Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Boutenko's GREEN SMOOTHIES- anyone doing this?
Posted by: zspencer ()
Date: September 04, 2007 09:04PM

I just saw Tonya Zavasta last Friday and loved her! She served Victoria Boutenko's 'green soup'/ a green smoothie of mango and swiss chard-- yummy! I couldn't believe how awesome the taste was. I plan to do a smoothie for 30 days and just read Victoria's 'Green For Life' book.

Anyone else doing Green Smoothies and getting great results? I'd love to hear details/ recipes/ favorite tips/ quantities per day?

thanks,
Z Spencer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boutenko's GREEN SMOOTHIES- anyone doing this?
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 04, 2007 10:31PM

I just finished her book "Green For Life" and started making green smoothies.

I'm currently drinking 3 green smoothies per day as part of my "high" raw diet. They are so incredibly delicious and filling. I love the idea of increasing my greens through smoothies.

I'm giving myself a month before I report my results.

Posted by: uriyurman ()
Date: September 05, 2007 11:15PM

I'm currently eating (not drinking) 1-3 green smoothies (700ml each) every day.
I live in a very soil-less city, so I buy most of my greens.
at the moment, I'm using mostly parsley and romaine lettuce. Sometimes I add some wild edible leaves like lambsq', malva and purslane.

Uri,
Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: September 07, 2007 11:58AM

i've been doing atleast 1 green smoothie daily foe quite a while. i just finished reading green for life too. but i add flax seeds and superfoods to my smoothies. i feel that water fruit and greens isn't enough to keep me going for long.

Posted by: lovebird ()
Date: September 07, 2007 09:41PM

Thanks for starting this thread! I read Green for Life a few weeks ago and started the smoothies right away and I ordered a Blendtec blender at the same time.
All I can say is ... WOW.
I was high raw for a couple months before starting the smoothies. I did not get many greens because I thought of them as inedible in raw form. I had positive health changes eating raw, but I felt a noticeable improvement when I added the green smoothies.
Immediately I experienced waking up before the alarm, refreshed, and a much lower craving for sweets and junk food. I need less calories too. Adding green smoothies rounds out my raw diet. Raw really works for me now.

I am drinking 1 to 2 pints a day. At first I used baby collard leaves but these upset my stomach some. Kale did the same. So I have taken a step back and the perfect thing for me now is 1/2 basil from my garden, and 1/2 spinach. I weighed them and it is only about 3 ounces even though it seems like a lot in the blender. My goal is to increase this and then be able to have a larger variety of greens.

When I need it to taste really good I add nut milk and my typical fruit smoothie fruits in frozen form: banana, peach, strawberry. Sometimes I feel like one that is not so icey and I just add water with apple and grapes, or something like that. One time I made a 'savory' smoothie but have not thought about doing it again.

Let us know how it is going for you!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 08, 2007 02:05PM

All your posts motivated me to buy Victoria Boutenko's book "Green for Life", where she recommends a Quart of Green Smoothies everyday. She got the idea from the Chimpanzee diet of about approx. half Fruit and half Greens. The typical Raw-Foodist eats only a small amount of Greens.
Boutenko mentions that she couldn't drink Wheatgrass Juice until she started having Green Smoothies on a regular basis.
A whole chapter is devoted to Dr. Ann Wigmore, who, as many of you know, popularized Wheatgrass Juice.......WY
P.S. I ordered the book from Amazon.com. It was fast service at a reasonable price.

Date: September 09, 2007 03:00PM

Hi WY!
I also wanted to mention how drinking green smoothies on a daily basis really simplified things for me as a new raw foodist (my 3 month anniversary is this Wednesday). I spend less time searching for more to eat and I don't feel as pressed to make more elaborate dishes to fulfill my longings. This means less mental energy figuring out what to make and less time and mess in the kitchen. It all feels simpler. That means I don't get pulled into eating cooked/processed food as often. And I just feel so good about doing what I know is a good thing but didn't do: eat greens. Today I tried 1/2 basil with 1/2 spearmint and really enjoyed it.

I still juice collards and wheatgrass, along with other vegetables. And I like to juice apples and use it to make a green smoothie.

Date: September 09, 2007 03:49PM

Lovebird....I like simple too. I also like a clean refrigerator, so I'm going to make my Green Smoothies from pre-packaged, Organic Greens. My local stores have a good selection. If I wanted to buy bunched organic greens, I'd have to drive about 70 miles to Tampa, round trip.
I've seen other posts including Apples in smoothies, like you do. I'm probably going to need a sweetener too, in addition to the greens, carrot, celery, and maybe cucumber.....WY

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 10, 2007 11:16PM

I've been enjoying green smoothies ever since I've begun eating raw which admittedly isn't that long. I first tried Victoria's recipe for a pear/parsley smoothie and it was excellent! Since then I've tired both kale & spinach along with some fresh fruit to make the most delicious smoothies. Again, I've not been on this "eating for life" program (NOT diet) all that long but I believe I can tell a difference in the way I feel, sleep, and awaken refreshed and in a good mood.

Am about to take delivery one some flashed frozen wheatgrass as well per the "Just Wheatgrass" post. Can't wait.

Try a green smoothie if you're on the fence. You'll love them!

Regards,

David

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:38PM

Dave - did you buy the Evergreen wheatgrass, which is grown as naturally as possible?

Date: September 13, 2007 02:17PM

There are a couple things from Green for Life that I wonder about and would love to hear some of your thoughts:

1) Victoria recommends 70 grams of fiber a day. I have looked up the fiber content of all kinds of foods, and the ones that seem to have the most are legumes, having about 9 grams per cup. Fruits and vegetables are notably less. How in the world would you get 70 grams of fiber drinking greens smoothies?!?! I calculated it takes over 15 cups of spinach to make 70 grams!

2) Victoria mentions Dr. Mosseri who used to recommend all water fasts, but then changed to a couple days of water only and then 1 pound of fruit and 1 pound of vegetables a day until elimination is complete. Those on this program get brown or black gunk on their tongue. Yuck! Has anyone seen this before?

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:38PM

rosemary Wrote:
and superfoods to
> my smoothies. i

Hi rosemary, which superfoods do you add? goji, salba, maca.....?

Date: September 13, 2007 04:10PM

lovebird Wrote:

> 1) Victoria recommends 70 grams of fiber a day. I
> have looked up the fiber content of all kinds of
> foods, and the ones that seem to have the most are
> legumes, having about 9 grams per cup. Fruits and
> vegetables are notably less. How in the world
> would you get 70 grams of fiber drinking greens
> smoothies?!?! I calculated it takes over 15 cups
> of spinach to make 70 grams!

In her book, Victoria says that Chimpanzees consume 300 grams of Fiber per day, on average. That makes the 70 grams she recommends for us look pretty puny, doesn't it? I'm considering adding Flax Seeds to my Green Smoothies. I'm not sure what amount of Fiber is best. It probably varies with the individual......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables