Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

You Don't Need a Vitamix or Dehydrator
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2008 10:15PM

Just a few hints that I wish I'd learned a lot sooner and hope they will help someone else go raw that much more easily.

I've had 2 Vitamixes at 2 different times. Ended up having to sell both because I needed the money. Green smoothies were the reason I had a Vitamix. I tried to make them in a regular blender, but it didn't work. Out of desperation, I tried it in this old, cheap Hamilton Beach food processor (Model 702-5) and it worked great! No cutting things up, just put in whole. I used endive, spinach, kale, tomatoes, frozen whole strawberries (froze them myself), peaches (cut in half to get pit out). Add water in the food processor or after you pour it into something else. I use mason jars, so it has a top and I can just shake it to mix the water. By the way, use the S-blade (writing on processor base calls it a Steel blade, but it's also shaped like an S).

I have a cheap dehydrator. Works fine, but the raw diet has made me think about natural methods of getting things done. I cut up a squash (like you would slice a tomato--so you have a bunch of wheel-like slices), arranged the pieces on a plate, and set them outside in the summer sun. How long it takes to dehydrate depends on the thickness of the pieces and what you are dehydrating (squash is denser than tomato, so squash will take a little longer). The direct sun will keep bugs off (bring it inside or cover it once direct sun isn't available). And you have used zero electricity! I don't see why this wouldn't work with anything that needs dehydrating. If you try this, I bet your experiences would be helpful to others regarding specifics like time frames.

This may not be new to anyone else, but it is to me. I found that using a pizza cutter makes it really fast & easy to cut greens into small pieces.

This seems counterintuitive, but leaving many fruits and veggies just out on the counter at room temperature seems to make them last longer than putting them in the fridge. I have no specific comparisons, but tomatoes, squash, cucumber, and melons seem to have lasted longer on my counter than in the fridge. I don't think this works for greens. Also, any produce you do put in the fridge lasts a lot longer with those green produce bags. They really do work just like they say.

Hope this stuff helps.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables