Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is My Doctor Crazy Or Am I??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 11, 2006 02:17AM

For years, with a few variations I have been mixing the following in a blender every morning. 1 1/2 of Orange juice (not fresh squeezed), a cup of trader Joes Low Sodium Garden Patch, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, a 1/2 thick slice of fresh pineapple, 1 whole apple minus the seeds, and 2 cups fresh strawberries.This usually yields an 18-24 oz drink. I follow this up with 2 pieces of wheat bread w/peanut butter about 1/2 hr later. My doctor says this is to much...if fact WAY to much for the system all at once. To much volume, to much sugar, on and on and on. I love this drink and find it hard to believe I've been doing myself any harm. My wife had a TIA a few weeks back and has been put on a 1500 calorie a day diet. She was also told to stop for the most part, drinking juice. Eating the fruit is o.k., but not putting it in a blender? Any feedback on this? Similar experiences? Frankly I'm stunned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is My Doctor Crazy Or Am I??
Posted by: deeds ()
Date: May 12, 2006 11:55AM

that does sound a bit weird

when you blend something the fibers remain in your drink

blending fruit doesn't mess with the sugar / fiber balance

that only happens when you juice

i usually blend my fruit (2-3 servings) with lots of parsley and romaine or iceberg lettuce to add volume (and green) to the smoothie/soup

without the lettuce i would need much more fruit to make for a big glass

and too much fruit in one sitting makes me feel a bit funny

a couple of pieces is enough to make a large blended smoothie/soup sweet

happy blending!

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 12, 2006 06:31PM

It is a dense drink to say the least. And your doctor's right about one thing, it's WAY too much sugar. Your body only stores about 2,500 calories of sugar energy at a time, so most of the sugar humans digest turns in to acid in the system. The sugar also slows your red blood cells way down, pretty much putting them to sleep until the sugar can be removed from your blood stream.

I got that you don't think it can do any harm, cause after all, the fruits are natural. But sugar, even from fruits, is bad for you.

If you feed your body sugar, it uses sugar as its primary energy source. And with only 2,500 calories available(as opposed to 150,000 calories of fat energy) you need to constantly replenish that sugar energy. That's why average people have such huge fluctuations in their energy levels throughout the day and regularly need to get a coffee, pop, candy or whatever.

Train your body to use fat as its energy source; your energy levels will even out and stay solid all the time. You'd be better off taking in no fruits at all, your body will still take in enough to use for emergencies, which is what the sugar stores are really intended for.

Date: May 12, 2006 08:12PM

since when did fruit become the new meat?

i eat between 3 and 5 pieces of fruit daily

a couple in the morning

a piece in the late afternoon

sometimes a piece in the evening

in no way does this mess me up

i don't burn out i don't crash

my energy is quite consistent throughout the day

and i feel happy too

Date: May 12, 2006 08:16PM

It's not nearly as bad as meat. I just don't like seeing people consume insane amounts of fruit just because it fits in the category of raw foods. Fruits should be no more than 10% of your intake.

Date: May 12, 2006 08:31PM

it would probably be best if one didn't consume insane amounts of anything

a little balance does one good

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 15, 2006 08:36AM

I would think that it depends on how much energy you burn daily but that is just a totally unfounded guess. Just my two cents.

Date: May 17, 2006 04:45PM

Doesn't even matter how much you burn daily. Stu Mittleman ran an Amerithon(marathon across the entire U.S.) averaging 80 miles (2-3 marathons) per day for 56 days. I remember one thing he mentions in his book Slow Burn was that food for him wasn't just about getting energy, but eating foods that released the energy available in his body.

Sugar is your emergency source. You burn it when you workout vigorously and when you're stressed out, in both those cases it produces acid.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 20, 2006 04:32PM

Fruit is where we should get our energy, not fat. You will find most raw fooders agree with this.

newguy, if drinking this smoothie is working for you then keep doing it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 22, 2006 10:32AM

i ran a livingroomthon
u guessed it
averaging fourty feet per day
for 78 days
and all fueled on kale juice

yeahhhhh!!

i don't find ONeris' opinions onerous at all
gotta good point there

maybe i'll check out that book "Slow Burn"

was it a good read?
i love to read about runners

Date: May 27, 2006 01:49AM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fruit is where we should get our energy, not fat.
> You will find most raw fooders agree with this.
>
> newguy, if drinking this smoothie is working for
> you then keep doing it.
>
> Rob

Oh my gosh, Rob, - i don't think you should be speaking for "most raw fooders". Please, speak for you, not the me. Thanks!

I do agree that the OP should just check in with himself - if it's working for him, then he should listen to his own body. if there are doubts, try something else for a while and see if you notice a change.

trrish

Date: May 27, 2006 09:33PM

Thanks for all the input!!!!! It does work for me...I have experimented and skipped my smoothies since my doctors visit and THAT does not work. My bodies telling me to continue my evil smoothie ways in each and every way. Considering the abuse the body withstood in my younger years, I don't think fruitslaught is the one thats gonna do me in........ Off the wagon. Many thanks again!

Date: June 10, 2006 02:15AM

Hey all,

I've been raw for almost 5 years. I eat 80-90% fruit and have lots of energy. Doug Graham, Roz Gruben, Roe Gallo, etc all live primarly on fruit and are very slim and athletic. But the bottom line is - do what works for you! I've been practicing natural Hygiene for 14 years, which has totally changed my physical and mental health, and I know that peanut butter (or any nut butter) and bread is a very heavy combination....infact, roasted p.b. is totally un-digestable.

I used to be a heavy breaknfast eater and coffee drinker. When I started eating just fruit until lunch, it changed everything! Have a look at Fit for Life, at least the intro, if you're curious.

Love and energy to everyone!

Posted by: all one ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:49AM

you mentioned you practice natural hygiene... what would you recommend for a toothpaste alternative, cause i dont use it and i think that just brushing my teeth with water is going to be bad for them in the long run.

Peace and Harmony

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 04, 2007 09:58PM

hey newguy

"evil smoothie" and "fruitslaught"???

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!

you are funny!!

made me laugh

happy drinkin!!

veronique

Date: January 13, 2007 04:17AM

I saw it's totally fine, go for it,
I do however believe you should drink just as much green juice/wheatgrass to balance things out.

Date: January 14, 2007 03:55AM

My two cents...no one knows your body like you do, especially a DR. Most I've had experience with only know what they read in the latest journal, which definitely was NOT written to cover ALL mankind. I was reading the other day, and you can google this man's name: Storm Talifero (he has a website and has written books) His main source of energy (75% or more) on any given day is orange juice. And, he's a body builder.

Mckenna

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: January 21, 2007 02:51AM

Oneris>Fruits should be no more than 10% of your intake.

So what should the other 90% be made up of?
Brian

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2007 06:18AM

Princess, the doctor is completely out of his mind

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 05, 2007 11:43PM

Doctors are usually out of their mind. But in this case, I would rethink the combination. I think fruit should be eaten personally, but even if you blend it, take it separately. Then the body can get rid of it if need be and it will be out of you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables