Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sea Vegetable Recipes
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: June 06, 2007 05:35PM

I would like to start adding sea veg (nori, arame etc) to my diet on a regular basis. I have been vegan for a long time and veggie before that, but even as a meat eater ... I never liked the taste of sea food or stuff from the sea.

So do you have any recipes to mask the taste of the sea veg, so that I can enjoy having them in my food.

I have tried nori rolls and I sadly really didn't enjoy the taste of them (even though I wanted to).

I would like to add them to my raw blended green soups. I don't mind the bitter taste of the soups, so I don't sweeten them. I'm thinking ginger might help to mask the flavour.

Pls share your ideas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sea Vegetable Recipes
Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: June 10, 2007 09:37PM

While transitioning I ate quite a lot of nori. I've since read where sea veggies leach a bit of the B12 out of our systems (?) whatever, I occasionally will eat some, just don't do a daily lunch anymore.

Nori rolls -

Use raw, organic untoasted nori sheets & roll around

1. A large leaf of your favorite green, slices of avocado, tomato and cucumber

2. Spiral sliced - zucchini, leftover tomato sauce

3. Spiral sliced - cucumber, tomatoes, daikon radish/cabbage or another veggie

4. Sprouts (alfalfa or clover are my favs),strips of cucumber & salsa

5. Sprouts, guacamole & salsa

(Nori is one the easiest and most fun ways to eat sea veggies - just play with it till you get something you like)

Bonobo's restaraunt in NYC serves theirs w/a nut or seed based pate spead on first then they add 3-5 of your favorite veggies before rolling.

Simply,
Lesa

Date: June 11, 2007 02:45PM

Lesa,
Many thanks for your kind reply to my message and for kindly sharing your Nori Roll recipe.

I'm sure some of the members of the forum will enjoy your Nori roll recipe, so many thanks.

Sadly as I said ... I have tried Nori rolls before and really did not like the taste of them (sorry for all of you who love them ... I have never liked the taste of avocado or stuff from the sea). I would really like some recipes that will hide the taste of the sea vegetables.

Any other ideas???????
Pls share.
Thanks,
John

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 14, 2007 05:18PM

i personally love a soaked and strained hijiki salad mixed with a rich sesame tahini dressing - raw tahini/sesame oil/garlic/nama shoyu. I toss in some chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes and sometimes top it off with a few raw cashews or sunflower seeds as well. it's a great salad. hijiki really lends itself well to the flavors of sesame.

another favorite is mixing the hijiki with a cashew "cream cheeze" and finely shredded carrots. I will season the carrot-hijiki salad with garlic, dill and/or a bit of finely chopped red onion or chives, nama shoyu (or sea salt) and mix the whole thing together till it looks creamy.

red salty dulse is fantastic wrapped around large pitted medjool dates that has been stuffed with a few raw almonds or raw almond butter. the sweet and salty combo is amazing.

soaked and strained wakame is great with a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and nama shoyu.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
courage
love
Bikini

Date: June 15, 2007 03:25PM

Hello Bikini,
Many thanks for your very interesting ideas and help.

John

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:41PM

I love red salty dulse. I found myself eating tons at a time and now I don't know where to order same. Suggestions please? 2 or 4 ounces is nothing for me. I love it in my fresh green salads just thrown in, with out soaking too. Thanks.
carolg

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 19, 2007 01:55PM

carolg,

try ordering your dulse from goldmine natural foods company. they are a large macrobiotic company located in california that has a great catalogue. they may have bulk dulse.

another possibility is to place a large order for a case of dulse packages from your local Whole Foods Market. they discount 10% for all case orders.

you might also want to try scouting around your neighborhood for an "old school" style health food store that has bulk bins. in the city i live in we have a few of them and one of them carries all types of seaweeds in bulk which makes it easy to buy the amount i want.

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: green gal ()
Date: June 19, 2007 07:33PM

Hi friends

So, I recently found a raw product called "kelp noodles"
they are really delicious, made completely from kelp, and have a really neutral taste, go wonderful with simple sauces, or chopped avocado and tomatoes. I found them to be one of the easiest ways to get in my sea veggies, and they are also much more durable "noodles" than the squash or zucchini versions made in the spiral slicer. Check them out, see if they work for you and your body!
best

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 07:30AM

I bought some a mixed sea vegetable pack from ClearSpring, and at first, found it quite pleasant, then the more I ate, the more I thought 'eurggh.....'!

I don't mind nori (used to quite like vegan sushi), but eating the sea vegetables as part of a big salad just felt weird. I think I could happy just chew on it, but when mixed with other foods, it didn't feel right to me.

< fussy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables