Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grass Juices
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 31, 2006 06:26AM

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone juices barley grass and noticed any effects that were different from wheat grass. Also has anyone ever juiced other type of grasses such as maize, quinoa, oat or rice?
Are all grain grass juices safe to drink?
Thanx for any info!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grass Juices
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 31, 2006 02:14PM

veganlife,

Actually, quinoi and many others start off as sprouts, if my memory serves me. Same thing for oats. Wheat and barley are true grasses loaded with chlorophyll. Also, rice is not really sproutable. It is possible to find some wild rice, which is not a true rice, that can be sprouted but that is as close as you'll get to sprouted rice. Hope this helps. I only juice barley and wheatgrass. I do, however, make oat milk - which is quite yummy when made correctly.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2006 02:44PM

All the phytochemicals and antioxidants are in the fiber that you throw away.. you are wasting your time juicing it.

RawfoodAdvantage.com

Date: June 13, 2006 02:49AM

gonnabe,

Certain grasses can't be blended because they aren't digestible. Specifically, wheat and barley, in their grass stages are too rough for us to digest. Cows, who have four stomachs, can break down the protein easier than us. So, by juicing grasses we receive all the benefit without attempting to digest a product that we are not designed to eat. However, it doesn't mean we can't benefit from it.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:49PM

you can soak your pulp in distilled water, in the refigerator.....next add some lemon honey and ginger to the grass pulp and enjoy a cool summer drink with the leftovers form the previously wasted grass pulp....

Date: July 01, 2006 11:37PM

Juicin' john are you saying that I shoud strain the pulp or drink the fiber with the distilled water?

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: July 02, 2006 07:48PM

Hi veganlife,
I have juiced barely grass and ryegrass and oatgrass and I have also used kamutwheat grass as well.

I am currently using speltgrass(which is non hybrid wheat) cause the speltberries are locally available so its cheaper than ordering rye or oats or barley. I really feel better using spelt than modern hybrid wheatberries.

I have noticed a difference between barley and wheatgrass when I went from typicall wheatgrass seeds to barley. I have not tried comparing it with spelt though.

Barley has less sugar than wheat so it may be a better choice if you are infested with candidia or on a very strict low sugar diet.

As far as I know all of the grain grasses are good for juicing. Like Marcos was saying though some start off as sprouts and those aren't true grasses.

The main true grasses are wheat(spelt, kamut and modern wheat), rye, barley and oats. Of couse there are others out there too like timothy and canary grass and lovegrass and others that are used for cattle and stuff. I have no idea how they all measure up to wheat, rye, barley and oatgrass though.

Date: July 04, 2006 03:50PM

The only thing I do with sprouted oats is to make oat bread or yummy oat milk.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 27, 2006 06:12PM

I've tried growing and juicing all the grasses, even Kamut. I always keep coming back to the 'old favorite'......Wheatgrass. It even tastes the best and is so easy to grow.......WY

Date: September 11, 2006 06:36AM

singinraw what kind of difference did you feel from going to whaet to oat grass?

Marcos, how do you make the oat milk?

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: November 05, 2006 05:50PM

Hi Veganlife,
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I haven't been around here in a really long time I was actually just searching for some of my older posts today and I saw this.

I've only had oat grass a few times. I grew it both in a tray inside and in the ground outside. I felt a little less of a lift from the oat grass though. It seems less potent than wheat and barley and rye. Its still nice to try them all I think though cause they're all still really good and sometimes one person finds one easier to handle than another.

I hope this helps you out smiling smiley

Date: November 06, 2006 10:50PM

It does singinraw! Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables