Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you need a blender AND a foodprocessor?
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 28, 2007 02:41AM

Hi all, so, I am new to this raw way of life (LOVING it so far, yet MUCH to learn!). One thing I found just about everywhere was: get a food processor. And: Get a blender.

So - I went and got myself the Kitchenaid 9 cup processor (thanks, in part, also to this board) and it just arrived. Now I'd like to get the Vitamix, but hubby doesnt think that's needed, since I got the foodprocessor now anyways, and we already have juicers as well.

my question: what does the blender do that the food processor doesnt do? If you could just get one OR the other, which would you prefer? Can't the processor do nice smoothies and purees, too? How about ice cubes, does that work in the foodprocessor?

Your input much appreciated!
Raw-k on
Cocoa_nibs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you need a blender AND a foodprocessor?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 28, 2007 01:12PM

The short answer is yes, you do need a blender and a food processor. After becoming interested in raw foods, I got a K-Tec Champ HP3 and use it every day. (Shop around for the best price!) It's great for smoothies and blended soups, recipes where you don't want any chunkiness.

A food processor (mine is an old Cuisinart) will not get your recipes as smooth as a high-powered blender. I hardly use my juicer anymore, not only because it's a pain to clean, but because with the blender you keep all the fiber, and the result is nearly as smooth as if you juiced it - it depends on how much water or ice cubes you add. The food processor is better for recipes in which you want some chunkiness, such as cookies and other desserts. The K-Tec can do processing like a food processor if you use the pulse button, but not as well, at least in my experience.

Eventually you may want to get a dehydrator, too. I got the Excalibur with nine racks. After two years of being mostly raw I've never used more than four.

I wish you much luck on the raw path, and hope you have support from those close to you.

Re: Do you need a blender AND a foodprocessor?
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 28, 2007 11:50PM

cocoa_nibs

Tell your husband that, YES!!, you need a blender as well as a food processor in your raw kitchen..

Each will perform tasks that the other WILL do, although will not do as well for one reason or another..

If a Vita-Mix blender is currently not in the budget, be assured that an older Oster Osterizer blender will do a fine job in the interim; as long as you have sufficient liquid (fats, water, juices) in the carafe to allow the vortex to pull down foods & move them efficiently around the carafe..And as long as you DO NOT stuff the carafe too full before turning the blender on..If you add tough greens & other foods slowly to prevent clogging; the Osterizer will do nearly anything that the more powerful blenders will..It WILL NOT pulverise avocado pits, break down blueberry & strawberry seeds, or other similar tasks like the Vita-Mix's, Waring's, & Blend Tec's will..

The older Oster blender ROCK!!..I use my 35 year old Osterizer all the time when I don't need the power or capacity of my Vita-Prep 3..

You should be able to pick one up for less then $20 at a yard sale, flea market, or thrift store..

Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables