Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blendtec vs. Waring Xtreme
Posted by: Libra ()
Date: October 18, 2007 07:13PM

I'm trying to decide between the Blendtec and the Waring Xtreme. I am new to raw foods and have heard good things about the Blendtec. However, I've also seen the rawfoodsadvantage guy saying that you need to buy a 3.5HP blender, thus the Waring. I'm confused about which to buy. Is the Blendtec powerful enough? I've seen their youtube "Will it Blend" videos and it seems to be quite powerful. What about the programmable cycles? I've heard some people love them and some do not. Any comments? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blendtec vs. Waring Xtreme
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 18, 2007 07:42PM

I love my Blendtec but some people on this board love their Waring.

This might be a good thread for you to check out [www.rawfoodsupport.com].

Date: October 18, 2007 08:34PM

Thanks Karen! I've read that thread and am still confused. Do you like the pre-programmed buttons on your Blendtec? Do you prefer them to manual?

Date: October 18, 2007 09:01PM

I do like the pre-programmed buttons. I have learned which ones to use for what - like 2 for green smoothies and 4 for frozen fruit smoothies. But I also use the S button where I just hold it down until it gets to the level I want and then let go and let it run at that level, until I hit any button to stop it. There is also a P for pulse button, that I have not used but maybe I should.

Who knows though, if I had been able to do side by side testing which one I would have picked. But it works great for me.

Date: October 19, 2007 04:42PM

I found this quote on a website. It now has me thinking to just stick with the Blendtec, rather than the Waring. Any Waring users have a comment? (I'm ignoring the criticism of the model Vitamix they use and just going with their comments on the Waring performance).

"Have you heard about the Waring Pro MX1000 Blender with 3 horsepower?
Yes, we have, and we evaluated this model for a month before deciding not to sell this model. The blades seem to "beat" things around even more than the Vitamix 4500. In addition, the carafe is "fluted" so that it makes it much harder to clean than even the vitamix 4500. Also in the past, our company has had customer service issues with the waring company. In addition, even though the blender is rated at 3 horsepower, in our tests, the Champ HP3 Blender outperformed this model."

Date: October 19, 2007 04:48PM

Btw, I have a K-tec, not a Blendtec. Made by the same company but the residential model so I get them mixed up sometimes. I am thinking about getting a Blendtec 94 ounce container with a bigger blade to go with my K-tec. I have heard good things about it and using it with the K-tec no longer invalidates the warranty.

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: October 21, 2007 12:51PM

I have the Waring - for only a couple of weeks now - but so far am loving it. I have the one with the 2-speed toggle switch, not programmable or anything fancy, because I just don't anticipate needing to set it and walk away. I don't want to leave it running for more than a few seconds at a time because if I do it starts to heat up what I'm blending, but about 10-12 seconds is usually all it takes to smoothly blend anything (including avocado pits, kale with the ribs in, whole flax seeds and berry seeds just disappear). It's the first high-speed blender I've used, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

In the Champ HP3-Waring comparison above, it sounds like they're referring to the previous Waring model at 3hp, while the newest one (the Extreme or XT models) are 3.5hp. Don't really know how key that .5hp is, but some folks seem to think it's quite important.

I don't find the Waring container hard to clean. I rinse it out after blending, add some warm water and soap and blend on high for a little while which usually cleans it out just fine. If there's any stuff still stuck to the walls then I give a quick swipe with a sponge.

One thing about the Waring container I had heard is that it has more cavitation (when a sort of a cave opens in whatever you're blending, in the center by the blade) and introduces more air than other brands. It's been recommended here and elsewhere to get a Vitamix container and tamper to go with, as the VM container has very little cavitation, and that the Waring-VM combo is great. (Supposedly some VM containers fit on the Waring, but not all. I believe it's the Vita-Prep line that does.) I'll be ordering one for myself here in the next week, now that I've recovered from the blender purchase! Here's a thread to look at if you want to see more: [www.rawfoodsupport.com] Waring also has the option to have a stainless steel container instead of polycarbonate - about $100 more. I like the idea, but I want to see what I'm doing without having to take the top off.

Another thing about the Waring (again, haven't used VM or Blendtec) is it is so SOLID. It's heavy, and has these big rubber coated feet, and a big solid metal top covered with a big thick rubber pad. I'm guessing all this rubber-like material is to cut down on noise and vibration, because really, even though it sounds like a jet it's sound is not as offensive as our old Osterizer. And it's pretty cool looking too. smiling smiley The toggle switch is big and sturdy feeling - I chose the toggle over the button pad because I figured if anything went wrong a mechanical part is usually easier to fix than an electronic one. I got mine at everythingkitchens.com - they seemed to have the best price and free shipping.

Phew! Hope that wasn't way too much information. Have fun choosing!

Cheers,
Emily

Date: October 22, 2007 03:39AM

Thanks Emily!

Just when I thought that I finally made a decision......
And your point about just using the toggle switch makes sense. I don't know how long the pre-programmed cycles of the Blendtec last. Sigh.... Back to figuring it out again...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 22, 2007 04:01AM

pradiata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the Waring - for only a couple of weeks now
> - but so far am loving it. I have the one with
> the 2-speed toggle switch, not programmable or
> anything fancy, because I just don't anticipate
> needing to set it and walk away.......I got mine at everythingkitchens.com - they seemed to have the best price and free shipping. Thanks for all your information Pradiata. Based on your post here, I, just today, ordered the Waring Extreme 3.5 HP Model MX1200XT from EverythingKitchens.com. I paid $100 more for the Variable Speeds than you did for your 2-speed model. Blind Guru says it's important to start the 'whirlpool action' of a smoothie at the lower speeds and gradually work up to the Highest Speed. It'll be interesting to compare the Waring (3.5 HP) with the Vita-Prep 3 (3+ HP) that I'm using now......WY

Date: October 22, 2007 05:10PM

WY-
When your new Waring arrives, can you post to this thread, your thought about it and it compared to your Vitamix? Thanks. I look forward to your analysis.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2007 09:21PM

What answered my questions on this issue was seeing the dmo done by BlindGuru.com he has a UTube video on the differences on the Waring Xtreme Commerical 3.5Hp Blender and a non-Commerical, You can toatlly tell the difference i the Blending and also he explains the difference in the blending and how the Commerical HP3.5 Waring really allows you to consume more photonutrients in rawfoods also you can blend an avacado pit which has more soulable fiber than even organic oatmeal. Check it out

Date: October 22, 2007 11:06PM

Yes, I've seen the Blind Guru youtube videos of the Waring blender. It looks great. However, I've also watched the Blendtec "Will it Blend" videos on youtube and seen Blendtec blend a rake handle, cell phones, transformers, etc. So, it seems just as powerful as a Waring if it can do that, right?

We Libras are so darn indecisive....

Date: November 23, 2007 05:44PM

So, I've decided to go with the Waring because I want the stainless steel carafe instead of a plastic one.

Anyway, my question is this: Do I definitely want the MX1200 model that has the variable speed dial. WY - Have you found this to be worth the extra $$ or have you just gone back to your Vita-prep?

Thanks.

Date: November 23, 2007 07:06PM

Libra Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> Anyway, my question is this: Do I definitely want
> the MX1200 model that has the variable speed dial.
> WY - Have you found this to be worth the extra $$
> or have you just gone back to your Vita-prep?
The variable speed dial is a good feature.
I found that the Waring MX1200XT just didn't have the
power of my Vita-Prep 3, so yes, I've gone back to it.
I have a Blentec SpaceSaver 15AMP on order that I think
may blend better than both of them. You won't go far wrong
with the 1200, but I'm looking for the Best. The more I
look at Blendtec the better I like them......WY

Posted by: ericajones80 ()
Date: November 27, 2007 06:39PM

The Waring is the way to go...I prefer the steel opposed to plastic as well

For My Health The Fruit Company Fruit Baskets

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 06, 2007 09:06PM

> One thing about the Waring container I had heard
> is that it has more cavitation (when a sort of a
> cave opens in whatever you're blending, in the
> center by the blade) and introduces more air than
> other brands. It's been recommended here and
> elsewhere to get a Vitamix container and tamper to
> go with, as the VM container has very little
> cavitation, and that the Waring-VM combo is great.

Does anyone know if the Blendtec has the cavitation problem?

The cavitation is the main concern I have. I don't care about noise or the buttons. But I didn't want to pay another $150 or so for another container.

Does anyone really think the extra .5HP will make that much of a huge difference in how it blends? They're both 13 amps. Will smoothies be grainy or mushy/foamy? Do you have to add in a ton of water to make it liquid or drinkable?

I don't trust BlindGuru's website. A year ago he was saying the 3+ were the best and the only kind to break down cell walls now this year he's pushing the 20amps over the Waring and every other blender claiming they're not good enough. Blendtec advertises the same about their blenders being able to *micronize seeds and burst down the cell walls*.

Date: December 08, 2007 04:55PM

The Container, not the Blender, determines the Cavitation, or amount of air introduced into the mix. I'm currently using the new Vita-Mix 48-ounce container. It produces a small Whirlpool, or Vortex, with a downward pull. I see very few air bubbles.....WY

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:24AM

I love the Blendtec for many reasons, I tried them ALL and it is the BEST blender hands down. Design, quality of blend, ease of use, light jug, food does not get stuck under the blade or on lid, small compact design, other blenders are huge for some reason, I owned my own Raw Organic Restaurant and found that 1 Blendtec Blender was enough to run the entire restaurant! I made food when people ordered it so it was super fresh, mostly freshly made food, soups, smoothies, not that much dehydrated the only pre made food was sprouted vegan amlond milk raw-ice-creams made fresh each morning and every hour. Blendtec did it all love it! I won't use any other blender really. And I can get you one BRAND NEW for only $345 tax/shipping/handling included. More than 34 people have bought it from me and loved it too.

Bryan Au
[www.RawInTen.com]

Posted by: mattstew3049 ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:32PM

I love my Waring MX1000 Pro blender, it get the job done and fast, I wrote a small review on the blender please read it if you are seriously looking at one [http://homeappliancereviewssite.com/waring-mx1000-pro-blender] as I have been using it to make green smoothies for myself and my wife. These have been helping with various health issues and greatly increased my mental energy.

Posted by: Kwestby ()
Date: January 06, 2012 01:36PM

Just wanted to put my two cents in as this post is the first thing that pops up when you google "Waring vs Blendtec". I received a Waring Xtreme 1050xtx .... and while my friends and I often joke about how extreme a blender can really be .... I love it. I have been juicing for about a year and whole food juicing since I got the Xtreme for Christmas .... it really has a lot of power. I am in love with the quality. Everyone has their own perceptions but all I remember is when I worked fir tropical smoothie ten years ago how much I hated when thr blenders would clog up with ingredients still unblended ... that doesn't happen with the Xtreme. I do not plan on making any fresh nut butters anytime soon so I cant comment in that ... what I can say is I make awesomr trouble free green smoothies every day and I am a very satisfied Waring customer.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:30PM

this is a pretty old thread. Are the Waring and Blendtec products described even current?

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 08, 2012 03:21PM

pborst Wrote:
> this is a pretty old thread. Are the Waring and Blendtec products described even current?

The Waring blenders haven't changed, except when they changed the Jar. The power of the machines stayed the same. Blendtec, on the other hand, has improved their Lineup....unveiling an unheard of 20-Amp home blender......WY

Date: January 08, 2012 11:29PM

The Waring is still an amazing blender. Why would they need to update a great product? I am eating an awesome vegetable-pepper soup make entirely in the blender as we speak ...

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 09, 2012 01:06AM

Kwestby Wrote:
> .........I am eating an awesome vegetable-pepper soup make entirely in the blender as we speak ...

I can't remember if Waring blenders have BPA-free containers. Do you know? Should be if you eat Soup......WY

Date: January 19, 2012 03:57PM

The jar, the so called "Raptor"is BPA free.

Posted by: Joeboxer ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:47AM

Just to add a commercial perspective. We make smoothie all day long. We have the MX1500XTX bling bling blender with the blast shield and all. Yes, it will blend. My employee has forgotten spoons and turned it on. Bye bye spoon. The one thing that this waring does well is to pulverize ice into snow cone consistency. Perfectly still icy and dry. The vitamix can't produce the same consistency. Their ice is a bit wetter. My waring is also programmable for different ingredient. It has taught us how to make better smoothie. Present a curious chef a new tool, and he'll revolutionize your kitchen.

It's been a year of aggressive 365x10h of abuse, and not an issue. Still looks new. Except for the one nick in the blade from the early spoon incident. After seeing how it Houdini the spoon, everyone is cautios of it for fear of me feeding them to the waring! *(Evil)*Muawhahaha

Date: February 05, 2013 09:01PM

John Kohler's experience with Waring blenders appears to be different. [www.discountjuicers.com]. Says Waring can blend ice but not crush it. check the warranty of the Waring and the material used to make the carafe. If it is one year and made of polycarbonate, forget it. You'd be better off getting a reconditioned Vitamix 5200 with a 5 year warranty and Eastman Tritan copolymer carafe (BPA free) for $329.

Paul

Posted by: Joeboxer ()
Date: February 20, 2013 10:12PM

pborst Wrote:
> John Kohler's experience with Waring blenders
> appears to be different.
> [www.discountjuicers.com].
> Says Waring can blend ice but not crush it. check
> the warranty of the Waring and the material used
> to make the carafe. If it is one year and made of
> polycarbonate, forget it. You'd be better off
> getting a reconditioned Vitamix 5200 with a 5 year
> warranty and Eastman Tritan copolymer carafe (BPA
> free) for $329.
>
> Paul

The John Kohler experience is comparing a tiny Waring, not the 3.5hp Xtreme blender. It's like comparing a Yaris to a Ferrari.

Date: February 21, 2013 06:32PM

Point taken, still, the Waring is priced like a Vitamix with a 3 year warranty to Vitamix's 7. More power doesn't always equate to better performance. When Kohler tested more powerful Omega blenders to the Vitamix, the sharpness of the blade and design was the determining factor. The Waring is a fine blender I'm sure. It appears to have a pulse button, critical in my view. And lots of power. Still, it's warranty appears to be behind the game. It does look as though it is less expensive than a comparable Vitamix.

Posted by: jonhern ()
Date: March 08, 2013 11:17PM

pborst Wrote:
> Point taken, still, the Waring is priced like a
> Vitamix with a 3 year warranty to Vitamix's 7.
> More power doesn't always equate to better
> performance. When Kohler tested more powerful
> Omega blenders to the Vitamix, the sharpness of
> the blade and design was the determining factor.
> The Waring is a fine blender I'm sure. It appears
> to have a pulse button, critical in my view. And
> lots of power. Still, it's warranty appears to be
> behind the game. It does look as though it is
> less expensive than a comparable Vitamix.

You can get it new from cowboom for $170 today. I got one early this morning, and it has been in and out of stock throughout the day so if its says oos check back later. well worth it at this price over a vitamix. Model is MX1000R

[www.cowboom.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables