Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best Juicer??? - Confusion
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2007 08:07AM

Hi

This is my first post. I am looking to buy a juicer. I have bought a manual one to begin with, but there seems to be so much waste of moist pulp.

So I want a twin gear. However, there is so much conflicting information on the web about the Greenstar and the Hippocrates. This site seems to favour the Greenstar, and the Greenstar website warns about the Hippocrates, which it says is inferior in many ways.

However, I have also found sites claiming that the Hippocrates is much better in most ways:
[www.ethicaljuicers.co.uk] (you need to scroll down to the twin-gear section
and - [www.members.optushome.com.au]

Can anybody throw any light on this and help me decide? Is there anybody there who has used both of these juicers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Juicer??? - Confusion
Date: August 17, 2007 08:10AM

And some people claim that the Hippocrates is endorsed by Brian Clement. Is this true?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:28PM

You have done a lot of research. I've owned the Samson Ultra, similar to the Hippocrates twin-gear, and found the gears too small for 'serious' juicing. If all you did was Wheatgrass with it, it would be fine. I've owned a GreenLife twin-gear (similar to the GreenStar). I didn't enjoy using it or cleaning it.
My favorite juicer is the Oscar Vitalmax in your Tests. It's called the Omega 8003 here in the U.S. I use mine for Celery Juice and Watermelon Rind Juice. It would make a good juicer if you had to have only One......WY

Date: August 17, 2007 02:34PM

Thanks Wheatgrass Yogi

I take it from your name that you also use the Oscar for Wheatgrass - does it perform well on that too? I have also seen this juicer reccommended in reviews.

The thing that makes it difficult to choose is that so many people have so many different ideas about which is the best juicer, and these ideas usually include pointing out the terrible flaws in all the other juicers. So I have seen lots of positive comments and lots of negative comments about lots of different juicers, and am not really much better off than when I didn't know anything at all..... Sadly, there are no stores anywhere near me where I could go and see the different models.

Anyone got any ideas about how to navigate all this conflicting information????

I have seen this phrase 'serious juicing' a few times. What does it mean? Does it refer to quantity, or something else?

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 17, 2007 03:29PM

avoid the mini size twin gears they overheat and are not of the quality that the greenstar is.

the omega is weak in doing anything but grasses and leafy stuff. they use a toxic chrome plating process which is injurous to the enviornment also. i have heard many countries are outlawing that process for ecological reasons. evan besides that .... the omega is a limited juicer..you will need two different machines if you choose to juice other things like carrots etc.

best bet is the greenstar which is regged and does almost everything with ease.

the clean up is simple and takes me and many others who have commented to me... a very short time to clean the machine(about 3 minutes).

of course lazy people and overly meticulous ones will make the job into something of a chore. green star is easy to clean.

i hope this helps you to make your decision.

juicin' john

Date: August 17, 2007 04:16PM

serious juicing is basically relating to a person who has made a commitment to juice frequently. it also indicates a desire to explore a wide variety of possiblities by trying all sorts of fruits, veggies, grasses, herbs and evan wild plants.

greenstar opened the door for a person to do this with one sturdy,rugged machine. prior to greenstar peol[ple were severly limited to what they could juice with any one machine. greenstar is actually an historical "landmark achievement" in the history of juicing technology.

greenstar facilitates serious juicing. don't be fooled by the small sizes twin gear imitations. the greenstar will pay for itself over a period of time based on the amount of extra juice it squeezes out of the produce you buy.

make the correct choice the first time and you will have no future regrets and additional expenses.

juicin' john

Date: August 17, 2007 05:36PM

Thanks Jucin' John

The Greenstar certainly looks sturdy, and it seems from this site that a lot of people are very happy with it.

I am only worried because I have read claims all over the internet that although it has stamina and is easier to clean, the juice itself is frothy (especially Wheatgrass), it yields less juice than the Oscar or Hippocrates and it cloggs up more often.

Problem is, I don't know whether these claims (or their opposites, claiming that the Hippocrates is a lightweight immitation) are marketting ploys or people's genuine findings from using the juicers.

Murchants that I have spoken to generally tell me that there is no difference between any of the twin gear juicers and they all do an equally good job.

Has anyone else found such difficulties choosing a juicer?? Any success stories, or disaster stories???

Date: August 17, 2007 08:04PM

i have used both the mini sized and the full sized and i can tell you that the mini is a "joke" compared to the full sized. evan if brian clement,the so called health guru, says so or not.

proof of the extraction is feeling the pulp.

the greenstar is "bone dry" and there is no doubt as to its fullness of extracted juice. i have not had any problems with the machine clogging up on greens or wheatgrass..soft fruits will clog it up...including tomatoes but that is also the case with all other juicers except the norwalk and the k and k which use a "hydrulic compression chamber with cloth bags" method. centrifugal machines are totally wasteful.. especially the pulp ejecting types.

all others..including the minis and the omega(oskar) still have a slightly wetter feel to the pulp.

a little trick i have learned from my greenstar use is that when you are finished juicing whatever it may be ...there is still a small remnant of unsqueezed pulp inside of the juicing chamber. to get that juice ...simply take some of the pulp and push it through with the wooden plunder until the remaining pulp isw squeezed out of the machine. i never use the plastic plunger.

i have never found the frothiness which you mention to be much of an issue. if you stir the juice after juicing is completed...alot of the so called frothiness breaks down into juice and the remaining is easily consumed. some people evan enjoy spooning it and eating it ..i simply use a straw and it sucks up in a few seconds.

the mini units ,as i sid in another post, have not a fan and will heat up and shut down very fast in comparison to the greenstar.

perhaps you are looking for someone to hold your hand as you make your decison....sorry i cannot do that for you....you must learn form you own sucesses or failures.

good luck to you in your juice purchasing adventure!

juicin' john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 17, 2007 10:15PM

Guyshahar said:
Thanks Wheatgrass Yogi,
I take it from your name that you also use the Oscar for Wheatgrass - does it perform well on that too?

No, I have a Wheateena Green Lable that I use only for Wheatgrass Juice. It's a twice a day deal with me and has become a Religious experience as well as a juicing.
I don't claim to be the Best, but the Omega 8003 works for me when I juice Celery and Watermelon Rind. I use an Omega 4000 (centrifugal) for Carrot Juice even though there is some lost nutrition and more oxidation. I give up a little for the convenience of easy juicing. Maybe I'm Lazy as JJ says......WY

Date: August 18, 2007 08:58AM

Thank you both for your advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables