Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Goji Berries?
Posted by: Crisyn ()
Date: January 25, 2007 12:25AM

I just got my order of Goji Berries, and I have to ask you all what they are supposed to taste like, because I can't imagine that these are right.
They taste like old tea leaves, a really mild flavor. I soaked them in water for a few hours, because they were really hard and chewy (not like raisins, as I had expected), and they still don't taste any better.
If this is what they are supposed to taste like, what do you all use them for, because I can't imagine just eating these out of the bag?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goji Berries?
Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: January 27, 2007 03:42AM

They have a very distinct semi medicinal taste... soaking tends to leach out most of the flavour. If I soak I blend with the water.

They take some getting used to but are yummy once you have a taste for them. I loved them from the start, but use in small amounts. You don't use as much as raisins or other super sweet dried fruit.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 30, 2007 08:29AM

Where did you order them from? That can have something to do with it. The brand that WholeFoods carries sucks.

I don't really like them and can't really explain the taste either.. Kind of rich and off. Harder and chewier than raisins. I've gotten used to them and don't mind them but it's not something I really enjoy eating. It doesn't have any "Berry" taste at all like I expected.

If you need something to do with them you might want to try this..
[rawguru.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 08:31AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: February 01, 2007 04:43AM

They are good in smoothies.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 07, 2007 02:48AM

they all contain sulfur...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2007 07:49PM

I put them in my smoothie. It contains 1-2 Tbs gojies, 12 strawberry, 2 bananas, 1 Tbs maca. Mix and ready to enjoy.

Maria

Date: March 14, 2007 07:49PM

I put them in my smoothie. It contains 1-2 Tbs gojies, 12 strawberry, 2 bananas, 1 Tbs maca and some water. Mix and ready to enjoy.

Maria

Date: March 14, 2007 07:50PM

I put them in my smoothie. It contains 1-2 Tbs gojies, 12 strawberries,
2 bananas, 1 Tbs maca and some water or orange juice. Mix and ready to enjoy.

Date: March 14, 2007 09:11PM

Thanks for all the responses!
I checked out the Goji berries from a few other sources, and they were all similar in taste and scent. So, I guess Goji berries are just an acquired taste :-)
I ended up putting a few tbsp in my smoothies, and I haven't noticed the taste at all, so I guess that is how I will use these up!
Thanks again!

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: March 20, 2007 08:36AM

I just read on the gliving network that Goji berries were to be banned in America on March 23rd. What is this about? wow.

Date: March 21, 2007 12:16AM

I think it is the UK that is having issues with Goji berries, not the US.
Here is the link I read....
[gliving.tv]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables