Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm New & Juising vs Vita Mix Help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 08, 2007 11:36PM

First off Hi from Minnesota.

We are in the market for either a Juicer (Champion) or a Vita Mix.
For my daughter and her husband who are very pro active in organic eating.

Not sure which one to get.

I understand that juicing removes the pulp and blending uses the pulp.
I would think that blending would be better. As far a health benifit what would be better?
I was told that if you juice you have to be careful because juicing you will get more sugar. Well one of these people really have to watch there sugar intake.
ANy help would be appreicated.

I am glad I found this site

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm New & Juising vs Vita Mix Help
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 09, 2007 12:39AM

I'd say forget the Champion and buy the Vita-Mix, or other good blender. You can always buy a juicer later if they decide to include some raw juices into their diet. A blender is 'essential', whereas a juicer can wait......WY

Date: September 09, 2007 01:17AM

one point is they already have a blender.

Date: September 09, 2007 11:35PM

I would go with a power blender the VitaMix or BlendTec are good choices. If they already have a good blender then a juicer may be a better choice. Champion may not be the best buy.

Have a look at the Greenstar or Breville juice fountain depending on what they want to juice.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 10, 2007 12:49PM

....the high rpm blenders are often times not really needed since the average type of blender easily gets the job done on most things.

save the money on the high end blender and buy a good juicer.

juicin' john

Date: September 10, 2007 04:04PM

if sugar intake is a problem ...

simply avoid the carrots and other sweet juicables in large quantities..a few of that category would be ok and safe.

if you are of the mind set that "juice with the pulp is better"..... then you should do whatever you think is best.

jj

Date: September 11, 2007 03:26AM

not to open a can of worms but haveno idea which is best. That is why I asked.
ALso what do they stay away from as far as too much sugar/

If going for a juicer can you sug a good qualitu one. SOme say the Chapion is more than they need and get a leqip (spelling ) mini.
Any help would be appreciated

Posted by: frances ()
Date: September 11, 2007 01:07PM

If you're on the fence between buying a pricey blender or an equally pricey juicer, you can try working with a less expensive juicer for a while along with the less expensive blender you likely already have.

This manual juicer goes or $45+shipping, and can manage most juicing tasks including wheat grass. I've used mine successfully for greens, carrots, beets, watermelon, wheat grass, etc... and have had good luck. It's not as fast as an automatic machine, and it doesn't have the homogenizing "blank" that can be so useful for making nut butters or iced banana cream. It's light weight and I'm also not sure it'll last as long as a heavier machine, so I figure if I use mine into the ground then I'll know it's time to buy a more expensive juicer.

[sproutpeople.com]
[www.877myjuicer.com]

Date: September 11, 2007 01:20PM

we have it narrowed down to 3 juicers and I sure would like soem help deciding

Champion $199, Lequip model # 110.5 $99.00., Omega 8003 $229.00

Please help there is $ difference

Date: September 11, 2007 02:36PM

Of the 3 you've selected, the Omega 8003 is far Superior. It'll juice everything, whereas the Champion and L'Equip are limited.......WY

Date: September 11, 2007 04:08PM

carrots and apples are the two i had in mind when dreferring to the sugar problem. beets are in that categoriy ...but rarely des anyone over use them.

the champion is a dinosaur and will not do the kinda stuff that is non-sugary...such as greens and herbs.

the l'equip is very inexpensive but it wastes alot of juice and also will not do the greens and other heathy stuff we need.

the omega is not bad if you are stuck between a rock and a hardplace regarding the amount you can afford to pay. you will notice when operating it, that it "struggles" to get the job done

green star in comparison, breezes through almost anything you ask it to do...it is designed to last a lifetime with minor part replacements here and there(not frequently). it is low rpm ...and that means less sttress on the valuble and delicate nutritional molecules called enzymes.

the green star 1000 is the basic model which willl juice and homogenize. homogenizing is when the fruit or vegetable is pulverized in the twin gear mechanism and the juice and pulp comeout together. it recently occured to me that the homogenizing concept and usage, as pertains to the greenstar can substitute for the high speed and "having to add water" blending which is most oftenly being done with blenders.

my opinion is that the "low rpm" and "no watering down" concept is definietly superior to blending...but it requires a few minutes of extra work. blending is ok but homogenizing is technically speaking a notch above.

there is whole lot of extra value in a greenstar when compared to the omega 3000...on a per dollar basis what you get is maximized with the greenstar.

one more thing..if you don't use it the value drops significantly.

juicin' john

Date: September 12, 2007 08:05PM

I need to keep it under $200 so what would you suggest?

Date: September 12, 2007 10:44PM

instead of buying less than the best... which in my case i always end up having regrets about not going the extra, ...let them in on what you are trying to do for them and ask them if they would be willing to pitch in the extra amount of money needed to buy the best.

i would feel bad about giving a recommendation for an el cheapo which is basically what you get for a $200 and under for a juicer. if you are going cheap ...then go cheap all the way down to a walmart $29 hamilton beach or whatever they have in the low end juicer category.

hope my suggestion helps.

juicin' john

Date: September 13, 2007 12:50AM

I talked to them as you suggested.

Here is the there views:
They are living better than they use to.
However, not willing to go raw. Just want better intake.

They don't eat red meat basically chicken and vegtables.

So they are interrested in either a juicer ( Juice Fountain or the E'quip mini or Juiceman or Jack Lalanne. or a Vita Mix .

So what do you suggest?

Date: September 13, 2007 01:59AM

oops forgot that they really want to juice/blend juices and some vegetables.

Date: September 13, 2007 02:06AM

andersonsrus.....I'd say 'forget it' and let them make their own decision. They're probably not going to use what you buy them anyway......WY

Date: September 13, 2007 09:43PM

considerinf all the info you have given about where they are at with what they are doing....i think that the vita mix in your list would probably give them the most pleasure. the juicers you have chosen are not too good.

good luck!

jj

Date: September 14, 2007 01:38AM

But they want a juicer so out of the list I gave you which one you you suggest.
They said they already have a blender and want a juicer.

Date: September 14, 2007 05:48AM

Wheatgrass Yogi, that was Rude of you to suggest that the Andersons don't know what they want to do. I think an apology is in order from you.....WY

Date: September 14, 2007 03:59PM

here is the deal...

most people never make use of something that theya re not motivated to obtain through their own efforts. i've watch it happen over and over with all sorts of items especially those pertaining to health.

so....here is what i would suggest:

buy the cheapest juicer you can find...at that leval they are all basically the same. so you can actually save money and test the water at the same time...that is you can let them find out if they like juicing and will be using the machine and eventually come the the conclusion of ...hey i wonder what the next step up in juicer quality is?

at that point you have quslified their tru interest in juicing and proceed accordingly.

back to the original point ....all of the juicers you have chosen are in the same relative category...write each name on a piece of paper and "drop it into a hat" ...close you eyes and reach into the hat and pull one out...

you can also do the who wins the best outta three approach and if you havent go a winner...put those three ina hat repeat the the process.

alas..you guess is probably better than mine.

juicin' john

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 14, 2007 04:55PM

hehe as ussual you both bring up some good points

Yogi i dont think it was rude at all to say that .. in fact its true .. alot of people who arent motivated to buy something themselves after putting in time to research something probably arent going to use the *gift* as much as the intentions were good

john gives good advice .. go cheap untill they know for sure they are going to use it

i spent 50$ on a cheap juicer years ago used it 2-3 times and it sat under my cupboard for YEARS lol .. along with the breadmaker, vertical rotisserie, ronco dehydrator and many more late night credit card sucker purchases tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables