Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicer help!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2007 12:21PM

We have finally decided to purchase a juicer over a Vita Mix.
We will basically use it for fruit with some vegetables.
$ is an issue and we have narrowed it to these.

L'eguip Mini, Brenville Juice Fountain, Jack Lalanne, & Juiceman

Any input wuld we apprecaited.
Saw some reviews on Discount Juicers.com but would like to know which you would buy and why and if any of these we should stay clear of.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2007 12:25PM by threepugs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicer help!!!
Posted by: moxiegretl ()
Date: September 13, 2007 06:38PM

I'm also looking at buying a new juicer and I've heard awesome things about the Champion Juicer - especially because it does veggies nicely and you can change out a blade easily to make smoothies and nut butters, etc.

Now obviously these cost a pretty penny, and I've had some luck on my local craigslist site for some at a really good price. Check out the craigslist in your area for a juicer and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:40PM

do not buy a juicer if your primary interest is in juicing fruits.

no machine does a good job on the greatest percentage of fruits. hard apples and hard pears are really the only two i can think of off hand. buy a blender and make fruit smoothies or eat them. most juicers fail at fruits and you will end up wasting alot of money with little return on fruits purchased for juicing.

hope this helps.

juicin' john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 14, 2007 09:14AM

I'd say a Blender is more important than a Juicer. A good blender is the Vita-Mix 5000. A good juicer is the Omega 8003......WY

Date: September 14, 2007 12:12PM

Hiya,
I am looking to purchase a good juicer...the top of the range ones are the masticating juicers I believe and/or the twin gears... which inc. the Green Star etc. which is popular here in UK...amongst all the others you hear of the hippocrates / sampson / champion omega 8003 etc. etc.
but they are alot more expensive.
The cheaper varieties & the ones in the high st. are I believe more often than not the centrifugal juicers...I have had a few of the cheaper makes & they blow up. But I know from experience that the Breville, which I still have & use at mo is good.
However the others are in a different league, as they oxidise the end result less, enzymes stay more entact, and more often they leave a drier pulp.They also have extra functions. But some better for veg /wheatgrass than soft fruit

As I cannot stretch to a twin gear at mo, I have come across a single gear which has the extra functions, and juices wheatgrass etc. which I want to include...May be relatively new? have found it in a few places, also at the recent Festival of life in London.. one of the stalls was showing it...
It's called the Compact Juicer, I believe, check it out on www.livingearth.co.uk, they have a juicer comparison chart (independant I think) which explains all the above!

Thirsty work!
Let me know what you think...and happy juicing!
All the best
Kalieye
I

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: September 15, 2007 01:22AM

I agree with J.J. juicing fruit is a waste. The odd glass of apple juice won't break your account but every day will be costly. Blending fruit is a much better idea.

For veg juicing the greenstar is good including leafy greens and wheatgrass. It is slower than centrifugal juicers but you get more juice and will save you money in the long run. The Greenstar is bad at juicing fruit as it gets clogged up.

The Breville juice fountain is a good centrifugal juicer it is faster than the greenstar but will give you less juice. Its also bad at leafy greens and wheatgrass.

It all depends on your preferences and priorities.

Good Luck

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 19, 2007 04:22PM

i personally and addicted to my omega 8003-

i juice kale, apples and carrots every morning in it.

since my dog is raw too, she eats the pulp with a raw egg.

nothing is wasted.

and spinach and apples and ginger

i can't eat veggies too well, they give me gas/indigestion
so i juice them

i don't own a blender- so my omega is my favorite device ever. better than my champion, which i turned in for it.

peace-

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:36PM

Somebody mentioned the Vitamix, so I wanted to mention the K-tec or Blend-tec blenders. I love mine.

Date: October 02, 2007 01:30PM

Mama Cass,
What do you like better about your Omega than the Champion?

I'm looking to upgrade from a Juiceman and want to do wheatgrass also.
I don't have a lot of counterspace so 1 machine would be nice, but if overall/long run it's beterr to have 2, I can.

And...I'm interested in what you're feeding your pup.

Date: October 05, 2007 03:01PM

I have a Champion juicer and it's a love/hate relationship. It's easy to use but heats the juice up-not hot but warm. I know I push through too fast but otherwise it takes me forever!

My husband just recently surprised me with a VitaMix 5000. Now that is an amazing machine! If I had to choose it would be really tough. I juice fast at least once a week to keep my RA under control but if I was 'normal' I'd just get the ViaMix and not bother with a juicer.

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: October 05, 2007 09:25PM

I have the Omega 8003, and I love it. It's the first and only juicer I've ever used, so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. smiling smiley

I've had it about 6 months and use it a lot for wheatgrass, some juice, and lately have been making patés with it. The pulp from juicing is very dry. I haven't tried nut butters, but from the way the patés have been turning out, it seems like it will work well. Oh, and I tried milling whole wheat one day, but stopped quickly because I didn't want to get the clear plastic parts all cloudy looking so soon. The flour that came out was quite nice though. It seems easy to clean to me (again, no other juicing experience to compare it with, though) and comes with a little cleaning brush that is very helpful.

I bought it from my naturopath - she sells only a small handful of items, the one she loves the most and are hard to find in our small-ish town. She's had hers for years and uses it pretty much daily and it's still going strong.

Just my 2¢

Emily

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables