Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamix keeps heating up my smoothies
Posted by: ezrac3isb ()
Date: August 23, 2007 04:13PM

Hi there,

Question for you.. Every time I put nuts or seeds in the blender, my vitamix motor is heating up (overheating?) and the smoothie gets hot. The juice is not scalding, but I wonder if the heat is killing them enzymes, and if there are any good techniques to keeping the blender cool?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamix keeps heating up my smoothies
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 23, 2007 04:39PM

I've heard of some people adding ice, instead of water, before blending.....WY

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: August 23, 2007 05:19PM

i keep everything refrigerated, including water, and blend for minimal time. ice cubes are a good idea, or frozen fruit, if you like...

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 24, 2007 05:59AM

I have only an ancient, very uncool osterizer and I thought the reason it heated my smoothies was because it sucked and cost 15 dollars second hand from a friend several years ago, but sounds like you can pay a lot and still wind up with warm smoothies.

Good to know.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 24, 2007 06:11PM

its kinda funny on one hand because i remembr advertisments years ago when the vitamix touted the benefits of blending soups right in the container withuot having to use a stove ... lol looks like they took a bad design concept and turned it into a positive (for them) .. not so positive for us not wanting things heated up winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 24, 2007 09:26PM

To make soup in a Vita-Mix, it has to be on high-speed for 3 to 5 minutes. A typical blended meal shouldn't take more than a few seconds, and won't get hot at all. If your blending is getting hot, I'd say look at your 'method' rather than at the machine......WY

Date: August 24, 2007 09:33PM

that m ight be it too Yogi .. i use my vita mix rather quickly for making my worms food .. and to touch it ..it never seems to be warm or certainly not hot smiling smiley again i only toss things in for maybe 15-20 seconds at the *most* smiling smiley

Date: August 25, 2007 01:53AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To make soup in a Vita-Mix, it has to be on
> high-speed for 3 to 5 minutes. A typical blended
> meal shouldn't take more than a few seconds, and
> won't get hot at all. If your blending is getting
> hot, I'd say look at your 'method' rather than at
> the machine......WY

That's good advice, I'll try blending for shorter periods and see how that affects the temperature of the smoothies.. thank you

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 25, 2007 04:02AM

it just dawned on me today that green star is a better tool for making the combinations of food with the blending concept.

that is to use the homogenizing blank and let the pulp remain with the juice.

no heating up, no enzyme destructive high rpm's, and no dilution of flavor by having to add water and ice.

vita mix is basically a rip off....most people could do most of their stuff with a regular blender and the greenstar with their homogenizing blank.

in some case the vitamix would be appropriate ...but for the average person the expense is unwarranted.

by the way vita mix has ruthlessly misled many new and uneducated people into thinking that " juice with fiber" is better.... and needed by the body.

juice by definition is the separation of juice and fiber....duhhhh
fiber slows down the digestive time enormously...that is why the cancer clinics who use juicing as a healing modality recommend to strain the juice of all fiber before consuming.

vita mix has been confusing alot of people for many years and charging folks alot of money for their so called juicer which is not a juicer...period.

i resent such dishonesty and misleading of innocent people. it just isn't very nice.

"high end blender" is the category of the vita mix product and those who need such a product can now find other competing brand of high end blenders which are not disguised as "juicers" with glitzy marketing tactics.

just my opinion.

juicin' john

Date: August 25, 2007 05:05AM

i thought juice with fiber was soup lol

not juice tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: August 25, 2007 02:32PM

i like my smoothies silky smooth and frothy, which takes extra blending time. ok, yes, this could increase oxidation and all...
my l'equip never blended silky smoothies....
my cheapy domestic does, but requires more water/liquid than a power blender

Date: August 26, 2007 03:20AM

Vitamix does me very well over all. I can't afford the amount of produce it takes to do multiple juices perday. A whole foods smoothie fills me up for several hours and provides everything available from the fruit, for less money than a pure juice diet.

Also, I tried blending the drinks for less time today and it was the perfect temperature/consistency. Thanks again WY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables