Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guerilla wellfare...basic tenets
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 12, 2007 05:11PM

get the most powerful weapon you can get. ("greenstar ak45"winking smiley

never waste your ammo on ripoff garbage.

stake out all the free stuff in you surrounding area.

grow a garden ..evan if it is small and in your front yard.(ignore politely the comments your jealous neighbors may have)

learn how to harvest wild grasses and herbs that have high mineral and nutient value.

check local dumpsters at the supermarket if they arent locked.

learn how to sprout and grow your own wheat grass.

help your fellow guerilla wellfare brothers and sisters learn the trade.

abandon your ego at everypossible opportunity in favor of humbleness and truth.

realize that when you feel great you can share alot of love with all of creation.

well... that's a pretty good start...looking forward to any new additions to the list.

juicin'john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guerilla wellfare...basic tenets
Date: September 12, 2007 05:15PM

new additon.....

stay in shape so you can climb trees and jump fences.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 12, 2007 06:42PM

I like your idea of harvesting the Wild Grasses. I'll 'pass' on checking the local Dumpsters.....WY

Date: September 12, 2007 10:52PM

yogi....i have to agree that the dumpster routine is really at the extreme end of guerilla tactics ...but it may be helpful to someone, someday... so i thought i would toss that in.

one of the most valuable experiences a person can have in this life is to experience true hunger. if that happens... they never forget it and will have a very sincere and intense appreciation for the food they are blessed with. the blazaye habit of taking one bite and casually throwing the rest of the meal in the garbage would not likely exist for someone who has experienced true hunger.

i have had an interesting life so far.

juicin' john

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:22AM

Hey jj - I'm working on it

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 14, 2007 05:00PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> stake out all the free stuff in you surrounding
> area.

and get yourself some good stakeout music !

>
> grow a garden ..evan if it is small and in your
> front yard.(ignore politely the comments your
> jealous neighbors may have)

i really miss seeing those front yard gardens .. *sigh* smiling smiley i think next year i might do this as my backyard has less light and has been doggy'd lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 05:00PM by Jgunn.

Date: September 14, 2007 05:01PM

oh btw ..if i do raid someones tree without permission (they maybe away at different hours)

i do leave a portion of my booty on their front stoop in a bag or box with a thank you smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2007 10:55PM

apples are big time available to guerillameisters right now.

i just made a big pitcher of:

apple
ginger
lime

from my recent guerilla wellfare exploitations.

wow is it good!!

jj

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 15, 2007 06:54PM

sounds like

APPLeOixtation!!

the JJ man has thus spoketh

guerrillameister go go GOOOO....

ZOOOMMMMMM..... ( sounds of my greenstar faithfully squeaking tresses of parsley, boat leaves of dandelions, crinkel snowflaked parsley.... its a good life, for a green guerrilla meistress.... )

today!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 16, 2007 11:12PM

awesome

Date: September 17, 2007 04:36PM

gueilla harvested apples
freshly pick spearmint leaves
ginger
and.....cinnamon

jj

Date: September 19, 2007 01:33PM

an interesting link.....

[earthclinic.com]

jj

Date: September 19, 2007 03:39PM

very cool interesting link JJ thank you smiling smiley !

Date: September 23, 2007 04:00PM

hehe i gleaned this weekend !! grinning smiley 2 milk crates of cucumbers !! scorrrrrrrrre !!

Gleaning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Interested in contributing to Wikipedia? •Jump to: navigation, search

The Gleaners. Jean-François Millet. 1857Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been mechanically harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest. In some ancient cultures, gleaning was promoted by requiring farmers not to reap all the way to the edges of a field, but to leave some for the poor and the stranger (Lev. 19:9–10.). Often gleaning is practiced by humanitarian groups such as the U.S.'s nationwide gleaning ministry of the Society of St. Andrew, which not only gather the crops but then distribute the gleaned food to the poor and hungry.

When people glean and distribute food, they put themselves at some legal risk. In the U.S., a law signed in 1996 (The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act) promotes food recovery by limiting the liability of donors to instances of gross negligence or intentional misconduct. In the Soviet Union gleaning was punished with death or 10 years of forced labor since August 7, 1932.[1]

Food Salvage programs work within the legal definitions of the Good Samaritan Act to consistently deliver surplus food from restaurants and dining facilities to emergency food centers.

Gleaning is represented in the painting Les Glaneuses (1857) by Jean-François Millet.

Agnes Varda's 2000 documentary film "The Gleaners and I" explores gleaning from the perspective of French rural people

Date: September 23, 2007 04:28PM

thought this was coolio's smiling smiley

How To: make a Feral Fruit Map
Written by Kirsten
Tuesday, 11 September 2007
Self seeded fruit trees in culverts, old orchards on abandoned sites, food trees hanging over the fence into the back laneway. It's all what is known as 'feral fruit' and it's one of the best, if unheralded, community resources an area has, whether you be in an inner-city suburb or out in the middle of nowhere.

A feral fruit map is a way of mapping the resources in your area, so that come late summer and autumn, many a happy weekend can be spent finding, picking and eating/processing the bounty of your local area. Free, local food. So good....

Early spring is a great time to figure out where all these feral fruit trees are, because early spring is blossom time. Take a walk or a drive around your area and this will become mightily apparent. And with these beacons of blossom, one can map out the feral fruit of one's area. All you need is a map, pen and paper, and your eyes.

A good way to approach your Feral Fruit Map for the year is to firstly get hold of a map of your area. A printout from google maps should do the trick in most cases. Or, of course, you could make one yourself. Then, mark off where all the blossoming trees are that you think might be food trees. Even if you're not sure what sort of fruit or otherwise edible substance the tree will yield. You can always cross that tree off the map later if you've mistaken a tree peony for a pear tree or something.

Mark the likely-looking trees with numbers on your map, and then at the base, or on the back, write down the numbers with any info that might be useful next to them. If you recognize the species from the flower, put that down. If you don't, put down the color of the flower. And put anything else down that might be relevant to future harvesting potential (might need a ladder, mad dog being very barky inside fence.. etc).

The point of this system is this: we all see fruit-trees flowering in spring. We seldom remember where they were by late summer, when everything is green and lush and the fruit is hard to see. So we don't bother hunting down this wonderful community resource when the time is right.

And that is your work done for the spring. Later in the piece you'll probably want to do a round-up of what trees have ended up fruiting, say in mid-summer. Lots of flowers do not mean lost of fruit necessarily, so checking is a good idea. Also, everything ripens at its own time, so from mid-summer on you may want to do a round of your map every two weeks or so. Lastly, the more feral fruit trees you find and put on your map, the better your chances are of getting a harvest. Self-seeded trees, old, un-renovated trees and even lovingly cared-for trees don't always bear much fruit, or yummy fruit, necessarily. It depends on the year and, to a degree, luck.

Lastly - a resource shared is a resource made real. So get others in on the act. This could be over a cup of tea, with you sticking your map in their face and imploring them to add to it, or perhaps putting your map online somewheres and inviting people to add to it (or to send you details of trees to add to it yourself). Of course there are a gazillion and one ways of sharing this information, but a couple of quick examples:

- find your area online at Google Maps and add the relevant map, at a usable scale, to 'My Maps'. You can then put placemarks, with notes, wherever you have found a tree onto that map. You can also share that maps URL with others. ...Example...

- post a map as a photo to a photosharing site like Flickr , and make the photo public. Allow people to add 'notes' to your picture, and each point selected on the photo becomes a reference to a tree. ...Example...

- collect emails and send around a word.doc file once a month with updated points.

If you're shy about contacting people directly to contribute, stick up a sign or two wherever is relevant (pole, community board) or just chalk the URL onto the pavement at various street corners. Printout a bunch of copies of the URL and a brief description, and letterbox your area, inviting people to add to it.

And if no-one else responds, hey, more feral fruit for you! Just don't get a tummy ache from eating too much autumn goodness when the time comes...

Date: September 23, 2007 04:42PM

hey check out this too !

i thought this was really neat

a website dedicated to mapping out areas of feral fruit trees in your neighborhood so anyone can pick

imagine if we all add to the resources! smiling smiley

check it out pretty nifty [www.fallenfruit.org]

im gonna start a fruit map of my area this week smiling smiley

i love their manifesto lol !

Quote:
A SPECTER is haunting our cities: barren landscapes with foliage and flowers, but nothing to eat. Fruit can grow almost anywhere, and can be harvested by everyone. Our cities are planted with frivolous and ugly landscaping, sad shrubs and neglected trees, whereas they should burst with ripe produce. Great sums of money are spent on young trees, water and maintenance. While these trees are beautiful, they could be healthy, fruitful and beautiful.

WE ASK all of you to petition your cities and towns to support community gardens and only plant fruit-bearing trees in public parks. Let our streets be lined with apples and pears! Demand that all parking lots be landscaped with fruit trees which provide shade, clean the air and feed the people.

FALLEN FRUIT is a mapping and manifesto for all the free fruit we can find. Every day there is food somewhere going to waste. We encourage you to find it, tend and harvest it. If you own property, plant food on your perimeter. Share with the world and the world will share with you. Barter, don't buy! Give things away! You have nothing to lose but your hunger!

Date: September 27, 2007 03:47AM

i like fruit tree manifestoes

i'm working on a parsley cilantro manifesto

stay tuned

veroniqueguerillameistressofraweseomeearth

Date: September 29, 2007 02:19PM

i
d like to make an amendment

Date: October 05, 2007 09:32PM

something to add

if you tell people you are going to come pick their fruit and clean up their lawn make sure you do it !

i was just at a place today with fruit trees and asparagus growing all over the place and the guy is plowing the whole works under because its too much mess to deal with and the people who say they will pick it never show up

*sigh*\

im going there this weekend to rescue 35 asparagus plants and a 4ft basil tree and numerous other plants and plant them out on the farm .. the apple trees will be cut down sadly hes gonna build a cement pad for his RV sad smiley

Date: October 13, 2007 01:38AM

i brought this up in another thread .... whatever happened to the Victory gardens

i really miss seeing those gardens out front of peoples houses .. dont get me wrong im no war era age but those gardens lived a long time out around some of the parts i grew up in

i think we should revive the victory garden !

not victory for war ...but for VICTORY over GOOD HEALTH !!

now readyyyyy ... settttttttt....GROW !! tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2007 01:38AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: wrenbrrd ()
Date: October 23, 2007 09:28PM

Awesome thoughts... I concur!

Aha, a fellow dumpster diver! Been houseless before (during the direct action years), & so did that out of necessity then. But you'll still find me, feet up in a sweet compost bin or dumpster behind a health food store & the like!

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 05:08PM

I love this thread! I love the fallen fruit website too, and I will be making a map for Spokane, Wa. Now these are my kinda folk!

Angie

Date: December 01, 2007 06:05PM

hi jgunn
what is avictory garden?
please enlighten me

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2008 02:35PM

Date: January 11, 2008 04:47PM

who needs a front yard full of perfectly manicured, sprayed grass?

why not have a front yard full of beautiful tasty organic grown fruits and veggies.

now that growing spaces are at a premium....it would make sense to use front yard for beauty and fuction.

victory garden is a wonderful beautiful idea.

lets get it going in times of peace and rename it....definitely an idea which can make a good contribution to a better world.

if a majority of people would care to build one ....can you imagine how much extra food the world would have.

wow.

jj

Date: January 12, 2008 04:53AM

a peace garden smiling smiley thas a nice thought smiling smiley

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:22PM

I love this thread too!

I would also mention that it is SO easy to harvest wild dandelion all over the U.S. And dandelion was a lifesaver for me when I was in a state with almost NO organic produce and I badly needed organic greens.

I wonder if the apartment owner/manager where I live would be agreeable to my planting herbs and foods in the tiny dirt islands in front of the street? (There is very little car traffic here as it is a very narrow street.)

Date: January 18, 2008 04:05AM

bumpety ump ump de bump etty doo dah

Date: January 19, 2008 08:57AM

avocadess .. just plant them and tell them that you will look afer the gardens fre of charge .. then plant to your hearts delight

no work for them ..

all benefit to you smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 19, 2008 01:37PM

I remember Victory Gardens. I can hear Winston Churchill now giving one of his uplifting speeches when things looked their worst for England during WWII. He said "Things are so Bad that I find it Inspiring" (loose translation). May we all apply this to our own lives.
I'm planning on growing some Milk Thistle in large pots just outside my back door. Does that count as a Victory Garden?......WY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables