Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buying a blender (vita-mix?)
Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: September 12, 2007 01:51PM

I just moved out on my own about 2 weeks ago. Right now I just have a personal blender, but I've recently started making green smoothies. This is very difficult to do with just a personal blender! I want to buy a large blender that will last me a while, because I will be using it every day. I've heard good things about the vita-mix, but it is quite a lot of money for a college student to be spending on, well, a blender >_<

So, what does everyone think? In one of the books I'm reading, the author mentions that she's had her vita-mix for 11 years, and it's still working. Should I just suck it up and shell out the cash now, or buy a less expensive blender that might burn out quickly?

ALSO, on the vita-mix website it mentions that it "cooks soup in 4 minutes", or something to that effect... Can someone explain this to me? Will it cook my green smoothies, haha?!?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a blender (vita-mix?)
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 12, 2007 04:20PM

I'd recommend a Power Blender of 2 or more HP. I use a Vita-Prep 3 now, but used a Vita-Mix 5000 for many, many years.
Don't worry about your Green Smoothies overheating. If blended properly, they only take a few seconds, whereas making Soup with it would take 3 to 5 minutes......WY

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 12, 2007 04:32PM

you can buy a second hand blender which should last a long time at the local thrift store for about $10 or less. if you burn it out in no time at all...then you qualify for $300 vitamix investment!

save you money and buy organic produce instead.

juicin' john

Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:10PM

Thanks for the tips! This is all so very helpful to raw newbies like me smiling smiley

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:31PM

Yeah I'd go with the second hand one too - it'll get you in the groove of blending and you'll save a ton (taxes & warranty - 'hidden' costs).

I'm still using an old second hand Osterizer and I don't think the blades are very sharp anymore, but it works decently.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 02, 2007 01:36PM

It seems vita-mix is the overall blender choice. We burned out 1 blender, got a bullet which if great for small stuff, smoothies on the run.

So my question is I found a 3600 on craigslist, in the box for $75. But it looks like they've been making the 3600 for many moons, so are they indestructible that it doesn't matter how old as long as it's still running? Or is there a "shelf-life" on them? And how's that for a price? Newbie thanking you in advance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables