Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Almond Milk in Centrifugal Juicer?
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 29, 2008 11:25PM

If I soak my almonds, then run them through a centrifugal juicer, will I get almond milk, or will it just send my almonds flying into the pulp bin?

Just wondering if anybody has tried this. I have a breville centrifugal juicer. Seems that when I am doing vegetables, the last bit of the vegetable gets *flung*. The only way I could juice greens was by stuffing them in the core of an apple. (Which I have to say was pretty clever).

-DaveK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 11:25PM by Itzdavey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almond Milk in Centrifugal Juicer?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:05PM

Itzdavey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I soak my almonds, then run them through a
> centrifugal juicer, will I get almond milk, or
> will it just send my almonds flying into the pulp
> bin?
Nuts and Seeds weren't meant to be juiced.
They're concentrated enough already. I'd suggest you
add them to Green Smoothies. I haven't tried Almonds,
but do have Pistacios, Pine Nuts, Brazils, Pecans, Walnuts,
and Flax Seeds....alternating them to have one a day.....WY

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 01, 2008 02:01AM

Running soaked almonds through a centrifugal just might give you some nice results if you run a cup of warm water through with them. Some will get spit out but it will be as a course almond flour which is also pretty useful.

I do this with mature coconut when I want coconut milk/butter/oil/flour.

The cored apple trick I can relate to. Sometimes I'll roll seeds in kale then juice it like that. It gives the spinning disk a chance to grind up the seeds, some portion which will come out as juice and some ejected. I'm into pulp salads so there's no waste..otherwise I guess results will be mixed.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 01, 2008 01:20PM

juicing nuts is an awfully wastefull idea.

better to eat the nuts separeate or in a recipe.

get a greenstar if you wanna juice green leafy everything else is quite inefficient in comparison.

jj

Date: May 01, 2008 07:35PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:

> Nuts and Seeds weren't meant to be juiced.
> They're concentrated enough already.

The point is that I want to make almond milk. So this comment doesn't really help. I just wanted to know if a centrifugal juicer as a viable means for doing this.

Date: May 01, 2008 07:39PM

loeve Wrote:
> Running soaked almonds through a centrifugal just
> might give you some nice results if you run a cup
> of warm water through with them. Some will get
> spit out but it will be as a course almond flour
> which is also pretty useful.

Ok, might give that a try.

> I do this with mature coconut when I want coconut
> milk/butter/oil/flour.
>
> The cored apple trick I can relate to. Sometimes
> I'll roll seeds in kale then juice it like that.
> It gives the spinning disk a chance to grind up
> the seeds, some portion which will come out as
> juice and some ejected. I'm into pulp salads so
> there's no waste..otherwise I guess results will
> be mixed.

You have some specific recipes? right now I use the pulp for my pet worms. smiling smiley But they can only eat so much.

Date: May 02, 2008 12:26AM

Coconut oil:
Warm the meat of a mature coconut to at least 76 degrees F. (melting point of its oil) and juice. Yield- 1 1/2 cups oil, 6 cups flour, flush out the juicer with 2 cups warm water for some coconut milk.*

Coconut butter:
Warm the meat of a mature coconut to at least 76 degrees F. and juice with one cup warm water, mix the juice with the flour and whatever oil is cached in the basket and bowl.* Yield- about 6 cups butter.

Coconut milk:
Same as above but up the warm water to taste.*

Kale/carrot/coconut juice w/ pulp salad:
1 lb kale
1 lb carrots
1/4 lb coconut meat
Juice all together (not individually) so the nut oil will mix with the carrot and kale juices.* Enjoy the juice and the nutty pulp salad winking smiley

* This works in my centrifugal pulp ejection style juicer. Oh, and these oils and juices are all perishable.

Date: May 02, 2008 01:24AM

num! I'll try that.

Do you have any recipes for the pulp from carrots and such?

Date: May 02, 2008 01:58AM

Just carrots alone not really..these juicers do carrots very well and leave a dry pulp which I prefer with pulped leafy greens (which are still juicy). I like to mix the flavors..sweet potato and coconut is another combo..most often with 1/2 lb. of greens, kale being my favorite....a whole lb. of greens maybe a bit much.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 17, 2012 06:02AM

I have same question but slightly different: if I soak the almonds, blend them, and then pour the mixture straight into the centrifuge of the juicer, and set it spinning - do you think would it work in terms of straining the milk from the pulp?

I thought about it as I don't have milk bag, and suspect they may be a pain to clean and definitely a pain to strain. Whereas the centrifuge in my juicer is nice stainless steel mesh which cleans in seconds using nylon brush.

Just thought I'd post here and ask before I experiment and waste my almonds!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: June 17, 2012 06:18AM

I just figured: a lot of people strain their juices using the bags, but the centrifuge in the juicer is designed for this. And a lot of people strain their almond milk using the bags, so can't centrifuge work for this also?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2012 12:28PM

This seems awfully complicated and messy as well as potentially wasteful if the pulp is jammed up in the parts of a juicer. Really, nut milk is not difficult to do in a blender, even a not so fantastic blender. And you don't have to buy an expensive nut milk bag, a simple paint straining bag from the hardware store (washed well) is exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price. That way you get your almond milk and the pulp is easily used for pate etc.

Date: June 17, 2012 12:55PM

coco Wrote:
> This seems awfully complicated and messy as well
> as potentially wasteful if the pulp is jammed up
> in the parts of a juicer.

There would not be any parts for the pulp to jam though - the idea is to pour the blended almonds straight into the centrigugal bowl. The pulp then stays there, it doesn't go anywhere.

The centrifuge will spin, the milk will sieve through the sides of the bowl, the dry pulp will be left to scoop up and use for the pate. That's the idea anyway!

Why does it sound awfully messy? I thought it's the other way around, milk is pouring out of the juicer just the way the juice does, pulp remains in the centrifugal bowl just the way the juice pulp does. Everything is clean including your hands. No squirts or stains anywhere. Centrigugal bowl is stainless steel, hygienic, lasts forever and quick to clean using a nylon brush.

Instead of the nut milk bag, pressing it with your hands and having milk squirt through your fingers possibly on your clothes and around - I witnessed a friend make the juice that way once (she bought vitamix but didn't buy a juicer) - and I thought yikes! I don't wanna drink that juice! Well the above idea is to avoid thatsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 01:01PM by chat.

Date: June 17, 2012 01:14PM

This is the centrifugal bowl. This is also pretty much the only part of the juicer, apart from the lid on top and a plastic pusher for fruits/veggies. The sides of the bowl are sieves, and the bottom of the bowl is grating surface (which will not be used since I will pour the mixture already blended)

Date: June 17, 2012 02:35PM

All you can do is try it out and see. A juicer has many parts to clean though, this doesn't sound as easy as using a blender to me. And I don't spend a lot of time squeezing the juice, I actually use a stainless steel mesh strainer and a spoon, if there are particles of nut/seed left then I strain it through a bag, there is no squeezing at all in that case.

Date: June 17, 2012 03:35PM

Actually I will be using a blender - as I explained above, the juicer is used only to strain the blended mixture of almonds and water.

So if you are using a nut milk bag, you have to clean it afterwards. If you are using a stainless steel mesh strainer and a spoon, you have to clean them afterwards. If you are using a juicer, you have to clean it afterwards.

Is the latter method really that awfully complicated and messy compared to the former ones? Not sure, perhaps it depends on the juicer? In my case I have to clean a centrifugal bowl, which takes no time using a nylon brush. Then I have to rinse the lid and juice collecting bowl, about 10 seconds. That's all the "many parts" there are. I doubt they would take much longer to clean than a separate mesh strainer and a spoon. I haven't tried nut milk bag but it seems to me cleaning out tiny fabric mesh ought to prove more difficult.

It just seems to me the juicer's advantages over the other two methods are 1)straining the milk better (it's powerful centrifugal motor afterwards), 2)zero effort involved during straining, it's the machine who does it, I can do something else, and 3)no mess during straining itself, which cannot be guaranteed with the other two methods (definitely not with the bag!)

That's the theory, almonds are soaking as we speak so the practice will follow!winking smiley I just thought someone must have tried this before, seems a promising way to proceed at least in theory hence I asked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 03:38PM by chat.

Date: June 18, 2012 01:54PM

I've found turning a nut milk bag inside out and rinsing it under the tap infinitely quicker and easier than dismantling and cleaning all the parts of a juicer but as I said, you'll have to try it for yourself and see. The blender is beyond easy to deal with as well, put some water and a drop of dish soap in, run it for a second, rinse it out and that's it, no taking anything apart. The metal sieve I use only takes a quick rinse too, no parts to take apart or reassemble. I wouldn't use a juicer for this personally but to each their own.

Date: June 18, 2012 02:14PM

Well, in my case "all the parts of the juicer" is only 3!grinning smiley And blender is used in either approach, there is no difference here. Will be making the milk tonight, will see how it goes. If all goes well, straining the milk in a juicer would be definitely more hygienic approach than a bag, whatever the cleaning.

Posted by: Pertwee ()
Date: June 18, 2012 03:04PM

Chat,

Let us know how it works. So basically you are processing in a blender and using a juicer to separate instead of a nut milk bag. Have I got it right?

Claude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 03:05PM by Pertwee.

Date: June 18, 2012 03:25PM

Pertwee Wrote:
> Chat,
>
> Let us know how it works. So basically you are
> processing in a blender and using a juicer to
> separate instead of a nut milk bag. Have I got it
> right?
>
> Claude

Yes, that's right! The idea came when I was about to press the "buy" button for a nut milk bag. I felt somewhat reluctant because not all the reviews were positive: some people complained that the bag does not last long (rips at the seams), others doubted that it was nylon instead of cotton, plus I had my above worries that making the milk using the bag may prove off-putting.

And then I read in a recent thread on this forum that Jgunn bought a nut milk maker, and was very happy with it precisely because it involves zero mess and effort to strain:

Jgunn Wrote:
> i bought a soybella
> [www.discountjuicers.com] best
> hundred bucks i spent on a small appliance .. i
> use about a small handfull of nuts/seeds at the
> most, it doesnt heat the milk , and its done in
> about 1 minutes, easy to clean
>
> it has a self contained stainless steel mesh
> strainer in it, so no straining thru messy bags
> which i dont like the taste of or cleaning of smiling smiley

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

And some other people on that thread commented that they too were getting fed up straining milk in the bag. So I thought perhaps I should buy the appliance too, and then - well, I already spent way more than a hundred bucks on a juicer, blender, food processor..... And then I thought: juicer!smiling smiley Perhaps I can make it do the job, after the almonds have been blended by the blender, since the juicer equally has a stainless steel mesh strainer in it.

Will definitely write back tonight how it went, I'm kind of sure that there shouldn't be a problem but I'm interested in how dry the pulp will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 03:28PM by chat.

Posted by: Pertwee ()
Date: June 18, 2012 03:48PM

Excellent suggestion. I have a centrifugal (and a Vitamix) and will give it a try.

Claude

Date: June 19, 2012 11:18AM

What can I say apart from IT WORKED!!

This is the milk:

And this is the pulp, in the centrifuge and then emptied on the plate. As you can see it is paper dry!

This is the pulp in a jar, it's in the fridge now until tonight when I'll be cooking something with itgrinning smiley

I realised too late that i should have taken the pictures "in the process"! I will next time. But I really think it worked perfectly! Not ideal it's true - the ideal would be to use a device like Jgunn's which both blends and strains the milk. But I'm glad I didn't buy the nut milk bag, and that in order to make the milk I don't have to squirt it out of anything. This idea was very off-putting for me, but with the juicer I enjoyed the process hence I will be making the milk again for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 11:22AM by chat.

Date: July 05, 2012 11:43PM

Made the second batch of almond milk today, again using the juicer to strain the milk from the pulp. This time I added the milk as the juicer was spinning, and it worked just as well as adding it before turning the juicer on (as i did previous time).

The only precaution I took was doing it gradually to avoid splashes, the centrifuge is really fast when spinning and pouring the milk in enthusiastically can result in tiny milk splashes flying out of the feeding tube.

Posted by: health2share ()
Date: September 13, 2014 03:25AM

chat Wrote:
> This is the centrifugal bowl. This is also pretty
> much the only part of the juicer, apart from the
> lid on top and a plastic pusher for
> fruits/veggies. The sides of the bowl are sieves,
> and the bottom of the bowl is grating surface
> (which will not be used since I will pour the
> mixture already blended)
>
> [csimg.pricesavvy.co.uk]
> 525/T/340x340/C/FFFFFF/url/magimix-17631-juice-ext
> ractor.jpg

I have been expermenting with this same concept, only with raw sprouted oat milk. First I blend the sprouted oats with water, then pour it through my Breville juicer. However, my Breville spits lots of the liquid into the pulp bin. It seems like the juicer with a basket like you have pictured here should work pretty good as long as the mesh of the basket is fine enough. What juicer do you have pictured that you were using for the almond milk?

Melody

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 03:33AM by health2share.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables