Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brownies with Chocolate Icing
Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: August 08, 2006 02:16AM

I got this recipe from a girl named Raw Priestess in another forum. She's the queen of coming up with yummy and creative dishes. I have to say, this one is a masterpiece! My life is complete now that I can eat brownies!

Brownies

1 cup walnut (unsoaked)
1 cup dates (pitted unsoaked)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (you may use carob if you like)

place in food processor, and blend until well blended, should still be dry and chunky, maybe blend about 30 seconds,

press into a small spring form pan

refridgerate until you can insert a knife and it isn't too sticky

cut into little pieces, then pop into a zip lock baggie and freeze

they can be eaten fresh, from the fridge or from the freezer, they won't last long though.

Chocolate Frosting

1T. coconut butter
1T. cocoa
few grains sea salt
squirt agave
few drops vanilla

I tripled this recipe because I only had a large spring form pan. If you don't have one...go out and get one because this recipe is worth it!! (I got mine at Target)

I also used pecans instead of walnuts and it still turned out great. I made the brownies first then put them in a fridge till they set. Then I made the frosting and had to stir the glass bowl inside another bowl of warm water to get the coconut butter to liquify. Then I poured the mixture on the brownies and put it back in the fridge for 15 till it set.

They taste like real, fudgey SAD brownies!...Get ready to be satisfied.

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brownies with Chocolate Icing
Date: August 08, 2006 03:10AM

Jen Rose

Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:54PM

wow, this looks delicious. I'm new to the whole vegan thing, let alone raw food which I want to get onto in the next few months. At the moment I am missing cakes and milk chocolate most, so I think this will be a good substitute.
Humbug

Date: August 11, 2006 09:50AM

I just made them, they're totally jummy!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe!

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: August 12, 2006 12:00AM

Thanks for posting the beeeeautiful pictures!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 13, 2006 12:48AM

I just made them, wow, really good. Can't wait to show them off to my friends later tonight.

Thanks!
Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2006 03:40PM

Looks great! re: frosting- Since I don't use cocoa because it's not raw, can carob be substituted with the same effect? Thank you.

Date: August 14, 2006 05:12PM

I think carob would be a good substitution if you don't have or eat any raw cocao powder.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2006 06:28AM

re: you replied cocao--did you mean cacao powder or cocoa powder? There is no truly raw cocoa powder. And I don't use cacao powder because of the stimulating effect and other reasons.

Date: August 15, 2006 06:35PM

Ah, I'm really bad at spelling and get things like cocao, cacao and cocoa mixed up (what is the difference between these anyway?). I made my batch of these with raw cacao powder (I was grinding my own beans, but found it was a little on the gritty side - then found some in powder form).

Of course, I like the stimulating effect (I keep a bag of whole cacao beans when I'm driving long distances).

Still, I think carob would be the best substitution if you don't do the chocolate thing.

Cheers,
Ian.
P.S.: Please let us know how they come out with carob!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2006 06:36PM by sodoffsocks.

Date: August 15, 2006 06:51PM

Yes, in the original post it said you can use carob if you like...I'm going to try that next time since even cocoa had a wierd stimulating effect on me....I don't even bother with cocao it makes me feel like I'm having a heart attack.

Jen Rose

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: August 23, 2006 08:35AM

i just tried this tonight.. so rich and VERY sweet. i didn't even use all the dates and added little agave. regardless, it was very delicous. a great dessert to take to parties!

Date: September 11, 2006 12:34AM

I love this recipe. I just made them again, but substitute raw Cacao Butter for the coconut butter/oil. I've just sampled them and they are yummy. I'll take them to a party later and see what type of reception they get. winking smiley

I agree with lilpaws, they are so rich and sweet. I can normally only eat a slice or two, while my none raw friends (used to refined sugars and such, I guess) seem to be able to wolf down slice after slice. winking smiley

Thanks again for passing along the recipe.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 13, 2006 06:04PM

I have had these before, but the recipe can from my "Raw Foods Made Easy" recipe book. They are SO yummy! I bought them in to my office for the girls to try and they loved them. Yummy!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 30, 2006 09:13PM

SOLD OUT!

i brought these to a gathering last night, and not only did my other raw-eating mom love them, but they were gone before anything else!

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: October 03, 2006 03:31PM

I've made these twice now and they are so yummy. (Once with walnuts and once with pecans).

I'm quite new to this though, so couple of basic questions. Perhaps you could help me pls, because I think these are going to be one of my favourite treats.

I don't have any coconut butter - so used raw cacao butter instead for the icing. I ended up using a thermometer in the bowl of water(that I put my glass bowl with the raw cacao butter in) to make sure that the water wasn't too warm. I found it really hard work to melt the cacao butter. What is the max temp that the water could be? I'm guessing it shouldn't have been that difficult. Any handy tips?

Also, what is the difference between using coconut butter or cacao butter (apart from the taste)? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy myself some raw coconut butter, but I have only just bought the raw cacao butter, so would like to use it, if poss. Which one is the best to use?

My icing came out really thin the first time and so the second time I made extra. I'm supposing the 'T' did stand for tablespoon, I couldn't think what else it would be. Are the rest of you putting the icing on before you put the brownies in the fridge to set? (Being new to this I didn't, and of course it starts to set as soon as it touches the cold brownies after I had let the base set in the fridge).

I should really like to try to make a choc cheesecake. The base of the brownie recipe would be fine for the base. Any ideas how to make a topping that would be like a choc cheesecake?

Thanks,
John

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 06, 2006 07:22PM

Yogamamma,
Tell us more about your book--"Raw Foods Made Easy" recipe book. Thanks.

Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: October 11, 2006 01:08AM

I'll add my 2 cents--I made these (without the icing) and they are unbelievable. I swear they're even better than cooked brownies!

Peace and Blessings,
Suzy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables