Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

good oil-alternative for salads....
Posted by: michelle80 ()
Date: November 29, 2007 12:42AM

i stumbled across this by accident...

i was making a salad, and cut the tomato last. it was very ripe, so lots of that juicy/pulpy goop with the seeds squished out as i chopped it. i mixed all of my veggies together, then decided not to waste the tomato goop, so i dumped it all off of my cutting board on top of the salad. i squeezed on some lime juice, added sea salt and dried herbs, and mixed......wow!!!

i usually NEED olive oil on my salad's, but this was great! i thought it might be nice for people that need to avoid oil for health reasons but still like their salads to be "wet".

smiling smiley
michelle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: good oil-alternative for salads....
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: December 04, 2007 06:57AM

i learned this too and was so happy about it. always wondered how id make those dry salads in restaurants better. just bring a tomato with you! also mashing a avocado with your hands into the salad is nice, plus it moisturizes...

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 04, 2007 08:58AM

hee hee u learned the trick huh?
yeah i do that too
dn't even bother putting tomato in blender
just mash it up in the greens

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: December 07, 2007 06:31PM

I have been pureeing tomatoes or cucumber in the blender and adding a salad dressing mix.... that way I get the flavor without the fat. But I am sure the mixing have all sorts of bad for me stuff, so I've been wanting a recipe for homemade ranch dressing. Then I will simply substitute my pureed veggies for their mayonaise and milk.

I just don't know what spices to use! Anybody have an idea?

Thanks,

KathyT

Posted by: sweetpea ()
Date: January 05, 2008 12:53PM

Yes it's great just to blend up some veggies and make a kind of tomato sauce to use as a dressing, oil free.

Date: January 05, 2008 08:55PM

The best book for dressings are in this book:

[www.amazon.com]

also Bryan posted this:

RAW DRESSINGS

1. You take an acid fruit: lemon, limes, tomato, tamarind, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pomelo, pineapple, passion fruit, etc.

2. You take a fatty food: sesame, hemp, sunflower, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia, cashews, avos, coconut, etc

3. You take a filler veggie: celery, cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, etc

Blend. Given than you could easily find 20 acid fruits (there are easily 20 varieties of tomatoes alone), and 10 sources of fat, and 5 fillers, this would give you 1000 different salad dressing combinations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2008 08:56PM by deegarry@yahoo.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables