Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Menus
Posted by: tvanilla ()
Date: June 22, 2006 05:51PM

I would like to know how people combine their meals. For example, in the S.A.D. you generally select a meat, a starch and some side vegetables. Or in Italian meals you generally have a soup or pasta course then a meat, vegetable and bread course. I think Indian meals have dahl, rhaita and flat bread (but I could be wrong)

So what is the best way to plan Raw meals?

and/or

Could people post their favourite menus?

Thanks for the help!

~Tvanilla

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Menus
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: June 22, 2006 07:03PM

Well, I don't really plan "menus", since I only uncook for myself, I just plan my meals based on a) the ingredients I have, b) proper food combining principles, and c) what tastes good.

Since I usually eat quite simply, a full-blown meal would look like:
a) a huge salad w/dressing
b) pate, sliced veggies, and wrappers to wrap them up in (nori or lettuce)
c) a big bowl of blended raw soup, maybe some crudites on the side

If I were preparing raw meals for company, I would probably make all of the above and give them small portions of each, perhaps with some raw bread or crackers.

Date: June 23, 2006 12:48AM

okay.

so my other thought is what recipes go well together.

like what soups would go best with what salads.

Still thinking outloud.

~Tammie

Date: June 24, 2006 01:35AM

Maybe a gaspacho with tabouli, miso soup with sushi, cream of spinach with a marinated mushroom-based salad, cream of mushroom soup with a crispy sandwich, pumpkin soup with coconut ravioli, lemon butter soup with lasagna, sea noodle soup with flatbreads and almond mayo...
Something like that?

Date: June 26, 2006 03:32PM

That's Fantastic.

See that's what I was looking for -combinations of different items to make meals.

Thank you so much.

Anyone else have ideas?

~Tvanilla

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 26, 2006 03:49PM

When I prepare meals I like them to have a theme.
Here a mediterranean themed meal I like:
- raw hummus (many recipes out there) and sliced veggies
- tabouli (sub hemp seeds for bulgar wheat)
- raw falafel
- raw baklava (thin apple slices for phyllo)

Ian.

Date: June 28, 2006 01:16AM

Italian:

-zucchini fettucini alfredo
-garlic "bread"sticks
-pesto (to dip breadsticks in)
-ensalata tricolore (fresh sliced tomatoes, cheeze, fresh basil, sea salt and/or garlic)

Chinese:

-stir unfry
-miso mushroom soup w/slivered ginger, leeks and scallions
-flax crackers with dipping sauces (one sweet and one spicy)

Japanese:

-vegetable sushi
-miso soup
-"rice" with marinated mushrooms

American:

-gardenburgers (on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles(homemade), homemade mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc.)
-jicama fries (or cheeze fries)
-side garden salad

Date: June 28, 2006 02:16PM

All suggestions so far are brillant.

I am still transition to raw. I currently eat raw until dinner then I make a choice between raw or cooked foods at that point.

With the menu selections you've been giving me, my choices will more likely go more raw now. Thanks!

Last night I had boston lettuce wraps with avocado, tomato and sprout filling. partnered with cucumber spears sprinkled with sea salt and some sunflower seed flax cracker/bread topped with the same filling.

Afterwards, I ate a pudding of banana, strawberries and greens powder.

That means yesterday was my first ALL RAW DAY.

~Tammie

Date: June 30, 2006 10:47PM

Congradulations Tammie! rawk on!
The more you uncook, the more confortable with it you will become, and pretty soon you will feel as though your options are limitless. Then, (oddly enough) you are likely to feel inclined to limit your culinary creations to a few favorites, and transition toward very very simple recipes, or even mono-eating (one food at a time) and perhaps "proper" food combining. Until then, feel free to mix up anything you like, and anything (raw) that you crave. If you crave meat or cooked meat substitutes, (protein and mineral craving) try some soaked seaweed and nuts, or recipes with these as ingredients, like nutloaves etc. If you crave things like milk, milkshakes etc., try nutmilks, nut milk smoothies, or fresh dark greens (calcium and other mineral craving). If you want cakes, cookies, candies, etc, (sugar craving) try fresh or dried fruit, fruit leathers, or fruit smoothies. Feel free to PM me with any other questions, or more recipes.
-mallow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables