Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Pickles?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:41PM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for raw pickles. I used to own the RAW: the Uncook Book by Juliano which had a pickle recipe in it, but I gave it to a friend. If anyone has that book, I'll take that recipe, otherwise, feel free to share others you may have collected.

Thanks,
Liz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Pickles?
Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 31, 2006 03:47AM

Boutenko has great recipe at website www.rawfamily.com. Here's recipe and my friend's comments. I have made them and delish to the max.

These are amazing!! And last a long time. HOWEVER, make sure you use pickling cucumbers and not regular cukes. It will not work with the larger cukes.

Time to pickle!
Raw Family's Famous Rawssian Pickles Recipe:
(served at Raw Family booth at all Raw Food Festivals in Portland)

Ingredients:

3 lbs pickling cucumbers

1/2 big bunch of Pickling dill (with seeds)

4 horseradish leaves (for crunchiness)

1 medium head garlic

6 cups of water

9 Tablespoons of sea salt.

Cut one quarter of an inch off both ends of pickling cucumbers. Stuff the cucumbers into a glass gallon jar with garlic, dill (with seeds), and fresh horseradish leaves. If you have hard time finding horseradish leaves, you may use grape, currant or cherry leaves instead.

Mix the water and salt in a blender.

Pour the salt-water into the gallon jar so that the pickles are covered. If needed, add plain water to completely submerge the pickles. Let this jar sit on the counter covered with a cloth for two days. On the third day the pickles will be pickled enough to eat. If you will decide after four or five days that you want them to stop pickling, drain the water, cover the jar with lid and place them in the refrigerator.

Yields: 1 gallon of pickles

Warning: This dish contains large amount of salt, please eat sparingly!
==========
carolg

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: November 12, 2006 04:17PM

I love raw pickles but my body can no longer tolerate any added salt and I get swollen painful joints from eating even raw pickles due to the salt.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 12, 2006 09:07PM

When I make saurkraut I use a fraction of the salt that the recipe claims. With the above recipe you could probably get a way with 1 or 2 Tablespoons (which still seems a lot, so maybe even less). Of course, I've only done the skimpy salt thing on cabbage based fermenting (I dislike cucumbers, in fact I can't stand them), but I think it should work anyway.

There are some salt free ferment veggie recipes in the "wild fermentation" book (or is called "fermentation frenzy", can't remember of the top of my head).

Ian.

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:00PM

I always start my kraut or pickles with less salt and add salt daily if needed. I don't like very salty things either.
carolg

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: July 14, 2010 08:31PM

I make a version where i use not too much salt!
i take a quart jar, any size will work. fill jar with cucumber slices, or whole ones. you can throw any combo in there with it. for instance, 1 hot pepper or sweet bell pepper slices. per quart jar i recommend 2-3 whole or sliced cloves garlic. all ya gotta do is fill jar with veggies. then pour approx. 2-3 tbls agave syrup. 1 tbls dill seed or some fresh dill. 1 tbls salt, then fill jar half with cider vinegar, then top second half off with water. refrigerate for 7 days, then they are perfect. I recommend putting 1 bay leaf, or ideally a fresh grape leaf. boutenko uses horeradish leaf. these leaves will keep the pickles super crisp. adjust the pickliing liquid to your tastes.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: July 14, 2010 09:33PM

I have a wonderful fermenting jar called the Perfect Pickler that makes pickles, kraut, kim chi etc. Look it up, it came with lots of recipes and I get a newsletter now and then with even more. The last one was for pickled lettuces, they stay crunchy and looked delish!

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: July 22, 2010 04:32AM

I sell a pickle, sourkraut, kimchi maker on my web site. For pickles - celtic sea salt, whole mustard seeds,dill and probiotics powder.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:57AM

I love with a passion, pickled green beans...best pickles to ever existgrinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: July 23, 2010 06:13AM

That is so strange. I just saw my post from 4 years ago. That was when I was first getting arthritis but didn't know what it was. That I blamed it on salt for a while I had totally forgotten! I believe I was wrong about the salt.

Date: August 10, 2010 11:16AM

Hi..

Thanks for sharing the post and the information which you share with recipe is useful and i am going to try...

Posted by: jthompson ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:25PM

Hi,

I was just wondering how long these pickles will keep? We have LOTS of cucumbers and I normally would can them in the boiling water bath to preserve them for the winter. But, since we have begun this raw journey, it would be nice to know how to keep them until next season. Keeping them in the refrigerator would take up more space than I can spare.

Has anyone tried some type of dehydrated cucumbers or pickles?

Date: August 13, 2010 08:21AM

...Pickle...chips?... that could be quite tasty actually...hmmm, especially if they could be made crispy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 14, 2010 12:03AM

Let's see if this picture will work.
Pickled/fermented green beans for you Curator. They're delicious!

[www.flickr.com]

Shoot, can only make a clickable link.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 12:08AM by coco.

Posted by: teresa412009 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 05:17AM

raw pickles taste good,but I think you should wash it for several times

Date: September 15, 2010 01:59PM

Why would you wash a pickle several times? That's, um, a bit odd...

Date: September 15, 2010 06:02PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *resists urge to eat computer screen* im glad your enjoying them coco,lol...last time I had some, I ate a whole jar in one sitting without even realizing it,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 26, 2010 06:33AM

Hi,

I was just wondering how long these pickles will keep? We have LOTS of cucumbers and I normally would can them in the boiling water bath to preserve them for the winter. wedding dresses
custom wedding dressesBut, since we have begun this raw journey, it would be nice to know how to keep them until next season. Keeping them in the refrigerator would take up more space than I can spare.

Has anyone tried some type of dehydrated cucumbers or pickles? [www.wellbridal.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables