Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is coconut just not raw? how about walnuts, etc.?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:43AM

Hi, I'm new to this and am running into quite a few questions. First of all, is coconut pretty much simply never available raw unless you cut it yourself? If so, how do you shred and dry it? Also, why are shelled walnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc. not sproutable? Should I still soak them? Thanks for any help!
- Liz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is coconut just not raw? how about walnuts, etc.?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:41PM

Coconut is pretty much always raw unless you are buying some processed stuff at the store. When I'm going camping I like to take some dried coconut with me. I cut the coconut open, drink the juice, scrape out the flesh, cut it into small cubes, toss it in the dehydrator over night, then it's ready to eat.

Have you had much luck sprouting nuts with their shells on?

Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2006 06:37AM

I contacted Living Tree Community and they said their coconut is not raw so now I'm confused. As far as sprouting nuts with thier shells on, I haven't tried. I just know that when I asked the online people I wanted to buy nuts from if thier nuts were sproutable they said no, stating that this was because they were out of their shells. Are these types of nuts simply typically not sprouted? If so, they are still soaked, right? Thanks so much for your help!
- Liz

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 29, 2006 12:27AM

Young coconuts are raw but the flesh is very jelly like because they have not aged and are not "dried out". This is your brown coconut that is hard and dried out. After that, who knows how it's processed. However, tropical traditions {[www.tropicaltraditions.com]} has raw, flaked coconut. Check them out.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

ReLiz, are you from the Padanaram Community?
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 30, 2006 02:31PM

nt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables