Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spicy lentil Chutney
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 05, 2007 06:29PM

Chutney:

Soak 1 cup of lentils (Thoor Dhal - available at any Indian store) in water overnight (at least 8 hrs)

Drain water and add the following:

1. 1 tsp Red chilly seeds (red chillies are available at any Indian stores and the bag will have a lot of whole red chilles and also seeds. For this one we just use seeds)

2. Pinch of Hing (LG - available at any Indian stores)
This is optional, but if you are Indian, you will know that this what adds real flavor to the chutneysmiling smiley

3. 1 tbsp Tamarind (This is available at any Indian stores - this is raw and you can soak it in water for an hour, so it becomes soft - easy to blend)
or lemon juice if thats preferred.
Tamarind is alkalizing to the body and acts just like lemon, it adds a brown color to all chutneys.

4. 1/2 spoon honey optional

5. sea salt 1/2 tsp

6. 1 Tbsp coconut fresh grated

Blend all this in your Vitamix. Do not add lots of water. I would add just about 2 Tbsp of watre to this. Thats it. Blend well. Thats it.

This chgutney can be used with flax crackers or with salads. It can be used as dipping/dressing on salads or fruits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spicy lentil Chutney
Date: June 05, 2007 06:37PM

Also, spicy Tomato chutney

Soak one cup of lentils (see above recipe). Drain water.

Add 1 tsp red chilly seeds
1 Tbsp tamarind or lemon juice
1 cup sun dried tomatoes
1 small tomato
Sea salt 1/2 tsp
honey 1/2 spoon optional
1 tsp cocnut raw grated, fresh

Pinch of Hing (see above) optional

Blend all this in your vitamix with 2 Tbsp water.
Onion powder may be added to this (before you blend)

Enjoy!!!

This is a very popular chutney in India, but traditionally Tomatoes are thoughly cooked in oil and then blended, but the raw version tastes equally good. Tamarind (or lemon juice) will alkalize any acid that the chillies and totamo will cause.

Use less chillies if this is too hot (it can be)
Because of the tangy taste, it can used with raw breads or salads.

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: June 06, 2007 01:40AM

Raw, unsprouted lentils?! Would any kind of lentil work (red, yellow, etc.)? Didn't realize they could be eaten safely without sprouting. Awesome. Thanks.

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Date: June 06, 2007 06:12PM

No I mean sproued lentils. Actually lentils should not be eater without sprouting/cooking. Since I don't "cook", I soak them in water for atleast 8 hours. Drain teh water and then make chutney. The lentils usually sprout in about 8 - 10 hours.

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: June 10, 2007 10:53PM

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were JUST soaking them, as opposed to sprouting too.

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 14, 2007 06:52AM

An, Thanks for the recipes. I love Indian food. Will have to try them out. Therese

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:37PM

An, I've seen tamarind beans. How do you use those in this recipe or is it the bean you are soaking? You only use the pulp inside the bean, right? Thanks. Therese

Date: June 26, 2007 06:56PM

Hi, The tamarind pulp is the only thing we should use. The seeds are not to be eaten. I just soak some tamarind and when it is nice and soft, I throw the seeds and just use the soft pulp for these recipes.

You can also replace the lentils in teh recipe with Coconut (raw, grated). This is also tasty.

Thanks
Anu Ramesh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables