Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm giving up Juicing
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 25, 2007 02:59AM

It is taking too much effort and energy for me to continue. Some of you may not know that I'm an old man with back pain (Sciatica). I'm going to be living on Green Smoothies and Water for a while, just to see if it makes any difference. I wonder how it feels to flush a human body with Green Sludge?
Putting all the ingredients into a blender cannister, adding a little water, and high-speed Blending to release all the Nutrients, just seems the way to go (for me) now. An added bonus is that Preparation and Cleanup is so easy. Just two items to clean.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm giving up Juicing
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 25, 2007 03:17AM

this was a great blog a woman who lived on green smoothies for 6 months to lose weight and heal things .. give it a read from the start its really an amazing blog smiling smiley

[greensmoothieexperiment.blogspot.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 25, 2007 03:18AM

so do we call you smoothie yogi now? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 25, 2007 04:21AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so do we call you smoothie yogi now? You are kind to give me a little attention, Jodi. No, I'm still going to be the Wheatgrass Yogi because I'll be putting frozen Wheatgrass Juice cubes in my smoothie mix.

Date: September 25, 2007 04:42AM

hehe yay ! cheers to the wheatgrass ! grinning smiley

btw have you tried using apple cider vinegar for your sciatica .. Prism from this forum suffers from it too an she has had amazing relief from hers by bathing in the stuff smiling smiley and my dad suffered from tremendously painful rheumatoid arthritis in his neck (he was a welder) and hes amazed at the relief hes having with the stuff smiling smiley

she adds a couple of cups to the bathwater and takes 3 spoonfulls orally daily smiling smiley

maybe worth a try .. a spoonfull in yer smoothie you probably wouldnt even notice if yer not the vinegar drinking type (personally i love the stuff lol)

its the braggs stuff with the live mother in it .. regular store stuff is dead smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 04:43AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 25, 2007 03:07PM

yogi

don't give up juicing. get a green star and store your juices for a few days in the fridge. juicing is the one thing that can do the most for you.

buy a 5 gal. bucket of blueberries (frozen) from a food supply like sysco. and make blue berry smoothies and ice creams. i heard blue berried and buck wheat are good for sciatica.

sprout the buckwheats and juice and add to smoothy.

wish you the best.

jj

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 25, 2007 03:26PM

I know someone who had sciatica who fixed it with one Osteopathic manipulation treatment from a D.O. type doctor. Craniosacral therapy is another alternative. Both are very gentle. The advantage of the Osteopathic manipulation by a doctor is that insurance often will cover it.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 25, 2007 11:14PM

Sciatica is nasty - one of those problems you won't die from, but wish you would.

Green smoothies sound like a great alternative - I know someone who rebuilt his worn discs by drastically improving his diet and including lots of green smoothies. At the time I thought they were inferior to juice, now I'm not so sure.
He had back pain, but not sciatica.

Date: September 25, 2007 11:37PM

Jgunn Wrote:
>
> btw have you tried using apple cider vinegar for
> your sciatica .. Prism from this forum suffers
> from it too an she has had amazing relief from
> hers by bathing in the stuff smiling smiley and my dad
> suffered from tremendously painful rheumatoid
> arthritis in his neck (he was a welder) and hes
> amazed at the relief hes having with the stuff smiling smiley
>
> she adds a couple of cups to the bathwater and
> takes 3 spoonfulls orally daily smiling smiley
>
> maybe worth a try .. a spoonfull in yer smoothie
> you probably wouldnt even notice if yer not the
> vinegar drinking type (personally i love the stuff
> lol) I can't tell if you're serious or just kidding. I think kidding. I've never tried Apple Cider Vinegar. I don't get an 'Amen' so I probably won't try it. I'm not saying it won't work for others. I'd like to do Clay Mud Packs but it's so messy.

Date: September 25, 2007 11:56PM

nope im serious do a search on posts by prism and seriously my dad has been feeling amazing on the stuff and hes a stodgy ol' non believer but even he says wow smiling smiley

a couple of cups in yer bath will be so diluted you wont smell it but you could rinse off in a quick shower if you thought it necessary .. i use the stuff in my hair all the time to make it shiny its realy great stuff ! smiling smiley

Date: September 26, 2007 01:04AM

juicin' john Wrote:
> yogi
>
> don't give up juicing. get a green star and store
> your juices for a few days in the fridge. juicing
> is the one thing that can do the most for you. After thinking about this for a couple of days, I don't think I can do without my morning Carrot Juice. It's been part of my daily routine for many years now. Thanks for your encouragement.....WY

Date: September 26, 2007 02:44AM

karennd Wrote:
> I know someone who had sciatica who fixed it with
> one Osteopathic manipulation treatment from a D.O.
> type doctor. Craniosacral therapy is another
> alternative. Both are very gentle. The advantage
> of the Osteopathic manipulation by a doctor is
> that insurance often will cover it. That's excellent advice. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so anti-Doctor. I've been to numerous Chiropractors who have all turned out to be Quacks. But I know there are some good ones out there......WY

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:40AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> juicin' john Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > yogi
> >
> > don't give up juicing. get a green star and
> store
> > your juices for a few days in the fridge.
> juicing
> > is the one thing that can do the most for you.
> After thinking about this for a couple of days, I
> don't think I can do without my morning Carrot
> Juice. It's been part of my daily routine for many
> years now. Thanks for your encouragement.....WY

I can't give up my carrot/apple juice either. I'm definitely feeling better on smoothies but I love what juicing carrots has done for my skin. So juicing still has a place in my life. Especially for my weekly 24 hour fast.

Date: September 26, 2007 10:15AM

roxeli Wrote:
> I can't give up my carrot/apple juice either. I'm
> definitely feeling better on smoothies but I love
> what juicing carrots has done for my skin. So
> juicing still has a place in my life. Especially
> for my weekly 24 hour fast. A weekly 24-hour Fast sounds like a good idea. Carrot Juice is good for the skin, as you mentioned. Sometimes I do a massage with it. I like it for the face and hair too....WY

Date: September 26, 2007 08:56PM

Osteopathic manipulation is very different from chiropractic work, btw.

"As a general rule, chiropractors focus most of their attention on the spine, while osteopathic practitioners devote more of the their efforts to the manipulation of soft tissues and joints outside the spine. Another general difference is that chiropractic spinal manipulation tends to make use of rapid short movements (spinal manipulation, which is a high-velocity, low-amplitude technique), while OM typically concentrates on gentle, larger movements (mobilization, which is a low-velocity, high-amplitude technique)."

This is the website of the American Osteopathic Association - [www.osteopathic.org]. You can click on Find a D.O. in the upper right to locate one near you.

D.O.s (Doctors of Osteopathy) first started out only healing people with hands on treatment many years ago, but with the advent of antibiotics and what seemed like a 'cure' by allopathic medicine of many diseases - the D.O.s started losing all their patients to the M.D.s. So they changed their training of D.O.s to include the allopathic training and now, some D.O.s are indistinguishable from their fellow M.D.s. Some do not use the osteopathic manipulation in their work. There are many that use both. And there are still some that only use the hands on approach. Like the famous Dr. Fulford that Dr. Weil discovered and wrote about in his book "Spontaneous Healing". Because of his book I took my daughter for cranial osteopathic manipulations when she was little and ended her ear infections.

Dr. Weil recommends the following on his website for sciatica:

Acupuncture: The National Institutes of Health recognizes acupuncture as an acceptable alternative to conventional therapies for low back pain. Look for an acupuncturist accredited by the American Association of Oriental Medicine or the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture.
Bodywork: Both the Alexander Technique and the Trager Approach can help overcome back pain. The Trager Approach includes table work (a practitioner gently rocks and lengthens your body to release tension) followed by a movement lesson for continued self-care. The Alexander Technique can help relieve pain and prevent recurrences by correcting poor posture and teaching proper patterns of movement.
Therapeutic Yoga: Yoga can help relieve pain and protect against recurrences by strengthening your back. It also can balance nervous functioning, promote flexibility and neutralize stress, all of which contribute to back pain.
Physical Therapy: Most conventional doctors who treat sciatica recommend physical therapy with stretching exercises as soon as the pain begins to diminish. You often can begin this rehabilitation by taking short walks even before starting physical therapy. (Therapeutic yoga may offer more benefits than physical therapy.)
Osteopathic Manipulation: This system of manipulation of the musculoskeletal system can be a highly effective treatment and usually requires only a few visits to a qualified practitioner.

I hope you get to feeling better soon, WY and that the juicing and smoothies do the trick! I just wanted to post more information in case anyone was interested.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 27, 2007 03:28AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
Carrot Juice is good
> for the skin, as you mentioned. Sometimes I do a
> massage with it. I like it for the face and hair
> too....WY

Pictures please. Hehehe

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 27, 2007 01:01PM

Are smoothies just made in blenders?

Date: September 27, 2007 03:16PM

yes, smoothies are made in blenders. Sometimes you need a very powerful one to make it work - Blend-tec, Vitamix, powerful Waring.

Date: September 27, 2007 05:40PM

roxeli Wrote:
> Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Carrot Juice is good
> > for the skin, as you mentioned. Sometimes I do
> a
> > massage with it. I like it for the face and
> hair
> > too....WY
>
> Pictures please. Hehehe LOL. Just visualize a skinny, slightly gray-headed Indian.....WY

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: September 27, 2007 10:55PM

'Just visualize a skinny, slightly gray-headed Indian'.....WY

???

Date: September 28, 2007 01:49AM

rawne Wrote:
> 'Just visualize a skinny, slightly gray-headed
> Indian'.....WY
>
> ??? Rubbing the skin with what you juice can make it quite dark. I'd like to get into the habit of giving myself a full-body massage with some of my morning Carrot-Wheatgrass Juice.....WY

Date: September 28, 2007 03:23AM

sweeet smiling smiley talk about playin with yer food ~! grinning smiley

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 29, 2007 04:27PM

Glad to see you didn't end up giving up. I quit my daily carrot, apple and beet juice a couple weeks ago and I lost some energy and have been craving it like crazy. Try searching www.curezone.com. Got to be a forum on there for this or at least a few posts on people who have found things that helped. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2007 04:29PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: September 30, 2007 02:55AM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> Glad to see you didn't end up giving up. Carrot Juice is part of my morning routine now. It's so filling that I don't get hungry until late afternoon. I quit my daily carrot, apple and beet juice a couple weeks ago and I lost some energy and have been craving it like crazy. Try searching www.curezone.com. Got to be a forum on there for this or at least a few posts on people who have found things that helped. Yes, some of those at the Juicing Forum at CureZone are quite knowledgeable. Grassman comes immediately to mind......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables