Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mung sprouting
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2008 02:57PM

Hello,
I'm a newcomer to raw and just attempted to sprout my own mung beans using the mason jar with the plastic lids that have holes.
I soaked them overnight, rinsed the next morning, soaked a few more hours, rinsed and left the jar tilted for another 24 hours--without water. The beans sprouted but didn't sprout as much as I thought they would --- i.e. no tails. Any tips on what I can do next time to get the best out of my mung bean sprouting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mung sprouting
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: January 26, 2008 01:30PM

Here is what I do and it works very well. I use a large mouth mason jar. I put about 3 tablespoons of seeds. I cover with a piece of screening (like from a window/door) and hold in place with a rubber band. I soak about 12 hours first. I rinse and drain. I invert jar so it can drain onto a draining-type rack and I keep the jar in my microwave oven for darkness. Each day after, I rinse twice a day and keep jar inverted in microwave. After about 3 days of darkness when they are getting long, I pull the jar out and keep on my table near a window for some light to 'green' up the tips. It works very well consistently for me. I believe the trick is the darkness - I read this in a book. If you think about it, outside most seeds are planted in the soil and not overtly exposed to light.

I follow this general procedure - albeit with different soak times - for all my sprouting and it works very well.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: lovekk ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:13PM

I sprouted some mung beans as well and would like to know how long can you eat on them before they go bad? I've had mine in the fridge for almost a week and am always adding them to my juices and pate's.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:11PM

lovekk, I usually keep them around until I think they smell bad or get slimy. I find that most sprouts last longer if the seed husk isn't present. For me the spoilage always seems to start with the husks.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 01, 2008 08:34PM

What kind of recipe do you have for mung beans?Salads/soups?

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 05, 2008 12:54AM

loveKK

i used to put my sprouts in the fridge too, but now i dont do it anymore. Putting them in the fridge actually kills them, and they stop growing, so i just keep rinsing them twice a day. So that way, they're always growing and "alive".

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:38PM

Of course, make sure you are getting the beans from a good source.
I soak mine for 12 hrs then drain.
I rinse them again,3 times, throughout the day.
They have about 1/2" tails in about 3 days.
I dont keep mine in total darkness either.
I keep them in the fridge till they get this purplish color,and start to stink.
Then its onto a new batch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables