Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what do u do with those orange sweet potatoes?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 14, 2008 04:30AM

kinda curious

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what do u do with those orange sweet potatoes?
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 16, 2008 04:45AM

Surprisingly good juiced with melon and a bit of celery.

Also good grated.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2008 05:54PM

Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potatoes peeled & chopped (blend 1st)
½-1 Apple peeled & chopped
1-2 Garlic cloves
1-2 cups Water
Blend. Add a dash of Sea Salt & Cinnamon on top.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2010 05:09PM

Bake them, peel, cube, add water and mash like potatoes, only no milk needed.. Make awesome fries...peel, slice like fries, toss on cookie sheet with olive oil, pepper...bake at 350 till tender...yum...so sweet. shred and use in stir frys...yum

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 10, 2010 09:30PM

Bake? Fry? Stir fry? What?????

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 10, 2010 11:25PM

Trive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bake? Fry? Stir fry? What?????

LOL...I wonder if she wandered into the wrong site..

*Edit: Joined today and talking about baking and frying on a raw food site. Things that make you go hmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 11:26PM by banana who.

Date: March 11, 2010 03:35PM

OMG I AM AN IDIOT! What was I thinking...lmao. Sorry all!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:47PM

Haven't I heard on this very forum that many sweet potatoes are toxic when eaten raw?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 11, 2010 10:21PM

African yams and white potatoes are. Sweet potatoes are not, but they do have a trypsin inhibitor that prevents protein digestion. This inhibitor is broken down by cooking.

They're tasty juiced. They can also be peeled and eaten like carrots or crackers/chips depending on how you slice them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 10:23PM by veghunter.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: March 13, 2010 10:51PM

They are so sweet, I can imagine they may go into a raw pumpkin pie recipe in place of the pumpkin and a lot less mess, too!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 19, 2010 08:13PM

how bout this, by my lovely buddy Gail?

[divaliciouslyraw.blogspot.com]

I had it for din dins tonight, was GORGEOUS smiling smiley

ps awww bless ya Scratchsmom!

xx

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 09, 2010 09:57AM

The inhibitor I believe is also broken down by chemical cooking, I could be wrong though, as I was just told that by a friend and im not entirely sure where he got his information from... also, they often call the orange ones "yams" in the store, but there are literally almost no actual yams available in the united states, and yams themselves are huuuuge, most of the small ones can weigh over 5 pounds, so if it looks just like a sweet potato, only its red, then its just the red variety of sweet potato that they called yams for the sake of marketing...so they arent toxic.

other than the chemical cooking idea, I really have no idea how else they could be eaten raw if they have that inhibitor...

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: May 10, 2010 08:06PM

I have tried juicing them but got very little juice.

Date: May 10, 2010 10:37PM

I'm about to try out that sunny raw blog recipe for yam chips in the dehydrator along with some plaintain (have to check if that's ok to eat raw or not), it looks amazing and gets rave reviews! Might make up some ranch dressing to go with it, the kids will think they've died and gone to junk food heaven, ha ha! I'll be smiling to myself about getting them to eat so many raw veg and nuts at one sitting.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 11, 2010 12:13AM

I take it back, after further research ive found the enzyme is NOT broken down by chemical cooking, only heat can break down the enzyme in sweet potatoes...

[www.fao.org]

Posted by: teresa412009 ()
Date: May 11, 2010 08:30AM

Sweet Potato Soup

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 11, 2010 11:28AM

A Brazilian poster commented raw sweet potato soup rocks. I make it with my centrifugal juicer and it is sweet.

Curator, your FAO (United Nations) source is a good one, thanks. They note raw sweet potato has a trypsin inhibitor (20 to 90% depending on variety) --

"Trypsin inhibitors are chemicals that reduce the availability of trypsin, an enzyme essential to nutrition of many animals, including humans."
[en.wikipedia.org]

..there's always something, and this doesn't quite turn me off of raw sweet potatoes but is good to know.

The FAO also suggests cutting away any damaged areas plus up to 10mm extra to reduce any toxins associated with blemishes. I can do that.

Here's the FAO text --

"Sweet potato
"Sweet potato contains raffinose, one of the sugars responsible for flatulence. Three of the sugars which occur in plant tissues, raffinose, stachyose and verbascose are not digested in the upper digestive tract, and so are fermented by colon bacteria to yield the flatus gases, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. The level of raffinose present depends on the cultivar. In some parts of Africa the cultivars used are considered too sweet and cause flatulence (Palmer, 1982), Lin et al. (1985) have established that sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity (TIA) ranging from 90 percent inhibition in some varieties to 20 percent in others. There is a significant correlation between the trypsin inhibitor content and the protein content of the sweet potato variety. Heating to 90°C for several minutes inactivates trypsin inhibitors. Lawrence and Walker (1976) have implicated TIA in sweet potato as a contributory factor in the disease enteritis necroticans. This seems doubtful since sweet potato is not usually eaten raw and the activity of the trypsin inhibitor present is destroyed by heat.

"In response to injury, or exposure to infectious agents, in reaction to physiological stimulation or on exposure of wounded tissue to fungal contamination, sweet potato will produce certain metabolites. Some of these compounds, especially the furano-terpenoids are known to be toxic (Uritani, 1967). Fungal contamination of sweet potato tubers by Ceratocystis fimbriata and several Fusarium species leads to the production of ipomeamarone, a hepatoxin, while other metabolites like 4-ipomeanol are pulmonary toxins. Baking destroys only 40 percent of these toxins. Catalano et al. (1977) reported that peeling blemished or diseased sweet potatoes from 3 to 10 mm beyond the infested area is sufficient to remove most of the toxin."

..regarding the possible risk of "enteritis necroticans" --

"Etiology
"All the factors collectively causing CNE are generally only present in the hinterlands of New Guinea and parts of Africa, Latin America, and Asia. These factors include protein deprivation (causing inadequate synthesis of trypsin protease (an enzyme), to which the toxin is very sensitive), poor food hygiene, episodic meat feasting, staple diets containing trypsin inhibitors (sweet potatoes), and infection by Ascaris parasites which secrete a trypsin inhibitor. In New Guinea (origin of the term “pigbel”), the disease is usually spread through contaminated meat (especially pork) and perhaps by peanuts. (CNE was also diagnosed in post WWII Germany, where it was known as Darmbrand or "fire bowels"winking smiley." [en.wikipedia.org]

Raw sweet potatoes haven't given me anything like "fire bowels" but again, good to know.

Thanks

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 11, 2010 12:07PM

..here's another perspective on the disease, enteritis necroticans--

"Epidemiological studies indicated that this disease accounted for 10% of all deaths and for 50% of deaths in children between 6 and 10 years of age in the highlands of Papua New Guinea (8, 9). A marked reduction in mortality and morbidity was obtained by treating the affected patients with Type C antiserum (10). When the children of New Guinea were vaccinated with a toxoid, an 8-fold decrease in annual incidence of the disease was achieved (8).

"Only a few cases have been identified in developed countries (11, 12, 13, 14, 15). In the United States, a case of enteritis necroticans was recently reported in a 12-year-old boy in Georgia with poorly controlled diabetes who ate pig intestines (chitterlings). The patient recovered completely after resection of the necrotic segment of bowel (15). We report a fatal case in the southeastern United States of enteritis necroticans caused by C. perfringens, Type C, in an adult with Type 2 diabetes mellitus."

[www.nature.com]

..unclean animal consumption seems to be a common thread. What's the saying about correlation and causation...

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: May 21, 2010 09:11PM

When I first went raw a few years ago, I had some friends over from work and put out a huge plate of finger veggies....including sweet potatoes cut like french fries. The one lady said that she'd never liked carrot sticks before and wanted to know what I'd done differently. She was shocked when she found that she'd been eating raw sweet potato! She'll never look at the produce section the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables