Posted by: Miss_Tanya ()
Date: August 16, 2007 05:55PM

I had a wheatgrass smoothie in Singapore - they just blended the grass (unjuiced) with some fruits. Is this ok to do, or it there something bad in the grass that doesn't come out in the juice?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 16, 2007 07:02PM

I wouldn't blend Wheatgrass as part of a Smoothie. There are sharp fibers in the grass that should not be digested. In fact, Wheatgrass Juice itself should be strained very finely.....WY

Date: August 19, 2007 10:44PM

Islandgirl, although I am now growing my own (it's really easy to do), I got some that had been flash frozen. I bought it online. It has a good umph.

Date: August 20, 2007 12:16AM

Imfree..is your flash frozen stuff in powder form? If so, how do you use it? I'm assuming in smoothies???

Date: August 20, 2007 05:02AM

Islandgirl, no, it's liquid frozen. It's packed into these little round shapes, you cut off one or two and place them in a glass with a little water and then just drink. It tastes great. Really nice when I'm pressed for time and can't juice my growing grasses.

Date: August 20, 2007 06:44AM

imfree.....Could you provide us with a link so we can see what you're talking about? That "Good Umph" sounds interesting......WY

Date: August 20, 2007 04:54PM

Here it is. It's spendy until you break it down to serving size, compared to a smoothie bar that is.

[www.dynamicgreens.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 20, 2007 06:41PM

sunshine brought up an interesting point in another discussion about frozen veggies... ive yet to research it further but it does pose an interesting question .. and is flash frozen somehow better then regular frozen? and why is that? and what about the ion theory ..

jj or yogi or LaV do you folks ever freeze yer wheetgrass juice .. ?

Re: Raw vegetables vs. Frozen Vegs.
Posted by: sunshine79 (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2007 11:17AM

I would look at whether freezing affects the presence of the negative hydrogen ion, which I believe is the true key to good health as negative electrons are what neutralize oxidative free radical damage in our cells. All raw foods contain these; the fresher the food the more negative ions it has. It's a sensitive ion and I believe I read that both cooking AND freezing destroys it.

I believe that the enzyme theory of raw foods is only part of the story, as it only addresses biology. I believe the more big-picture explanation of why a raw food diet is essential lies in the physics explanation, i.e. the negative hydrogen ion, as physics is all-encompassing and the umbrella under which all the other sciences fall.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 20, 2007 07:23PM

Thanks imfree...

Date: August 20, 2007 08:21PM

Your welcome Islandgirl.

Since I am new to raw, I purchased this form of wheatgrass before I understood much of anything let alone the effects of freezing. Nevertheless, this product seems good enough for me. Two cubes and I'm happy and energetic for hours.

I am now growing my own, however, these are great in the am when I don't have time to juice and clean the juicer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2007 11:06PM

Hellosmiling smiley

I just got back from a store named "The Big Carrot" and they let you test all there juicers and blenders. Anyhoo, I tried one of there Vitamix blenders with wheatgrass and it worked super... Whith a small amount of water, the wheatgrass was liquified entirely. Although, some fibery foam stuff floated to the top, and it kinda looked like the way ice floats in a Slurpy (pop). I took a sip, fibre and all, and I was takin back to by the not only the taste, but also by that feeling of wholesome goodness vibe... That Hmmmm vibesmiling smiley So, I'll going to buy a Jack Lallane ASAPsmiling smiley

P.S. Follow your heart and love your bodiessmiling smiley

Date: August 26, 2007 12:30AM

Roy.....I would 'scream' Wait!!! But we all have to walk through the Fire. I believe there's something in the Bible about that.
Good Luck in your search......WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 26, 2007 12:35AM

ok i'll do it ...

WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!

winking smiley

ok im not sure why you are going for a jack lalane when you clearly enjoyed the wheatgrass vibe

the jacklalane wont do wheatgrass from what i understand of it .. if it does it wont do it well

just a thought smiling smiley

from what ive read the yield on grass is very VERY poor, it grabs the grass and ejects it without the blades even getting to it unless you wadd it up with other stuff and cross your fingers while hopping up and down on one foot while doing the hokey pokey smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 26, 2007 01:15AM

ray.....

please be mindful of what jodi is telling you. its true.

jj

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2007 12:17AM

Hellosmiling smiley

Well I changed my mind on the Jack Lellan blender, and went for the Vitamix 5000 blender. The warranty was much much better. For years, I've used a Green Power juicer for juicing wheatgrass. For me, I prefer a blender for wheatgrass, but only because it is so fast, and so easy to use and clean. In less then a few seconds, all the wheatgrass is liquified, and the fiber is turned 100% into a froth that is not at all fibery. The wheatgrass juice produced is very tasty. I have concidered the heat produced by the blending process. If you use chilled water to blend the wheatgrass, I'm not sure there will be any loss of nutrient do to heat (especialy since the blender blends the wheatgrass so quickly; before, any heat is produced). Yes, I guess there will be more oxidation. And no, the wheatgrass fiber is not digstable, but does that really mater? The same can be said about a variety of vegies, but we eat them anyway. Dr Ann Wigmore preferd using a blender for juices. She claimed blended juices were a more complete food. Although, she did use a juicer for wheatgrass (she never really said why?). I'm in the process of emailing Victorus Kulvinskas (If you haven't herd of Victor, he is the wheatgrass mansmiling smiley...) to ask him what he thinks of blending wheatgrass. I remember reading in one of his books that drinking wheatgrass juice in a pure crude form (e.g. bottled form) was toxic to bone marrow. I would appreciat any feedback for the forum on this discusion, and I will post another reply to this thread once if hear back from Victor...

Regards... Roysmiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2007 01:12AM

That's a good idea to email Vik Kulvinskas about blending Wheatgrass. When I was a lot younger, I wrote to him about Wheatgrass. He sent me a detailed drawing of a homemade Wheatgrass Juicer, which I put together and used for many years. It was an old Health Fountain manual with a motor attached.
Let us know what he says. My experience says not to blend wheatgrass......WY

Posted by: knownalien ()
Date: September 03, 2007 05:13PM

i don't know what the heck wheatgrass is. can i just mix it with carrots??

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: September 28, 2007 01:27PM

Hi knownalien,
wheatgrass is young wheat used in its grass stage as opposed to grain.

I always found wheatgrass goes really nice with carrot juice and its also alot easier for a beginner than just straight shots or mixing it with just water as the carrot helps make it more palatable and easier to digest.

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: September 28, 2007 01:30PM

I agree with wheatgrass yogi. The fibers of wheatgrass are way too sharp and abrassive for our system. I feel its very important to always strain with a fine strainer unless of course you pressed it with Norwalk or welles or k&k press and its already totally fiber free smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables