Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicing Beet leaves and stems
Posted by: jan ()
Date: November 04, 2007 01:16PM

Good Morning,

Just wondering is it OK to juice the leaves and stems of the beet?
Also, I've been pealing the beet, should I leave the skin on it?
It's a bit gritty.
Thanks in advance for your answers

www.myspace.com/greeneyedvegangirl
GO VEGAN!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing Beet leaves and stems
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 04, 2007 02:06PM

I used to juice Beets. It was very messy so I gave it up.
The Tops are probably like Carrot Tops, toxic in large amounts. For sure they'd be very Strong. I'd 'pass' myself, but you could always try them. Report back here with your results.....WY

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: November 04, 2007 04:18PM

contrary to popular belief....oxalic acid (which is present in beet tops), may have some amazing health benefits.

however it must be used raw.

i made an increible energizing blend with melon rind, beet tops and apple. imean just incredible. i gave a pint or so to afriend i stopped over to see and received a phone call an hour later to the gist of.... "what is in that stuff you gave me?!!

beets happen to be one of the most powerful foods you can have for healing and longevity. use beet roots sparingly with your juices they are very concentrated and too much can make you dizzy.

1 beet
3carrots
1 apple
4 cabbage leaves
half a lemon

i have kept this juice for as long as 5 days when juiced in my greenstar.

i accidentally left some beet tops in the lower drawer of my refigerator and kinda forgot about them. to my surprise when i opened the sealed bag ...wther was not bad smell so i actyua;;y tasted the product within which was definitely less than appetizing. sorta brown colored and having good amount of brown liquid
from the bio degrading process which had occurred. nothing whatsover indicating and unpleasant "spoiling" but instead the biodegradable process actually created a "natural preservative" in the brown leaves stems and liquid.

link below is a starter for more info on oxalic acid.

[www.coljoe.com]

beets are definitely a power food for super health. if you are considering beets you are definitely moving in the direction of strong and healthful juicing.

best to ya..............

juicin' john

Date: November 04, 2007 04:40PM

Very nice response JJ!! I've always wanted to include Carrot Tops (along with the carrot) in my Green Smoothies. I may just try them now. Beet Tops couldn't be good for you and Carrot Tops not.
What have you been doing with youself lately? As for me, I'm into CR and GS. My juicing is limited to a little Carrot Juice every morning.....WY

Posted by: jan ()
Date: November 05, 2007 05:49PM

The VERY FIRST time I juiced beets I used about 3 or 4 beets straight, it knocked me off my feet! LOL
I've learned now to back off and mix it with carrot or apple but wow!....
Makes me feel GREAT!
I was just a bit concerned about the sugar content, I've heard people comment on that particular aspect so I'm thrilled to hear some positve feedback on them!
Thanks!!

www.myspace.com/greeneyedvegangirl
GO VEGAN!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: November 05, 2007 07:51PM

I've heard Victoria Boutemko saying that she blends carrots and beet tops always with fruits.

Date: November 05, 2007 11:00PM

cy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard Victoria Boutemko saying that she
> blends carrots and beet tops always with fruits.
Cy...I'm assuming you're saying Carrots without the Tops. A Friend of mine sent me a Chart of Toxic Greens, and Carrot Tops were on the List, but Beet Tops weren't.....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables