Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Perfecting the Green Smoothie
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 26, 2007 09:58AM

pampam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still have not tried a green smoothie yet I tried one time
> and put some dulse in it and I didnt like the taste
> of dulse I think that would be an aquired taste.
> I guess I will have to just dive in and give it a
> try. Dulse is too salty for me, even though I like it. I'd agree with you to just 'dive in'. Report back here what ingredients you like in your Green Smoothies.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 26, 2007 10:14PM

Hi Henry,

So sorry to hear of your back troubles on the other thread you started. I messed up my low back a few years ago doing heavy squats at the gym and can truly sympathize. As for being an old man, I'll have none of that! From what I can see on this board, you're full of life! I often Stairmaster with an 85 year young fellow at 24 Hr Fitness who's had both of his knees replaced and he consistently kicks my backside!

To add to this thread I have two points to make.

First, relative to the wonders of green smoothies I have one every morning about an hour after I've had two cubes of the Dynamic Greens wheatgrass. My new favorite vegetable is kale! Never have had it before in my fortysomething years and I love the stuff. Put it in whole and never look back. I also commonly add a nice size handful of baby spinach to my smoothie. I'll also combine with the greens the following fruits: mangoes, apples, pears, and frozen bananas/strawberries/blueberries. Heck, a few times I've even added a diced section of sweet potato (uncooked, of course). With regard to green smoothies, I do different things each day. Use whatever thrills you, or whatever you have on hand. Go crazy and have fun!

You'll likely admonish me over this next comment but I specifically asked if we could add the frozen cubes of wheatgrass to smoothies and the lady who took my order did NOT recommend it. I can't recall her reasoning but she wasn't a proponent of adding the frozen cubes to any smoothie. I'm just passing on what I learned kind sir...

Still waiting on your review of the Dynamic Greens wheatgrass. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Best of health,

David

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 10:19PM by diamond dave.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 27, 2007 12:06AM

Yes I am waiting for that review, wheatgrass yogi.
Well, I tries my first green smoothie. I have very bad hurtin teeth and can't chew my foods so well so I am forced to have my salad blended.

I put some spinach and dandilion greens in the blender with a mango and tossed a half of a banana in to give it body. It was real good. I found vicktoria bouchenikos web page and read a brief story on her smoothie I also found a blog about a woman who drank only green smoothies for five monthes. I am sold on the Idea. Ann Wigmore had a recipe for energy soup which is about the same thing. So here I go. I will need all the energy when I start my job.

Yogi, I am so sory to hear you are in pain. I will send you a prayer for a healing. Hope you the best of health.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 27, 2007 01:08PM

The Vita Mix uses dull blades. They are not supposed to be sharp.

Date: September 27, 2007 03:06PM

VeganLife Wrote:
> The Vita Mix uses dull blades. They are not
> supposed to be sharp. Very astute!! I just arrived at that conclusion yesterday after examining 3 sets of Vita-Mix baldes. I'm not going to worry about sharp blades because my Vita-Prep 3 is doing a better job than I expected with the dull blades.
And Yes, Smoothies are only prepared in a blender and the more power the better.....WY

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 27, 2007 06:46PM

I was just wondering if anyone worries about making sure they rotate through different greens in their smoothies so as to not consume too much of any one toxin, like oxalic acid. I remember reading that the Boutenko's first used kale everyday in their green smoothies and they thought it was the answer to everything, but then they started not doing so well healthwise (I can't remember the symptoms). So now they make sure they rotate through the greens. Here is an article that lists the greens they go through and the logic behind rotating - [www.rawbc.org].

Also, I went on a wild food foraging event one time and one of the experts mentioned that the thing to remember is that there is no one perfect food that you can eat all the time. All food in the wild has different toxins and they are all somewhere on a scale - they are either totally poisonous (a little would kill us), or we can eat a lot of it without getting sick, or somewhere in between. He said most food is inbetween - it's good for us but we can't subsist on that one food.

Anyway, I just was interested in people's thoughts on this.

Date: September 28, 2007 03:34AM

Thanks karen for that bit of info.

today I juiced a grapefruit and blended a handfull of parsely, dandiliongreens and kale. It tasted very green with a tang of the grapefruit.

Later I had a pear with about five strawberries and lots of spinach. The strawberrie and spinach is a good combo. I soved that one.

Date: September 28, 2007 03:38PM

Sounds like you are using a variety of greens, pampam, that's good! Too bad the variety available to us in the stores is pretty limited.

Date: September 29, 2007 12:15AM

We still have a farmers market on saturdays and I found a new veg store yum.

I made a spinach and strawberry smoothie but I got to creative and put some frozen kiwis in it that took away from the spinach and strawberrys.

later I had a avacado with curley kale and a banana and I threw in a couple of romain leaves for the heck of it. I put the juice of a lemon in it with some water. The lemon took over the flavor I suggest a more mild tasting fruit if you have to.

The green smoothies are giveing me loads of energy. I am not craving as much with so much more green food and I am not as hungry.

Date: September 29, 2007 04:18AM

I agree. I have been eating more green smoothies lately and they do help with the cravings. I think they help to make your body more alkaline and you crave the acidic foods less, even nuts.

Date: September 29, 2007 08:30AM

karennd Wrote:
> I agree. I have been eating more green smoothies
> lately and they do help with the cravings. I think
> they help to make your body more alkaline and you
> crave the acidic foods less, even nuts. I agree that Nuts are acid forming. However, I've ordered some nuts from
[www.NutsOnLine.com]
to add to my
Green Smoothies. I have been using Flax Seeds on a regular basis, and thought I'd try a small amount of some other forms of Fat. All the 'hype' about Omega 3 Fatty Acids has me wondering. Even my 87 year old Mother tells me how good Walnuts are for you. I also ordered some Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds......WY

Date: September 29, 2007 03:17PM

Omega 3s are very good for you, that's true, and I think a small amount of nuts are a good idea. But in the past I craved them too much and pigged out on them sometimes. Let us know how you like them in your smoothies.

Date: September 29, 2007 04:44PM

karennd Wrote:
> Omega 3s are very good for you, that's true, and I
> think a small amount of nuts are a good idea. But
> in the past I craved them too much and pigged out
> on them sometimes. Tell me about it. I remember years ago, when I ate nuts, buying some in Bulk, and eating the whole bag on the way home.Let us know how you like them in your smoothies. I plan to use 2 Walnuts, when they come from NutsOnLine.com, in a smoothie. Gotta find my nutcracker now......WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2007 04:51PM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 29, 2007 10:31PM

roxeli says:

<<Here it is! The most perfect smoothie I've made so far. Damn near orgasmic, it was that good. Better than sex!!! (or maybe I'm just bored with my husband) LOL Seriously though, try this one. It's incredibly simple but good.

3 ripe bananas
3 oranges
1 cup raspberries
baby spinach

(You do not need to add water when you use oranges.)
>>

roxeli
could it have been that u were just verrry hungry??
LOL

just kidding..
i'm glad that u liked your smoothie smiling smiley

Date: September 30, 2007 04:12AM

today I had a kale and rasberry ,banana smoothie
I really am enjoying the smoothie. I feel like I am getting a wide variety of greens and I am feeling more satisfied with foods. perhaps I am having more calories or something. I had some ground flax and ground cashews with a squeeze of flax oil and a tad bit of honey and a blended apple it was'nt a smoothie but it was real tasty oh I also added some cinnamon in it. a real tasty treat

Date: September 30, 2007 05:13AM

WY, that's a good plan. 2 walnuts per smoothie and getting them in the shell is the best. They'll be sure to be truly raw that way.

Date: October 01, 2007 05:17AM

I had a mango, banana, kale, romaine lettuce with some blueberries
Not a real fantastic smoothie

Date: October 01, 2007 05:28AM

pampam Wrote:
> I had a mango, banana, kale, romaine lettuce with
> some blueberries
> Not a real fantastic smoothie That's quite a bit of Fruit for a Green Smoothie. I'm trying something new by not putting any Fruit in my smoothies, but including Protein and Fat in the form of nuts and seeds. Fat and Fruit don't go together....WY

Date: October 02, 2007 03:18PM

I do agree that was to much fruit in a green smoothie. Yesterday I did not have any green smoothie and I felt the difference I feel much better with a green smoothie than without.
What do you put in your smoothies wheat grass yogi??????

Date: October 02, 2007 09:05PM

this mornings green smoothie i put a pear in because it needed to be used then I had some curly kale and other greens that also needed to be used so I blended it all and had a very green drink. I really liked the green flavor much better than the fruity ones. I am going to try to make more green smoothies from now on. I also feel more energetic lately since having the green smoothies. They have been making a difference with me. I am pretty much forced to drink my greens due to my teeth. But I am glad now to have been trying the green smoothies.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: October 09, 2007 01:34AM

I know we really don't need another post about trying to perfect the green smoothie but I wanted to share what I made and it doesn't have your standard sweet fruits in it. Smoothie included:

1/2 English cucumber
1/2-3/4 cup broccoli florets
1 small tomato
2(?) cups kale (not sure how much really - a few handfuls)
1/2 avocado (next time I would use 1/4)
water to desired consistency

I had this for dinner - VERY YUMMY! And, I am surprised my cheap blender handled it although I blended half first and then added the rest together and blended more.

Patty

Date: October 09, 2007 04:04PM

I miss you wheat grass yogi. If you are out there please come back

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 13, 2007 01:36AM

waves to the yogi and smiles !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 17, 2007 03:42AM

well the green smoothie was short lived for me. I hope to start it up again I think there is something to it in health bennifits.

Come back wheat grass yogi

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables