Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green smothie For Newbie
Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 07, 2008 08:30AM

I am new & hear all this talk about Green Smothies.
Can someone tel me what they are since I was unable to get a clear definition on this site.

I thought it would be a great way to get my raw greens into my diet since I dont enjoy them & especially sitting there & chewing something I dont like.However,I could probally put them in a blender if that is what a smoothie is.

Where can I find recipies 4them?
Also,does anyone know of a simple way to incorporate raw greens into my diet?
I enjoy greens steamed but not RAW.
I thought someone w/ experiece felt the same way at one point and learned to tweek a little something so the greens are now at least doable.

As stated,steam greens,w/ cold pressed olive oil & some hot peper and garlic powder are pretty good & I discovered last night I enjoy rae spinach as long as I can top it with traditional mustard and ketchup,although,my guess is the ket. & mustard are no good 4me or good for me on greens/
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green smothie For Newbie
Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 07, 2008 12:21PM

Green smoothies are an excellent way to get greens.

I usually just put whatever I have in the blender.

Kale, Spinach, Mint, Apple and water is a nice combination.

I am not a recipe-ist, so maybe someone else has something in those regards.

As for your ketchup/mustard green eating habits, perhaps you would enjoy a raw homemade dressing. Ketchup is just tomato, vinegar and sugar. Try soaking sun-dried tomatoes in water and put them in a food processor with fresh tomatoes until it's a ketchup consistency. Add a little agave and apple cider vinegar (with the mother). There's some ketchup! As for the mustard, I got nothing for you. I don't like the stuff. I assume you would get mustard seeds or the powder, grind up and add vinegar.
Just experiment with spices you like and blend them with some kind of cold-pressed oil and vinegar for a nice way to dress those greens. smiling smiley

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 07, 2008 11:17PM

oh you like ketsup? make a gaspacho soup. use tomatoes, celery, any and all greens, and maybe some sweet peppers or avocado if you are up for it. put it in a blender.

good luck.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 22, 2008 03:52PM

Green smoothies are basically just greens and fruit - usually - blended in a smoothie; preferably a high powered one so that the blade will break the tough cell walls of certain vegetables(cruciferous) I summed that up from "green for life" , a book about pretty much greens.

kale is not a green, nor is spinach, collard greens, etc. - these are shown to actually irritate the body and are called cruciferous vegetables; baby spinach is acceptable because it's low in oxalic acid ( I loove baby spinach smiling smiley ) --just click on the link below, it explains they aren't useless but pretty much hard to deal with in general

anyway, here's the link that helped me and should help you out a lot!
[www.raw-food-health.net]

here's a link that takes about the whole variety of foods, not just vegetables, as well
[www.raw-food-health.net]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2008 03:06PM

Hi, I'm new person interested in green and raw veggie. My concern is how do I keep raw food fresh. I went to the store for raw veggie and store then in my refrig for just one day and the veggie start going bad. Do everyone go to the store if they want fresh veggie or do I need eat these veggies right away. I would like a recipes for raw veggie to last at least for two days. Can someone give me some advise?

Posted by: lemonbalm ()
Date: August 05, 2008 02:14AM

I recommend getting a special thermometer for your fridge. I bought mine at Walmart, I think. They are cheap enough. Far cheaper than losing veggies to spoilage. I had to get my fridge temp to 40 degrees F. I used to have this problem and didn't know what was wrong. My greens last a lot longer now.

Date: August 06, 2008 03:12PM

My kids call me the mad scientist of the green smoothie! We add everything- even peeled zucchini! beets and beet greens, spinach, parsley, kale, romaine or other salad greens.. I make a base with the veggies and add enough fruit to make it palatable. I have children from 6 to 15 (6 in all) and they all drink anywhere from 16 to 64 ounces a day!

Posted by: MARBLEFOX ()
Date: August 12, 2008 01:25PM

Hello Newbie, Last year when I started working with raw I asked the same question. Here is a recipe I tweaked a bit. And one suggestion was to take the kale, cut out the hard spine first, I wash the kale, cut it smallish and freeze individual servings in baggies... Yes I know it is now frozen, but it keeps and I was told it has a sweeter flavor and when it is frozen & you can sort of smash the baggie and it breaks the kale into really small pieces. So here is my recipe

1 banana
2 pineapple rounds (I still don't know if you keep the core or not when blending)
1 handful of kale
1 chopped ginger root medallion
a few ice cubes, 1/2 - cup of water... you can play with this to get the right consistency for you
I also add 1/2 scooper of my particular brand of protein powder, it thickens the mixture and it is more like a shake...
add a mint leaf or two if you like
Blend away!

I have this with a handful of raw walnuts for breakfast, it is tasty and filling.

Good Luck!

Date: August 24, 2008 11:30PM

I have a question as well - I am a newbie here.

I just got a vitamix (used on Ebay) and I have been doing fruit smoothies every day.
I just started adding spinach last week and this week I bought sprouts and kale and will also try romaine.

My question about nuts (protein)

I was putting soaked almonds or pumpkin or sunflower seeds in the fruit smoothies each day.
Along with a spoonful of ground flax.

Can I continue to use nuts & flax with the green smoothies?

My concern was maybe it was too much?? or the mix together may be harder to digest it all??

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 29, 2008 10:14PM

I have not used nuts before, but often put in a scoop of sprouted & ground flax in my green smoothies. I am going to try some nuts in my next few.

flash

Posted by: sunshazza ()
Date: October 21, 2008 05:53PM

To keep your vegetables fresh for longer try wrapping them up tightly in plastic bags before putting them in the fridge, they should last about 2-3 days.Sometimes longer.

Someone asked about combining fruits and nuts in their smoothies. This is usually a bad combination as this can cause indegestion in some people and do not really work well together. You should only have that combination now and again, but everyday is a bit too much.

Some delicious easy smoothies for you all to try:

1 coconut (water and flesh)
1 handful of baby spinach
small amount of parsley
1 avocado

####

1 large handful of baby spinach
1 celery stick
3 bananas
1/2 punnet blueberries
1 glass water

Nice and Easy and Delicious

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables