Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I need a 3.5hp Blender to blen Avacado PITS
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 12, 2007 04:30AM

our 4 yr old daughter has tourette/ocd need a blender for rawfoods new to rawfoods and cant afford much on tight budget a stay at home mom, only one income, the avacado pits contain more soulble fiber then oatmeal which stops outbreaks.. please help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a 3.5hp Blender to blen Avacado PITS
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 12, 2007 02:36PM

EverythingKitchens.com has an economical Waring that they claim is a 3.5HP.
[www.everythingkitchens.com]
If you decide to order one, and it doesn't state "45,000 Bare Motor Speed" on the outside of the box when you get it, I'd send it back without opening it. RawVegan ordered the MX1000XT from them and it didn't have the advertised power. I ordered a MX1200XT from them and it didn't have 3.5HP, but being unwary at the time, I didn't notice that it didn't state 45,000 RPM on the box. Just be careful. The Blender Business is unscrupulous....WY

Date: November 13, 2007 05:46PM

I just ordered the mx1050xts and their 20 amp blender. It did say 45000 bare motor speed but 30000 motor speed with the top on it. The 20 amp has 2400 wats and the waring blender, well, I am not sure how many wats but it does have 13 amps. Blindguru.com said the twin blade takes more power than the cross blades. Has anyone tried the blender that blind guru sells or any others?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 14, 2007 02:27AM

cedricw....Keep us informed. I am very interested, and I'm sure some others are too. I'd be most interested in the 20 AMP power cord. I read somewhere that all of Blendtec's Blenders over 13 AMPs (15, 18, and 20) take a special NEMA 5-20 outlet, because of the extra power surge. However, Blind Guru's demo Video of the 20 AMP uses a regular 110 outlet, so I don't know for sure....WY
P.S. The Waring is 1560 Watts.
P.P.S. The Blendtec Company has Tech Support, which I called earlier today, but the technician wasn't knowledgeable.

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: November 14, 2007 02:45PM

rawmamma -

Do you have a blender at all right now? I'm thinking that until you can get a more powerful blender, maybe you could try smashing the avocado pits with a hammer first and then blend. I'd probably put the pit in a plastic bag before smashing so the pieces wouldn't go all over the place. This could also be a good way to release stress!

Have you tried avo pit smoothies already? They have a funny taste to me, kind of an antispetic flavor or something - I add a lot of flavor (mint leaves, cinnamon, etc) and stevia to mask the taste. I haven't tried getting my 4 yo son to try an avo pit smoothie yet, but if I put enough stevia in it he probably would drink it (he LOVES stevia - I have to keep it up high or he'll devour it!)

You may not need a 3+ hp blender for avo pits - I have a funny little ebook that touts avo pit smoothies and the references there are all to 3hp machines.

If you haven't already thought of these ideas, here are some ways you might look for a blender:
• Try contacting the blender makers and ask them about refurbished models cheap, or even free - perhaps you could give them a doctor's note or some research references. Ask to talk with the PR or marketing departments if customer service doesn't seem interested.
• Check out your local freecycle (www.freecycle.org) and try a WANTED post.
• Mothering Dot Commune forums is sponsoring their annual Holiday Helper, Moms/Families in Need program, and you could list your need for a blender there (http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=786498 - you need to have a Mothering registration, but that's easy to do if you don't have one already, plus you can find lots and lots of incredible support there.)
• Contact local smoothie bars/coffee shops/etc. that use powerful blenders and let the managers know that you'd be interested in a used blender if they upgrade their equipment.

And for free/cheap avocado pits you might befriend the kitchen staff at a nearby restaurant, especially Mexican, and get them to save the pits for you. (I mourn the ending of the local avocado season. $3 avos with brown spots from 3,000 miles away...)

Good luck, mama.

Emily
(another sahm mama to a 4 yo)

Date: November 21, 2007 03:44AM

The 20 amp in their video was a cord that they made that they custom made. They do not sell it like that. I happen to have a 20 amp outlet in my house. They say it will cost a few dollars to get an outlet or I could hire an electrician to put in a 20 amp for 200 to 300 dollars.

I did blend up avocado pits. They are nasty. It seems that something that hard in nature shoud be forbidden to eat. Shouldn't the seeds not be eaten so they reproduce themselves?
Also, if it requires sweetener to make them palatable, that is a sign they should not be eaten alone or at all.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: November 21, 2007 05:07AM

as cedricw pointed out their use is highly questionable

they seem to be toxic to some pets

if you are after 'soulble fiber' why not get another source?
perhaps apple pectin from the health food store available in caps

also Psyllium powder...it is simple to use...put the powder in a jar with cold water or juice shake vigorously & drink immediately. Follow with some more plain liquid. Rinse jar. No blender needed.

"Psyllium is a soluble fiber used primarily as a gentle bulk-forming laxative. It comes from a shrub-like herb called plantain that grows worldwide. There are many species of plantain that can each produce up to 15,000 tiny, gel-coated seeds. The plantain herb that produces psyllium seed is not the same plant as edible plantains. Psyllium husk is derived from these odorless, tasteless seeds.

The soluble fiber found in psyllium husks plays an important role in lowering cholesterol."...

for more info

[www.umm.edu]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables